“Very Nice place but not great”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My stay here was OK, not great! BlueGreen Vacations had us look at the property in order to sell us a time share. The presentation lasted 4.5 hours though some of that was due to me asking a lot of questions. They want to have people buy into the program but it's a waste of money.

At TradeWinds in St Pete Beach, Most staff members are friendly but not all.
e.g. Stanley who runs the paddle boats had a reservation for me for one hour before closing. I came, no paddle boats were available. He said to come back in 45 minutes. I said, I was planning on going to dinner but I would wait the 45 min and eat later. He said he would send us out as the last trip. We came back at quarter to, as scheduled. He then let a person take a boat who was not even on the reservation list. He then said, I'm sorry I'm closing in 10 minutes and I can't let you go on the boats. I asked, why did you have us come back? You wasted our time then I went to speak to Doug in customer relations. I then realized, this was not the place for us. Thank you! I'll report this info back to Choice Hotels.

With that said, we still had a good time and I did enjoy our trip and yes I would come back to this resort.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for the confusion over the paddle boats. I have forwarded this to our Director of Activities for review with the staff. Due to the high demand of the boats over Easter, it was necessary to have guest register and remain waiting for their available turn on the boats. By being instructed to return later, I can only assume that it was anticipated that there would be no line or wait.
I want to thank you for your comments and hope that you will not let this one event prevent you from returning.
Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,536)

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Wow! My stay was FANTASTIC, but my trip almost ended with a disaster! My luggage wheel fell apart, and I would have greatly struggled carrying my LARGE wheeled bag through multiple airports. In addition, airline luggage handling probably would have destroyed my bag. Katchi Mara spent time with me and figured out a wonderfully creative solution, not using duct tape, as I had originally requested. (I agree with him that duct tape probably would not have worked.) The result was luggage that was virtually, amazingly repaired! I think Katchi Mara exemplifies the terrifically guest minded spirit of this delightful hotel. He spent time with me and my luggage to take care of this concern of mine, having nothing to do with the resort. This experience caps the very productive time I spent here for my business event, and left me with very fond memories of both that, and the personal (beach) time that I spent at TradeWinds. All resort employees demonstrated the same spirit. I cannot wait to return to TradeWinds. JE, Phoenix, AZ

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room on high floor facing the water. Wonderful views!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hello Jim E,
What a cool story! Thank you so much for sharing this. We're so glad that Katchi Mara was able to repair your suitcase for you. It's also wonderful to hear this was the icing on the cake from a very productive time spent at our property for your business event. Mixing business with pleasure is what we do best! Please come back to see us again and bring your friends/family with you next time.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My family and I have stayed at the Tradewinds for 3 years. It's great! You never have to leave the resort. There is plenty to do--big slide, swimming, mini-golf, paddle boats, cabanas, pirate show, on-site ice cream shop & lots more....a 20-min drive to Fort DeSota State Park is also well-worth it. We recommend eating at the Tradewinds' restaurants, especially the chicken fingers at the Flying Bridge. We love it here!!!!! And plan to return next year.

Room Tip: Ocean side balcony rooms are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1  Thank I3731DHjenl

Hello I3731DHjenl,
Thank you for sharing your review! We're thrilled you had an awesome time and enjoyed all the amenities we have to offer. It's great to hear you got to experience one of our local gems, Fort Desoto State Park. Although, as you said - once you're here, you really don't need to leave the property if you don't want to. See you next year!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

For the price, don't do it. There is no way to get correct logistical information and it will cost you a bundle. Find another hotel or rent a on the beach.

1). We found it very hard
To get correct information: For example, we called to see if they had a shuttle from the Tampa airport to the resort. Whoever we talked to said they did, no need for a reservation. least say you're sorry. We were assured on the way back there's a shuttle, just make a reservation the day before. They don't mention that's another $100--it's just their taxi service.

There's a Hertz on site: We were never told that we could return our rental car keys to the concierge. That added $150 and the person just laughed it off.

The kids activities are super expensive and lame--I mean, lame: don't bother.

Food is lame a super expensive. Oh, and it was packed, I mean PACKED. Too much so: your kids with disappear in the swirl of bodies in the pools anyway.

