“Tradewinds Resorts in St Pete's Beach”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Garden City, New York
“Tradewinds Resorts in St Pete's Beach”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Beautiful place! Our two- bedroom suite was roomy and clean, the service was EXCELLENT- people could not have been nicer! The weather wasn't great the whole time so we spent more time at the resort than we had planned- the restaurants were good, and the bars were fun. Everyone that worked there was so helpful and friendly! Right down to giving us umbrellas! Nice touch.

Room Tip: There were four of us traveling together for a conference. We had a two bedroom suite and it was so...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello Doris R,
Although we're sorry to hear the weather was less than perfect, we're so happy to hear that you still had an EXCELLENT time at TradeWinds. A high level of service is what we pride ourselves on and we're thrilled that you saw that passion while you were here. Great to know you enjoyed all our restaurants and bars on property, too. Thank you for sharing your experience. We hope you'll come back to see us!
Leni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
Largo, Florida
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a beautiful room, with great accomodations. Aaron in housekeeping was extremely attentive to our needs and was such a pleasant staff member to have. He went above and beyond our expectations as we had 3 very small children. Thank you for a great weekend!!!!

Room Tip: We had the 2 bedroom suit with two bathrooms and a balcony. Was a great size for our mixed families...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Erika O
Hello Erika O,
We're so glad you had a fantastic experience at TradeWinds. Thank you for recognizing Aaron from our housekeeping department. It makes us very proud to have him on our team. We hope you'll come back for another weekend getaway soon!
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Went to TradeWinds on a business trip. The staff was great upon arrival and, they make it a point to remember you name upon arrival. Let me start off by saying the resort is pricey. But, all resort frequenters should know that in advance. There are several little shops including a general store and coffee shop. The resort campus has several pools and restaurants. I enjoyed the Adult Only pool overlooking the beach. There are family friendly pools that show movies and have activities for the children. People seemed to enjoy the open air beach side restaurant. I personally only had to have one experience there as I was surrounding by pigeons during my entire meal. The biggest negative thing for me was the size of the room. The room was so tiny. I have never stayed in a room that small from any hotel chain. I am assuming the price of the rooms was pricey due to all the extra amenities outside the room. By best advice to travelers, plan activities outside your room and do not expect any freebies (breakfast, coffee, toothbrush, etc.)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank NellieBoo
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello NellieBoo,
Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your experience. We're glad you were able to mix a little business with pleasure during your visit with us. It's also wonderful to know you were able to relax at our Adult-Only pool. We hope to see you again in the future!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was a beautiful hotel. I recommend staying in a Gulf Front Parlor I believe it is called. You have a beautiful view of the gulf. We overlooked the stream where paddle boats go through so it was fun to watch. There looked to be rooms overlooking the main pool, which looked to be convenient, but expect noise as many people are at the pools and the music is playing. There was also a movie one night at the pool which the kids loved.

It was cold and very windy during our stay... no fault of the resort! :-) This did make it so the inflatable slides and water park were not open. It opened the last day we were there but we were leaving. Plenty of other stuff to do and... YOU ARE ON THE BEACH, so walking the beach is always fun.

Even though it was cold, windy, rainiy... the resort still had activities and the kids loved it. The cabana rental on the beach was easy if you missed booking, was easy to get one from the crew out there working them.

Only a couple of issues I had would were the hot tubs are LOADED with kids and people. Being cold it didn't help but they were very small to start. You wouldn't think you would need them in Florida, but we did! The water for showering was also COLD, but if you timed it right (middle of the day shower) it was ok.

Room Tip: Gulf Front view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rreuss
Hello rreuss,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and your fellow travelers. We appreciate your kind words, your understanding that we cannot control the weather, and your feedback. It's great to know that despite the not-so-perfect weather that your family was able to still enjoy themselves and find entertainment throughout the property. We hope you'll come back to see us again and we'll keep our fingers crossed for complete sunshine during your entire visit!
washington, nj
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Rooms were clean. Pretty roomy to fit 5 of us. 2 beds in one bedroom, pull out sofa bed, basic kitchen with fridge. Inflatable slide on beach was free if your staying there and kept kids and parents busy enjoying. Surprised for the size of the place, the main pool is fairly small. The other pool by Pirates Cove was bigger but not nearly as warm heated as the main pool. Staff at activity center was friendly and patient. Bungee trampoline was kids favorite. $4 extra charge. Also you can walk to Guy Harvey sister hotel and let the kids ride the Shark Rodeo for cost of 1 token. Hotel is centrally located right in middle of St Pete Beach. At night we could walk to Bongo's Beach Bar, Jimmy B's Beach Bar, and Skidders. Bongo's and Jimmy Bs are kid friendly. Only disappointment was we got to Island Grand early, at 11:30am and didn't get in our room till after 4pm. Which made us feel like we wasted a whole beach day. Best part for kids is the Water Park on the Ocean itself. $16 bucks for an hour. Kids loved it. You get 1 free cabana with your resort fee. Their reservation system was very easy to reserve & choose which cabana you wanted for the following day. By no means is Trade Winds Island Grand cheap, but the cost is worth what you get. We are already talking about going back during a summer when its warmer. Great time had by all.

Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My family and I spent four nights at the Island Grand over spring break. We were in a gulf front balcony suite which had a nice view but not very luxurious for the money spent. The grounds and lobby are nice, but the main pool area was extremely crowded and the two minuscule hot tubs were constantly packed with young children. Frankly, at a resort of this size, I'd expect a larger, more updated resort pool and maybe an adult hot tub. The beach is lovely and the option to rent a "free" cabana was handy, although you pay for it in the resort fee. Here comes the rude part. I had read reviews about the vacation club sales pitch, but I had no idea it would be like this. Many Orlando resorts have a time share rep, but I've never been pestered the way I was at TradeWinds. I received a call on my cell phone while visiting my mother two days prior to our arrival. The caller claimed to be with TradeWinds, calling to see if I had any "questions" about the resort. Turns out he was not actually interested in being helpful, but wanted to offer me a $100 resort voucher if I would attend a vacation club seminar. First of all, that amount would barely cover lunch for my family of five at a TradeWinds restaurant. Secondly, I made it very clear to the caller that I resented being called on my cell phone which I had given to the hotel solely for my reservation- not to be harassed by salespeople while on vacation. I furthermore told him that I had no interest in the timeshare and did not wish to be contacted again. He told me that he would put a "note" in my file. I asked him to please also let management know that I resented the intrusion, and he said he would. We were approached again in the lobby while waiting for our room, and I received another call in the room. Clearly no message was relayed. The final straw is that we returned from TradeWinds over a month ago and I just received another phone call from the vacation salesperson, offering a discounted stay for listening to their pitch. I told the rep that I had specifically requested not to be contacted anymore and asked to speak with a TradeWinds manager. She instead put her vacation club manager on the phone who proceeded to tell me that unless I used the specific words "do not call list", that I should not expect to be removed from the list. Needless to say, I did not take this well seeing as we just spent over $3000.00 at the TradeWinds resort, only for them to give my name over to a telemarketer. I finally reached a "manager", Doug at the TradeWinds who apologized lamely and said he would change my status to "special guest" which would exclude me from the call list. As I said to Doug, it's a shame that all your guests aren't "special" and that TradeWinds is willing to risk offending their guests by resorting to lowly sales tactics.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Pat E
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for the repeated calls even after you had asked not to be contacted. I have already forwarded this to both responsible managers at TradeWinds and BlueGreen. We have weekly operations meetings to discuss guest issues such as this. The proper protocol should be followed at all times, simply not just left incomplete as a convenience for the call center and addition staff who are calling. Your status has been changed so as to prevent any further disturbance. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thank you.
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Here are the facts!! They claim to serve gluten free food! They claim to be autism friendly resort! My girl has a severe gluten allergy ant the food and got sick! When we asked for clean towels they brought them and threw them on our bed!! Rude staff we complained and were promised a call or email but it never came!! Best bet stay at the Sirata beach resort next door!! We did last yr and will again!! Do not waste your money at tradewinds

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Johnny8365
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for your experience while dining with us. We take all guest concerns regarding allergies extremely serious. I have personally spoken to our Director of Food & Beverage and our Executive Chef about this and requested that they contact you. Upon doing such, it was determined that we do not have a phone number on file and therefore, an email was sent. It very possibly could have been restricted based on your computer settings.
Regarding the request for towels late Saturday evening, a full daily service provided by housekeeping would have replenished all items, however your reservation was through a marketing promo for a timeshare which does not include this service. I have forwarded this concern to our Executive Housekeeper so that future request such as this, will result in at least removal of used towels, replacement of new towels and removal of trash.
Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#25 of 96 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!