“Family Vacation”

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Louisville, Kentucky
“Family Vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We recently went on our Family Vacation to Tradewinds Island Grand Beach Resort, that was Booked for us using Beach Bum Vacations. Our freindly and helpful travel agent Lisa Zwissler with Beach Bum Vacation recommend this location to try. We wanted a family friendly place with a nice beach and shopping available. The Beach was great and clean, and my kids had a blast playing in the sand. The Hotel room was pretty basic, but did fit our needs. It was a nice area with good resturants close by, it also had a few areas to shop within a short drive. The resturants on property were very over priced and had just okay food. The local resturants were much better and more cost friendly. It was not my Favorite of our Family trips but it is not a bad place for a family to visit for laid back fun. DWY

20 Thank Dallas Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,362)
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have been going to this property for many many years. Rates are definitely on the increase which is ok for the occassional visitor but it would be nice for long time guests to
have an excellent rate especially Canadian guests (with the exchange rate being so poor). Long time guests promote the property to friends and relatives which in turn brings in more
business. We liked the new changes they have made outdoors. Firepits and lounge furniture is really comfy. Need umbrellas around the new sand area for the kids and a splash pad would be a nice added feature. Towel huts should be redesigned and moved as they are too high and they block the view of the pool. New restaurant was not open for service yet when we were there but we did get a tour and it is really lovely and we are sure if they keep it casual with average prices people will come. Gulf front rooms are great - they overlook the Gulf and the pool. Disappointed you can not get breakfast (eggs, bacon) at Patio anymore as we have always eaten most of our breakfasts there during our stay perhaps they will rethink this. All equipment in our room worked well and we have found if you call maintenance they come and look after everything very quickly. Carmen at the front desk is amazing and always is happy to look after anything needed. We absolutely love it here - wish we could stay all winter as it really feels like home away from home!

Room Tip: Gulf front suites are fantastic and also have the best view especially the ones on the upper floors...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello dchisholm2004,
Thank you very much for sharing your review on the Guy Harvey Outpost property. We're so sorry that you didnt' get to try our new restaurant, RumFish Grill while you were here. Hopefully, you'll get to try it the next time you visit! We appreciate your feedback on our new SandBox beach lounge area. We'll be sure to pass along your kind words about Carmen. We love that you love it here - see you again soon!
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have stayed at TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort several times in the last few years, and, despite the cost, I'm always keen to go back.

Check in is always quick but comprehensive, staff always seem friendly and eager to help. The deli/gift shop in the lobby is great (I can recommend the cookies!) and open until late if you get in from a long day and just fancy some sandwiches or a light snack. I haven't personally used the Starbucks (also in the lobby) but my Dad has, and he said it was great (likewise with the miniature golf).

The breakfast buffet is delicious (includes an omelette hand made by a chef right in front of you if you want one), though a little on the pricey side if you don't have a huge appetite! The onsite Pizza Hut and ice cream shop is a godsend when you're just craving something simple and inexpensive. B.R.Cuda's Sports Bar and Grill has a great atmosphere, good food (the fries are delicious) and the service, as with everything here, is polite and friendly. Can't comment on The Palm Court as I haven't been, but the menu looks great - again, fairly pricey, however. I haven't been to Bermuda's for dinner in a few years, but I remember enjoying the food. It's worth noting that the atmosphere for dinner at Bermuda's is fairly formal - it has a children's menu but it's much more geared to adults and couples. The Flying Bridge restaurant is a family favourite, with a laid back atmosphere and great value for money.

The pools are always clean, though when the hotel is full they do tend to get busy quickly. The adults only pool is almost always quiet and relaxing, even when there's a lot of people around. The beach, which borders the property, is family friendly and a great place to unwind of an evening. There are water sports available but it's fairly pricey.

Over the past few years I have made several trips here with my family, and we have stayed in a studio room for one night (clean, tidy and functional), a one bedroom suite (great size, also clean and tidy, well maintained), and most recently a two bedroom suite which we found to be our favourite (plenty of space, bedroom, bathroom and living area are all clean and comfortable).

The resort is in a good location, though I would definitely recommend having a hire car, as many of the main attractions (the pier, john's pass, florida mall, clearwater beach etc) aren't too far, but they are a little far to walk.

Definitely hope to return here soon!

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend paying the extra for a view and a balcony - well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
New Albany, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We asked for ocean front room when we booked this resort. We had a room overlooking the paddle boats not ocean. The air conditioner wasn't working properly in our bedroom. The beds all need to have the mattresses replaced. They were broken down with big sink holes. The stove was electric with 2 burners and the biggest burner didn't even work! There was no oven. We had four adults in our room with a two cup coffee pot. For what we paid for this suite you cannot tell me that they can't afford a Mister Coffee! That was a total disaster! The silverware wasn't for seven people we had to wash and wait to have enough for all seven of us to eat. There was two elevator's on our floor. We had to wait forever on the elevator so be ready to take the stairs! The laundry rom was two washers and two dryers. I did complain and receive one night credit back on my credit card. They gave me the first night back which was the cheapest night. Our family WON'T be back at this resort ever! Good luck to those who do decide to stay here. It is NOT worth the money!!! Go elsewhere and stay!!!!

