“Back again.....”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 2 July 2014

And we will be back again. Just finished another family holiday and had an awesome time at IG. this is a resort for families. Mid you are looking for quiet, non-active places- this isn't it.

We did splash island this time- great time,

Very few complaints, mad none worth typing out. See you soon, IG!

Room Tip: Ocean front is worth the upgrade. We do ocean front suites.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,568)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Had a great time with my family. I enjoyed our dinner at Palm Court Italian dinner. Best Italian food I've ever had with the greatest waiter ever. Francis made our experience 10 times more enjoyable! I look forward to coming back soon and hopefully Francis will be our waiter again.

• Stayed: July 2014
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hello TheFamilyLopez,
This just goes to show you that great food and great service go hand in hand! We love that you had such a memorable meal at Palm Court Italian Grill. Thank you for recognzing Francis. I'm sure he will be very happy to hear he made your evening so special. We'll make sure to keep him on standby until you get back to TradeWinds ;) Hope to see you soon!
Kind Regards,
Leni

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was our second trip down to the Tradewinds in the last four weeks. We had such a great time during Memorial Day with a group of families.... so the Moms' decided to take the kids back down for a couple of nights. From valet to check-in all the way to check-out, we couldn't have asked for more kind, considerate, accommodating people. We were having so much fun we decided to stay another day. Although our room was already booked, they found us another room two floors up and had everything moved for us, no problem! Looking forward to going back soon.

Make sure you take the walk down to the Guy Harvey resort associated with Tradewinds to see the new fish tanks and dine at Rumfish.

Room Tip: Prefer staying in the location where Bermuda's restaurant is located instead of the main buildin...
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and 3 year old daughter stayed at TradeWinds Island Grand 1 week in June 2014. Overall we had a fantastic time and this place is a beautiful resort and extremely family friendly.

The best part of this resort is the beach, so i will start there. St. Pete beach is spectacular. Powder white sand, 89 degree gulf water (yes 89 degrees!), great cabanas, and extremely clean. Over the last 5-6 years all of the hotels have done a wonderful job improving this beach to its current condition. Not a scrap of litter. The cabanas are free with your stay unless you want front row. Then its $15 / day. Totally worth it, so you have a great view AND you can monitor your items while swimming the gulf. Reserving the cabana online every night before bed via iphone was fun for my wife and I. We also LOVED the ability to order drinks and food from our Iphones while at the cabana via their website, and have it delivered to us within 30 min. So convenient! I have read a lot of complaints about the price of food and drinks here. Listen, you are on a beach front property at one of the most beautiful beaches in the USA, yes you should expect to pay a premium for food and drinks. If you want to save more money then there is an IHOP down the road and plenty of other options.

The hotel... Pulling into the hotel with our rental, we were greeted by very friendly managers, valet, and bellmen. All had smiles and welcomed us. The property is wonderful and extremely clean. Very tropical feel. The lobby is surprisingly big with a great bar. I would agree with most reviews that the pools here are a bit small. But there are 3 of them. Most people seem to forget about the 2nd family pool, as we had it mainly to ourselves while the other pool was packed. The adult pool is a nice break from the kids running around. The grounds were very well maintained. The large beach slide is very fun. Salty's Beach Bar is a perfect florida beach bar complete with thatch roof and great mixed drinks. We did get asked about the time share a few times, but a polite "no thanks" kept everyone at bay.

The room... We stayed in a gulf front parlor room with balcony and loved it. Plenty of room, kitchenette, mini bar, table chairs, big private balcony. Having a 3 year old with us meant alot more time in the room for naps and bed time. We didnt mind at all, as we were able to enjoy the balcony at night.

Food... For breakfast you cant beat the Bermuda's breakfast buffet. For lunch we had grouper sandwiches brought to the cabana on the beach. I recommend venturing our for dinner as St. Pete / Treasure Island offers a TON of great restaurants. High recommended "salt rock grill", "Crabby Bills", "PJ oyster bar" & "RumFish Grill".

Housekeeping- this was the one problem area of our stay. In our 5 night visit, housekeeping forgot to clean our room 2 days. I had to call at night and request someone clean (which they did). However, on our 3rd day we traveled to Busch Gardens for 8 hours. We returned to our room to find the door wide open, towels and linens all over the floor, and our AC was turned off resulting in a 90 degree room. I called a manger and security. We later discovered housekeeping "mistakenly" stopped cleaning our room half way through and forgot to close our door. This makes no sense to me and is suspicious. However, the hotel did make it right to my family and I in the long run.

That isolated incident aside, this is the best place to stay on St. Pete Beach and we will return.