Beach is beautiful. Again, get a condo, grab a car, and don't bother with this disorganized very expensive resort.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Attic413

Please accept my apology for any miscommunication that you experienced. There are several different travel arrangements that can be made both leaving and returning to the airport. Reservations can be made through our Resort Transportation, which is $65 for two guest one way. This is a non-stop private car service based on availability. There are also other local services available without a reservation, including a taxi or shuttle, but do make unscheduled stops as necessary. I have forwarded your concerns to our reservations, front desk and the Hertz managers for review with their staff to ensure proper communications.
Again, please accept my apology for not meeting your expectations while here and I hope this will not prevent you from returning.
Thank you.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Beautiful buildings, rooms & property. Loved the free mini golf, paddleboats (in a long winding canal), tennis and other amenities. Beautiful beach. Three pools to choose from including kids, mixed and adult pools. Lots to do and shops/restaurants within walking distance besides the many places to eat at Tradewinds. My kids especially loved all the interesting things TW offered vs. a plain hotel.

1  Thank Melissa B
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Hello Melissa B,
No one will EVER get bored at TradeWinds, and your testimonial definitely speaks to that! We love that your kids enjoyed all our amenities and that you found our location to be ideal. We hope you'll come back for more fun in the sun again soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My family and I wanted a nice weekend at the beach so I (being the family planner) booked a weekend at the Tradewinds Island Grand. Our room was larger than I had expected, so I was pleasantly surprised. The outside grounds are well kept. We had dinner at Bermuda's which is one of the resorts restaurants. The food was a bit pricey and just average, so the next night we opted for Crabby Bills which was great. I was unaware that this resort was affiliated with a timeshare and got suckered into a preview. I'm actually glad we did because its a great deal and we've already visited some of the other timeshare resorts.....just be sure they stick to the one hour deal. We were stuck for approx three hours. But like I said, we are already enjoying ownership benefits.
The Beach is wonderful and clean. There are plenty of cabanas which I appreciate because I don't like to lay on sand. LOL

Room Tip: Get an Ocean view. Its worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Laurie813

Hello Laurie813,
How great that you were able to bring the family for a visit with us on our beautiful piece of St. Pete Beach! We're so glad you enjoyed your time and that you have found value in our partners, Blue Green Vacations. Please come back to visit soon - we'll be sure to have one of those cabanas ready and waiting for you!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was our second stay at the Tradewinds. Our first visit was for the New Year's Eve party and except for the weather at that time it was fantastic! We came back for 3 nights (mid April) and the weather was amazing, Although we only live 40 minutes away this was a nice stay-cation. The resort offers very nice rooms, and many activities on the beach (for a price). However, there are a few drawbacks; Way too many kids, and yes this is a family vacation resort, but if you're bringing kids, PLEASE teach them some manners and how to respect other people's space!!!
Secondly, this resort offers ZERO night life for adults...everything starts to lock up at 8:00pm with the exception of one very very small bar that only has room for one folk singer...yawn!!
For a resort this size (and for the money) they could offer a lot more activities for adults (i.e. beach games, entertainment etc...)
The drinks are WAAAYYY overpriced - $40.00 for 2 top shelf margaritas!! $50.00 for breakfast buffet for two!!! And the much overrated Palm Court restaurant...OMG terrible food at gourmet 5 star prices!

While we liked the overall resort (beach time) we can get just as much for a lot less at neighboring resorts. This resort clock is on family time and retired time so unless you have kids, or ar ready for bed at 8;00pm, look elsewhere for fun.

Notable mention - Jill in the tradewinds gift shop was outstanding!! She was extremely helpful, attentive and friendly - GREAT JOB JILL!!!

Bottom line - GREAT for families and retirees, but not so good for couples.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for! Lots of rooms but not that many with beach views unless you are willing to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. Yes, this is a family resort especially during the Spring Break and Easter holidays. I forwarded this to our F&B department for further review and it was determined that indeed, a Summer Sized ( 2 1/2 drinks ) of Patron 1800 or Cuervo for two would be $40 since it is basically 5 drinks. Regarding the charge for breakfast in Bermuda's, it would be $34 for two not including a gratuity.
Thank you for the notable mention of Jill and I hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again over the summer months.