3 Thank Brenda L
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for the condition in which you found your room upon arrival. Regarding the mattresses, we have scheduled a complete replacement of them later this year when occupancy allows us the availability. Your other concerns have been forwarded to housekeeping and engineering to ensure our improvement in guest service. Something that you may not have been aware of since you were in a tropical view suite, is that there are other elevators and laundry services in the Gulf front section. Our employees are empowered and encouraged to resolve any guest issue instantly which I'm glad to see in this occasion the front desk provided that at departure upon notice.
Thank you.
Lexington Va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I own a restaurant and a bed and breakfast. It was clean and well worth the stay. lots of activities on grounds and beach. I loved the fact that everything I needed was right there and no need to go anywhere else. I had a great time. Well done!

1 Thank salernova
Hello salernova,
That means a lot coming from someone who owns a business in the travel/lodging industry! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with our grounds, accommodations, amenities and location. We hope you'll come back to see us again!
Wesley Chapel, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Hello, my name is Marc Pulizzano and this my Tradewinds story. Let me start by saying I have stayed at this resort 20 times in the last few years and have always received the most incredible service here but this last time was more special than the rest. It is my girlfriend’s 27th birthday and I decide to host her surprise party at my favorite resort, the Tradewinds Island Grand Resort. A month before the party I booked a gulf front suite with a balcony so that she could wake up every morning to the view of the Gulf of Mexico which, having seen it myself many times, is absolutely breathtaking.
Check in day (the day before the party): I contacted the resort and spoke to Aaron at the front desk, explained that I had family coming there to decorate the suite for our arrival that evening, so he could release my room key to them, and for the party the next day as well as deliver the food and refreshments. Upon arriving, my family members were informed that, due to an overbooking issue for the particular suite that I had reserved and my loyal patronage of this resort, we had been provided an upgrade to the Penthouse as a way to say thank you and sorry for the inconvenience…. The Freaking Penthouse! As if that wasn’t enough, Dave (the bellhop extraordinaire) spent over 2 hours of his day assisting my family in transporting all of the goods to the room, so they could focus on the decorations, making several trips from the car to the room on the 7th floor and back.
That same evening: I arrived to the lobby with my girlfriend several hours later and Dave was expecting me, immediately jumping to the task grabbing our bags and keeping my girlfriend company by the bags as I spoke with Aaron about the keys and day passes, parking situation, the guests that night, and a few other things for the room. Having purchased enough day passes for everyone when I booked the reservation, Aaron made it very easy for me by working with the concierge, making sure that all the day passes, which included parking, were at the guard gate under my last name so that all my guests had to do was ask and they were given the royal treatment.
For the next 2 days my girlfriend and I, as well as the 15 other people in our party, were treated as if we were royalty by this staff, from Ray and Tiffany in the coffee shop who made our morning with the happy way they approached each and every customer as well as joking around with us to start our morning with a smile, to the gentleman in the valet, the Flying Bridge restaurant staff, and especially Aaron at the front desk and Dave. They made us feel as if we were the most important people in this resort and helped me make my girlfriends birthday very special.
I can tell you that if you ever want to stay at a resort that treats you like people and really takes care of their guests, really cares about their guests, this is the place. If the management of the Tradewinds Island Grand Resort read this… Aaron and Dave, as well as Ray in the coffee shop… They know how to treat your loyal customers and they are a credit to your resort and a shining example of what a resort should be. Please pass this along to them and reward them in some way as they have secured a customer for life for your establishment.

Marc Pulizzano

P.S. Thank you Aaron

Room Tip: Gulf Front view is amazing and worth every penny
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Marc P
Hello Marc,
WOW!!! What an amazing story this is... just fantastic! We're thrilled that your birthday surprise went off without a hitch and that your felt so very special during your entire visit. This story makes us so proud of our staff and their hard work to go above and beyond. We will be sure to pass this along to those team members that you mentioned and their management teams. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with us and your fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. See again soon!
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Tradewinds Island Grand Resort from May 12th thru May 15th. We very much enjoyed our stay and look forward to our next visit! The staff is extremely friendly, rooms are clean and the property is on prime real estate. Lots of stuff to do on the resort; both activities and dining/drinking. They also offer a cool Tradewinds Bar Crawl challenge.

Room Tip: Book a Gulf Front Parlor with Balcony room if you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris M
Hello Chris M,
Did you get the TradeWinds Bar Crawl T-shirt!? The Bar Crawl is definitely one of our most popular adult-centric activities we offer on property. We're thrilled that you guys had a great experience with our accommodations, outlets, location and staff. Thank you for sharing your review. Please come back to spend time with us for another beach getaway when you can.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#23 of 95 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!