2  Thank krippelz3
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My main purpose for going to Tradewinds was to attend a company meeting. Being a meeting planner, Tradewinds checked off every box on my list. Their banquet staff was friendly and hard working. The convention services manager, Rob Hypio was on top of the meeting from start to finish. Margarita Yepes, Director of Banquets was amazing - within 5 minutes of asking for something, it would be done. Food was excellent (highly recommend Palm Court for dinner). The meeting / banquet services at Tradewinds is by far one of the best I have dealt with in my 15 years of meeting planning.

Now - on to the family vacation part. Our check in was smooth, room was spacious (1 bdrm Tropical Suite), view nice. Plenty to do to keep the kids occupied between the Kids Club, beach and giant slide (fun for both adults & kids!). Deuren Wilson of Capt. Red Beard's Pirate Show is EXCELLENT!!! He made the show so much fun! Its a definite don't miss!

Room Tip: Any room is good at this hotel - we were on the 5th floor overlooking the courtyard on one side with...
Reviewed 2 July 2014

So we went to Florida for a family vacation and my wife was running in the Florida halfathon so we wanted to stay somewhere close to Ft. De Soto park. I researched the hotels extensively, as I always do, and had it down to the Tradewinds and the Alden. I didn't realize the Alden was right next door and the fact the Tradewinds had the large waterside for the kids was the deciding factor to pay significantly more (I didn't realize the kids could walk right over from the Alden and pay a small fee to go on the waterside).

Our vacation was planned well in advance and I booked the room directly through Tradewinds so that we wouldn't have any issues. I booked a 2 bedroom Tropical view suite since we have four kids and desperately need the room. The room was booked 3 months before our stay.

Our plane ended up arriving very late and we didn't arrive at the TradeWinds until 2:30am. When the attendant pulled our reservation I could see that the original room number was crossed out and a new one was written by it. I asked what room type it was and he said that it was a one bedroom. I told him I booked this long ago and booked a two bedroom. He said that there were no other rooms available on the property since it was spring break. I was not pleased since it seemed the room I booked months prior was given away. He said to come back in a few days and see if we could get upgraded to a better room, however, we were only staying four nights.

At the end of our stay I let the front desk know how dissatisfied I was with both the room size and the terrible view (there was a reason it was the last one available). They said that they would be contacting me to deal with it in the next few days but would not bill me until it was all resolved, apparently they can't compensate anyone after it is billed to the credit card. Well, they ended up billing me for the entire stay two days later without giving me a call or email.

When I returned home I followed up several times on this. I was told that they couldn't verify that I booked a two bedroom. I asked them to pull the voice recording from my booking which they said they would do. I have not heard back from them since, here was my last email sent on May 27th:

------------
Hi Doug,

It has been a month since our last point of contact. I am not sure what you found out? I am still left with the feeling that I was not given what was promised and I realize I have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a credit now.

I am left with a sour taste in my mouth regarding how this was all handled.

---------------

My conclusion is that they pulled the recording and realized they messed up but they don't want to straighten it out. I haven't received a response to this email, great customer service.

I have never written a bad review on a property before. This was one of the worst experiences I have had with a hotel chain and I travel extensively on business. All in all if I would have received the room I booked I would have rated the place as average. You are paying for the location, that is it.

If I could do it all over again I would have booked the Alden and then paid the small fee and walked the kids 100 yards over to the watersides for the day at the Tradewinds.

After this disappointing experience we had great accommodations in Orlando and the cruise was amazing.

Room Tip: Our "tropical view" room was terrible
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Chisel26
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction, I would like to clarify that each of these concerns were addressed via email prior to the above entry and documented within his folio. Two separate confirmations were sent via email for a one bedroom suite at the correct rate for the dates of stay. This also happened to be over the Easter Holiday, which was during very high occupancy and also a blackout date for a discount that he was requesting as well. Please again accept my apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced. The offer of a room move / upgrade based on availability later was extended but declined as you stated you were only staying for four nights. I'm sorry that we failed to meet your expectations, but clearly some things are beyond our control. Thank you.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Everyone is forced to pay a $35 resort fee per night per room. If you are two adults without the need to park a car or the desire to ride the giant slide and are only here to relax on the beach you're screwed because the only thing on the list of amenities included that you might use is the cabana and that is only $15 per day. It is like throwing $20 a day away.

The food and drink prices are outrageous? At the deli I paid $25 for two already made salads and two bottles of water when we arrived. Out first trip to the bar was $23 for two frozen drinks and a small Red Bull! We got smart and walked to the Publix and liquor store and didn't spend another penny at the resort.

We were told the $35 per person buffet on Sunday is to die for... Seriously $35 per person?

The one night we needed a ride to Johns Pass there was no one available and the trolley wasn't running.

Almost all the other hotels on Gulf Blvd. advertise no resort fee!!! And there are some great restaurants all within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joann S

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. The Resort Amenity Fee does include several other amenities such as wireless internet, paddle boats, fitness center and the business center computers. However, if there is inclement weather during your stay or you were here for a much shorter visit, please ask our front desk about a reduction or removal of the fee. Thank you.