“Great until checkout”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to St. Pete Beach now for over 20years, I travel from the UK to enjoy the gorgeous weather and to have the perfect beach holiday away from all the hassle of a busy life!

Upon arriving at the Hojo on St. Pete beach, I thought this holiday would be enjoyable. I booked the hotel through hotels.com in the UK a short time before travelling, the pictures of the hotel looked great, however upon arrival my views of the hotel changed somewhat.

We were allocated a room on the 3rd floor, which faced Postcard inn hotel. Upon exiting the lift on the 3rd floor, there was a putrid smell which hit you in the face. I could only describe the smell as cat urine.

The carpet along the corridor was disgusting, the corridor wasn't bright even when the lights were on.
I entered into my room, I could smell a slight musty smell in the air, dirty looking carpet and dirty tiles by the sliding glass door which when opened takes you onto the balcony, (Pictures taken).

Bathroom wasn't the biggest, I saw a few pubic hairs left in the bathtub from the last guest, which then started alarm bells ringing in my ears,.........how clean is this room really?
As a previous person has written, I also could see urine splash marks on the tiles against the toilet, I also noticed a dead fly on the bathroom floor besides the toilet,who also must of been on holiday too, as he/she didn't leave the floor during the whole time I stayed there!
Also the sink in the bathroom was a quarter full of dirty water, again I asked the housekeepers about getting it removed, their response was "it's not my issue", which I find the attitude of the housekeeping to be poor, a paying guest doesn't expect that......ask yourself this, if you were I, would you want to be treated like that? I guess not.

Even the basics such as, replenishing the coffee and tea bags & putting fresh plastic/paper cups for hot drinks, this was NOT done throughout the whole stay, which would put this hotel below budget hotels.

The bed sheets weren't even changed for the whole stay (8 nights), I know this as I spilt some crips on the bed sheets which left an orange stain accidentally, I find this to be somewhat disgusting that a hotel doesn't even change bed sheets!
Also the wooden head boards where dusty, thank god I don't suffer from chest problems. The joke of house keeping, was that they'd knock on your room at 0900hrs to ask if you wanted service & all they did was make the bed and replace the towels, I mean waking people up everyday even when the "do not disturb" was being displayed on the door.
This does sound like I'm moaning about everything, but the housekeeping staff just weren't bothered about my concerns of how dirty the room was.

This hotel does really fall below the standard of what any paying guest would expect.
This hotel is in need of a renovation, new housekeeping team, it's a very tired place. I will never return to this hotel at all.
Please take my advice, don't walk around in bare feet, god knows what you'll pick up!
Only due to the fact I'd booked through the internet, I would of checked out.

The final nail in the coffin for me with regards to this hotel, was the stench of cannabis being smoked by people on balconies around us. The stench is eye watering at weekends, due to the number of people who cram into "party" on cannabis and alcohol.

On the day of checking out, the room opposite was open and two house keepers where inside. One was sat on the brown drawers with her feet inc dirty shoes on the chair & the other was sat on the bed talking about things that people would not want to hear. Upon seeing this, it just portrays an unprofessional image from the staff towards the guests and is rather unsatisfactory.

I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Welly78
Hobe Sound
Reviewed 16 August 2014

HOJO's is old, really needs a face lift, not really that clean but you get what you pay for and the rate was good for one night. Plenty of parking, looked like a nice pool, had a small fridge and microwave. It is in a great location right on the beach and there is a restaurant/bar/volleyball court right on the beach called the Toasted Monkey. It's open air and it is hopping at night (they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner). I didn't have any food, just a drink while I listened to good music and watched young and old dancing. I would go back to this place just to go to the Toasted Monkey! It served our purpose for one night, but it really is kind of run down. The people checking in and out were very helpful, courteous and friendly.

