“It is what it is....cheap.”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 18 January 2011

A double booking at our rental property left us looking for a one night stay somewhere until the condo unit was available. We thought a night on the beach would be neat. Well, you pay a premium for wanting to do so. This is at best a 1.5 star facility. Old, dated, noisy, marginally clean. Big party going on somewhere which was bad timing for us as we have two very young kids and we just wanted to sleep after being on the road all day. That is not the hotels fault. But the paper thin walls and the 2 inch gap under the door let in a lot of noise. The halls are tiled instead of carpeted so it echoes around badly. We stuffed a towel under the door to cut down on the noise. No, I don't complain about those things. I am not a party pooper. This is a party location hotel so better expect that kind of thing. Lots of stuff on the floor in the room that hadn't been vacuumed up. Leaky toilet, taps and stained tub are in store at this place. It's cheap. You get what you pay for. The rate was $110 as it was a weekend. Other higher end hotels will charge you double that for a beach location. Next time I will get off my wallet and pay for peace of mind.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Ianman67

Reviewed 9 January 2011

Good value if you want to stay on the beach. Don't worry about wiping your feet from the sand...its all over your room anyways! Wallpaper peeling off the walls...definately needs updating. BUT......for the price and the location, if you don't mind a little sand....Good Deal!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank lisel
Reviewed 5 January 2011

My husband and I were stuck down here for New Year's Eve due to blizzards up north where we live. I did some research and decided that St. Pete Beach would be the best choice for us - married, 50's, no kids, like to drink and dance and have fun. We also didn't want to pay a cover, didn't want to be around only college kids, and didn't want a fancy place where we'd have to dress up.

HoJo's is a centrally located hotel, near several other hotels with beachfront bars. We got a great rate here, I assume because the restaurant and bar was closed. We had a kitchen in our room, so breakfast was easy (and inexpensive). There were plenty of places within walking distance to get food, and lots of beach bars to stop into. Plus, the lack of beach bar made for a pleasantly quiet pool experience. It was a bit tough to find pool towels, but we eventually did. They were just regular skimpy towels, nothing special. The pool was fine, average for the area.

The room was average, but the full kitchen was a nice addition. There were plenty of cooking pots, plates, utensils, glasses, etc. The room was cleaned well, but guests are responsible for cleaning the kitchen, so they just left our dishes in the sink. They do have a sign telling you that, so it wasn't a surprise, just a minor annoyance. There is a convenience store just across the street.

We had a top floor corner room, which had a great wrap around balcony - nice views of the Gulf. Bathroom was clean, towels a bit skimpy but that's normal. The bed was fine, lots of pillows, average linens. The air conditioning worked fine but was a bit loud. I had no problem with outside noise and slept well.

Parking was free; you use your room key to get into the lot. Wireless was also free and worked perfectly, simple to use. The TV was nice, but we would have liked a schedule or something, and maybe a DVD player. Oh well, no biggie.

Check in and check out was smooth, without problems. I would come back again. We also enjoyed the Postcard Inn's barbecue restaurant and Jimmy B's Beach Bar next door (fantastic fried grouper, and Phoenix is a terrific band).

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nbriton
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel while visiting some friends who moved away from NY to some better weather out in St. Pete. I have to say I have no qualms with this hotel at all. It was clean, the staff was great, it was cheap, and the location is absolutely unbeatable. The water is only a few steps away and there are cool beach bars to hang out at nearby the hotel. My friends tell meRicky T's is a good time so this place will be even better when it opens back up. They also have a real nice pool area as well. All in all great stay. I plan on coming back next year to stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2010

loved this wonderful hotel on st. pete beach. it was so clean and well cared for. all of the staff was so caring and helpful in every way. loved the huge heated pool , perfect for lap swimming. will definitely stay here again and will tell family and friends who visit st. pete beach to stay here. staff made me feel like an important famiy member. great hotel and staff!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Despite booking the hotel directly months before we were not allocated rooms in the area that we had been promised.
The restaurant and bar were closed for refurbisment (until December 2010 they say!) and we were not told of this at the time of booking. The whole hotel needs refurbishment, it is shabby and looking tired. A pity, it used to be a great place to have a break and relax.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2010

After staying here several times over 10+ years.. I hate to say I have mixed feelings.

10 years ago.. Anything was nice. I was young. But after coming here for the last decade.. Where you know the staff.. The staff knows you.. One would think that loyalty alone would get you something. Think again!

I must say.. Reta and Sandy.. They have their moments. When all is well.. Both are great. But they can't handle a complaint or problem at all. The reviews about double charging credit cards happens all the time. The complaints about rudeness.. Happens often. We even had two consecutive years where we were quoted a rate over the phone only to be charged more upon arrival.

My family has gone back and forth about finding a new place simply because the problems keep adding up.. But the location is great and the pool is wonderful.

The only thing I can say is.. When u make a reservation.. Have them fax you a copy.. USE the card you hive them over the phone when you actually get there.. And if you have a problem.. Don't expect a resolution. It will ruin your day when your told to go pound sand.

Other than that.. Enjoy Florida! :)

1  Thank sathomps10