“"RudeWinds"”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My family and I spent four nights at the Island Grand over spring break. We were in a gulf front balcony suite which had a nice view but not very luxurious for the money spent. The grounds and lobby are nice, but the main pool area was extremely crowded and the two minuscule hot tubs were constantly packed with young children. Frankly, at a resort of this size, I'd expect a larger, more updated resort pool and maybe an adult hot tub. The beach is lovely and the option to rent a "free" cabana was handy, although you pay for it in the resort fee. Here comes the rude part. I had read reviews about the vacation club sales pitch, but I had no idea it would be like this. Many Orlando resorts have a time share rep, but I've never been pestered the way I was at TradeWinds. I received a call on my cell phone while visiting my mother two days prior to our arrival. The caller claimed to be with TradeWinds, calling to see if I had any "questions" about the resort. Turns out he was not actually interested in being helpful, but wanted to offer me a $100 resort voucher if I would attend a vacation club seminar. First of all, that amount would barely cover lunch for my family of five at a TradeWinds restaurant. Secondly, I made it very clear to the caller that I resented being called on my cell phone which I had given to the hotel solely for my reservation- not to be harassed by salespeople while on vacation. I furthermore told him that I had no interest in the timeshare and did not wish to be contacted again. He told me that he would put a "note" in my file. I asked him to please also let management know that I resented the intrusion, and he said he would. We were approached again in the lobby while waiting for our room, and I received another call in the room. Clearly no message was relayed. The final straw is that we returned from TradeWinds over a month ago and I just received another phone call from the vacation salesperson, offering a discounted stay for listening to their pitch. I told the rep that I had specifically requested not to be contacted anymore and asked to speak with a TradeWinds manager. She instead put her vacation club manager on the phone who proceeded to tell me that unless I used the specific words "do not call list", that I should not expect to be removed from the list. Needless to say, I did not take this well seeing as we just spent over $3000.00 at the TradeWinds resort, only for them to give my name over to a telemarketer. I finally reached a "manager", Doug at the TradeWinds who apologized lamely and said he would change my status to "special guest" which would exclude me from the call list. As I said to Doug, it's a shame that all your guests aren't "special" and that TradeWinds is willing to risk offending their guests by resorting to lowly sales tactics.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Pat E
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for the repeated calls even after you had asked not to be contacted. I have already forwarded this to both responsible managers at TradeWinds and BlueGreen. We have weekly operations meetings to discuss guest issues such as this. The proper protocol should be followed at all times, simply not just left incomplete as a convenience for the call center and addition staff who are calling. Your status has been changed so as to prevent any further disturbance. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thank you.

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Here are the facts!! They claim to serve gluten free food! They claim to be autism friendly resort! My girl has a severe gluten allergy ant the food and got sick! When we asked for clean towels they brought them and threw them on our bed!! Rude staff we complained and were promised a call or email but it never came!! Best bet stay at the Sirata beach resort next door!! We did last yr and will again!! Do not waste your money at tradewinds

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Johnny8365
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for your experience while dining with us. We take all guest concerns regarding allergies extremely serious. I have personally spoken to our Director of Food & Beverage and our Executive Chef about this and requested that they contact you. Upon doing such, it was determined that we do not have a phone number on file and therefore, an email was sent. It very possibly could have been restricted based on your computer settings.
Regarding the request for towels late Saturday evening, a full daily service provided by housekeeping would have replenished all items, however your reservation was through a marketing promo for a timeshare which does not include this service. I have forwarded this concern to our Executive Housekeeper so that future request such as this, will result in at least removal of used towels, replacement of new towels and removal of trash.
Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We had a blast at the Trade Winds resort. The grounds were very clean and well taken care of. This is a wonderful resort for all ages. They have kids activities and a kids pool. As well as beach side service and cabanas for adults.I never felt that the beach or pools were over crowded. One complaint that I did have was when eating at Beef O Bradys our food came out an hour late and we were never comped anything. We did have an unfortunate situation where my bag was stolen off the beach (no fault but my own). Will, the Trade Winds security guard handled it so well. He assisted us in contacting the police to file a report and helped us collect numbers on closing our credit cards. I was so impressed with all of the staff at Tradewinds but especially WILL. We had an absolute blast and look forward to going again sometime!

Room Tip: Skip the Ocean Side and get the tropical view with a balcony you are still able to see and hear the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hello kp3004,
We're so glad to hear you plan to come see us again. Thank you for sharing your positive recommendations on our property, cleanliness, amenities, and customer service. Although we're very sorry to hear about your situation that occurred on the beach, it's great to know that our security staff handled it as thoroughly and professionally as possible. We wish you the best and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Do NOT eat at the Bermuda steak and seafood restaurant! Horrible atmosphere, bad food and OK service. Oh, and way overpriced. $40 Filet mignon cooked wrong TWICE and yes they did take it off the check but even the second time it wasn't edible. I'm pretty sure they sent out a different cut of meat because when they brought out the second steak it was extremely tough and very chewy. I've never had a Filet mignon that wasn't tender. Oh well, everything else had been pretty good, we just wish we had checked the restaurant reviews before going out to dinner. We probably should have left when there were only 3 tables in there at dinner time.

• Stayed: April 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for your experience while dining in our Bermuda's restaurant. I have personally spoken to both our Executive Chef and the Bermuda's Chef in attempt to better understand what may have happened. Based on your preferred temperature, cuts of the same loin may have varying differences. I am at least thankful that the charge was removed, as we empower all of our employees to provide instant gratification when we fail to meet our guest expectations.
Thank you.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is very comfortable, the rooms are big, we got one with a bed sofa and stayed in three. The staff were gentle and kind, specially Aaron and Somer from the front desk who held us with the check-out. The beach is clean and the water is very clear. The negative points were that we were in sting ray time, and for brazilians it is not usually to be in the water with it and the pools are a little small.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had an amazing stay at Trade Winds. The amazing location and overall value of our stay made it so easy to "just let go". We would love to make this trip again. I would especially like to mention the fabulous service of Eddie, Rick, Dan and Cinnamon in the Bermudas restaurant. Thank you so much.

Hello EliseB123,
Knowing that you had an amazing time, makes us so happy! We're glad that you were able to 'just let go' while you were here and that our staff made your visit even better. Thank you for sharing your experience. Can't wait until you come back to do it all over again :)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

TradeWinds was awesome. Sauna - check, multiple pools - check, lounge chairs on the beach - check. Swans, koi pond, mini golf, the list goes on and on. My room was lovely and the staff was so nice. Definitely one of the nicer options if you're planning a beach holiday in St Pete.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the courtyard which was just ok but it doesn't really matter when there...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Hello Dave L,
We love that we were able to check off all the major desires on your list and then some. Thank you for sharing your outlook on our property, accommodations, service and location. We'd love to see you again the next time you're headed to St. Pete Beach.