Room Tip: If you're older with bad knees etc. ask for a ground floor near the beach. They will accommodat...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeniseHS
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Greetings, DeniseHS. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm very pleased to read that you found my staff to be "helpful, courteous and friendly" as we take great pride in the level of customer service we provide our guests. In regards to the property being "run down", I'm pleased to inform you that we are in the process of updating some the property as well as some of the guest rooms.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review. I hope that the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach, you will stay again and see the new improvements!
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our softball team and families spent the weekend at HOJO St Pete Beach. The weather was great!
The staff was very friendly and the rates couldn't be beat. Special thanks to Crystal for setting up a successful weekend!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Greetings, Joseph K. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for your 5 star review. I'm pleased to read that your softball group enjoyed their stay while with us this past weekend! The weather was wonderful and from what I saw your poolside banquet was a complete success! In regards to my Guest Services PM Supervisor Crystal, thank you for your kind words. Crystal is truly an asset to my management team and I look forward to sharing your review with her.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. Crystal looks forward to getting next years event scheduled for your Royals softball group and the rest of the team will be ready to welcome you when you return.
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is right on the beach and we could see the ocean from our balcony. The room was very nice and it was more than big enough for the four of us. We had an excellent time until it came time to check out. We had called the front desk to ask about a late checkout and we were given a checkout of 12:00pm. We were happy with this and we planned our morning around this. As we began packing, the housekeeping staff knocked on our door at 11:00am asked if we'd be checking out today. We politely answered by saying that we had a late checkout of noon. She smiled and said ok before we closed the door. That should have been all we heard from them before we left but that wasn't the case. After that conversation, they called once and had knocked on the door 4 other times asking if we'd be leaving anytime soon! They asked us 6 times in less than an hour! When we finally left at 11:55, we owned the door and were met by 5 housekeepers who had been waiting outside the door for us despite the fact the front desk had given us a checkout of noon. Thankfully, we were not charged for an extra night.

We loved the hotel itself. The view of the ocean was definitely a plus. Other than the problems we had at checkout, we enjoyed our stay at the Howard Johnson.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alexander P
Dear Alexander P. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'd like to thank you for your kind words regarding the state of your room as well as the views from your private balcony. Being located right on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons that our hotel can't be beat. In regards to the obvious confusion concerning your late check out, I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies. I'm not certain where the communication was lost between my front desk and the housekeeping department, however what occurred is inexcusable. I will be speaking with both my Executive Housekeeper as well as my Guest Services Manager and sharing your review, so that we can use this review as a training tool to ensure our future guests do not experience the same issue.

Again, thank you for writing a review. The next time your travels bring your to our beach I truly hope you will give us another chance to host your family vacation.
Arlington TX
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

First let me say, I gave a 2 for rooms because we got a huge full two room suite, with full kitchen, next to the pool, but it was disgusting, 150 ft from a never ending party bar and zero view of the ocean. I gave a 3 for service because we had to wait three hours to check in even though other people came straight in and got theirs but also because we got room assistance right away after finding a problem with the room. I gave a 1 for cleanliness because the hotel is disgusting. The carpet in the hallways used to be turquoise but is now an ocean of tributaries leading to each door of disgusting brown filth. The carpet in the rooms are just as bad. The hotel tried to update some portions of the hotel but it's a horrendous mess of 1980 and 2010. Room 126 sits 150 ft from a bar, which blocks the view of this "oceanview" room and we can't see the ocean, where the music is so loud the windows shake as if you're in a car at an intersection and the car next to you is blaring its bass. The doors in the hallway are constantly slammed by other inconsiderate guests and shake the back wall and this room sits right next to the exterior door and elevator. The kids screaming at the pool and slamming the gates are constant. The hotel offers no chairs or cabanas at all but instead tell you to rent from Captain Mike's. They only let you bring one car per room. On the whole, I will never stay in this disgusting, deafening, poorly run hotel again. If all you're looking for is the cheapest space to set your stuff while you drunkenly party hard, choose this place. I've stayed in some bummers before but nothing like this, especially as part of the Wyndham group.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank futurelawyer2005
Dear futurelawyer2005. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank for taking the time to share your recent experience. I'd like to apologize for the many issues you seem to have experienced while with us. In regards to the wait you experienced at check in I would like to apologize. I know that it can be frustrating when you attempt to check in early and are told that your room is unavailable, while you see that other guests are able to check in. However, the room you booked is unique as it is the only one of it's type, therefor my front desk has no other option in regards to getting you right into a room as I know you saw we are able to do with our guests that reserve rooms that we have dozens of. I like to apologize for the obvious miscommunication about the description and view of your room type, as the room you reserved is not "Gulf view" it is "pool view." Generally the guests that reserve this room type do so because the patios open up directly to our pool deck, as well as the Toasted Monkey. All of our rooms that are sold with a "Gulf View" are located on our 2nd through 5th floors and have private balconies that have a direct view of the Gulf of Mexico. It gives me great pleasure to inform you of our upcoming renovations!!! We are currently finishing the planning faze and are truly looking forward to starting the room updates and hotel renovations this fall. Please know that I will be sharing your review with both my Executive Housekeeper as well as my Chief Engineer so that the problems you encountered can be rectified for our future guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor. I hope that the next time your travels bring you to our beaches you will give us another try.