“Tucker the sandwich maker”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 9 July 2014

They have a deli on property and you have to let Tucker make you a sandwich. He is very friendly and makes you smile even when you don't feel like it. Staff is awesome. The pools are nice and clean. You get your cabana's free but have to book the day before. There isn't many shops near by.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (5,537)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

After doing much research looking for a hotel in St. Pete's Beach, Florida. I read great reviews on Tradewinds Resort. I live in Massachusetts. I quit my job in December to care for both of my elderly parents who are very ill. I called and made reservations and spoke to the woman telling her that I need a well needed vacation where I wanted to rest, lay out on the beach, and read books. Also I was there to celebrate my birthday and some friends would be coming to visit me. She told me she would put me in a great, quiet room with ocean view. She quoted me ~420.00/night. I asked her if the had any specials (AA) and she said no. She said the room include parking, blue double cabana, internet, bracelet to use all amenities, and cable. I told her friends would be visiting me and would it be an issue for parking? She said no even though it was the holiday weekend (Memorial Day). It was pricy but it would be worth it considering all that she told me about all the was included. I was burnt out at home I would have paid for any amt. to get R&R.
The day after I booked the room, someone from the hotel called me to tell me about the resort and they told me that I could get 2 nights free for next visit and money card to attend something that sounds like a vacation rental. She asked me what time did I want to go....let me tell u about my life at home...I have two very ill parents who r sick....I just wanted to get away for a few days...as for setting up a time for couple of hours I wasn't interested. But because the woman who I booked the reservations took so much time with me I figured I wouldn't get the room "special room just for me" so I told her I will make the time when I got there....I wanted to get into room first before I said no. I didn't want to lose my "special room just for me". And every other day for 2 weeks they phoned me. I never asked for that, never said I was interested in vacation rental/timeshare. I was shocked when she called me to tell me about it. I feel it was sneaky on reservation person that she informed me someone would call to let me know all the hotel had to offer. She never mentioned this vacation timeshare.....plus they calling me so often. I don't have time to speak to my friends never mind timeshare! She should have been honest and up front in the initially phone call. I would never had booked had I known they would have called so often. And that they were sneaky about it....to this day I feel they r sleazy.
A friend came with me for 2 nights with an infant which was decided last minute. I was charged $5.00/night for the crib. I didn't think that was a big deal but my friend was surprised that I was charged for the amount of the room. We got to the room it was nice and clean but small and a little cheesy. The headboards were nailed higher on the wall but legs didn't meet the floor. We had a balcony with was a must for me. The scenery was beautiful facing the gulf but in front our view was a huge blow up slide that they have. Bummed me out....it was one of the reasons why I paid so much. Also we were 1story about one of their outdoor restaurant which was noisy at night. Thankfully after midnight it got quiet.
The first night we ordered room service and my pasta dish was horrible. My friend got a salad which was larger and was good. The next day on the beach...looking forward to sitting ocean front in my blue cabana. What they didn't tell me it was additional $15.00 for beach front. You need to order it online the night before. The day some friends came to visit I ordered 4 cabanas, paid for them the next day I only had 3. The next day I went to 4 places to try to get my $30.00 back but every place I was told to go the next place said I was in the wrong place and no one knew what to do. Because I left the next day I didn't bother to go after it. Even though everyone (well most) staff were kind but disorganized. If I didn't know better I would have guess this was their 1st weekend at the resort. I was annoyed. And throughout the stay I feel I was nickel and domed for hidden cost that was never mentioned. In order to get your cabana rental you need to order online. Certain times while at the beach I was unable to get online on my IPad.
I went to eat at beef restaurant and the food was horrible. The best thing I ate was a pricy grouper sandwich over $20 on the beach. Even some of their alcohol fancy drinks were terrible. It got to be a joke. In fairness to them I didn't go to their Italian rest or brunch. I went by and it looked good. Also for my birthday I got a coupon for a free drink and breakfast.
Lastly speaking to people on the beach, I paid to much for the room. There was no consistency with room rate. I think I wouldn't have minded so much if the reservation woman didn't say I would get a "special room" and if she told me the additional $15.00 for beach front on cabana rentals. As for friends visiting there was no parking for them and none in the area. 2 didn't people told me that there was plenty of parking. I had to pay additional $30.00 for day passes per person for them....not sure why, I rented the cabana and they bought loads of food and drinks.
If I was so excited I wouldn't have been disappointed. And the majority of the workers were kind. It had loads of activities for kids.

Room Tip: If you order a balcony room make sure the huge blue slide isn't in the way
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank oceanlover524
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I traveled with our two boys, ages 9 and 11, to Tradewinds last week. The boys had a lot of fun - there are tons of activities for the kids - bungee jumping, huge water slide, ocean water park (but it was closed due to weather conditions), beach, arcade, ping pong, paddle boats, and pool. There are also several onsite restaurants to choose from. The room had been updated since the last time we stayed a few years ago, but the hallway still has that worn in/beach kind of smell and feel. The beach is nice - the resort fee ($35/night) includes a cabana in the back rows - $15 more per day for a front row cabana. Our package included unlimited slide on the beach for the boys but the bungee and gyrosphere is additional - at least $8 more per ride which I thought was crazy and felt they should have included at least one time with that activity for the extra $35 per night. Parking is tight when they are crowded. My mom (who lives locally) came to visit for lunch and they couldn't even allow her to park at the resort - they suggested a place a 1/2 mile away which was also very inconvenient. They wouldn't even valet park her car for an hour or so. That was unexpected. But overall, it's a nice place that is fun for the kids. Kids loved every minute of it.

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the parking lot vs. the beach. It was $75 more a night to face the beach w...
1  Thank SKBRIGGS1
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hello SKBRIGGS1,
We're so glad your family enjoyed your time at TradeWinds Island Resorts. Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your accommodations, amenities, and activities. We appreciate your feedback and will take those items into future consideration. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you're back in the area visiting your mother.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Only good thing about the resort was "Mike" the bartender in the main lobby! He was the greatest ever! The door into the suite hits the bed every time you open and close the door. The elevator was hot as hell. Need to reconfigure where to put furnishings, including the bed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to advise that just yesterday we had an outside engineering contractor here starting the re-wiring process for the elevator a/c units. We realized there was an issue with the a/c not cooling properly and immediately took action in finding the contractor for the necessary repairs. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Beautiful St. Petersburg beach is always wonderful! What made this trip extra special was the attentive service. Housekeeping and guest services was always helpful. We had to deal with a couple of special incidences and they took care of everything in such a timely manner. In addition, Aaron, at the Front Desk, was exceptional! He was courteous, funny and went above and beyond to make our stay worthwhile from check in to check out. Love that you can reserve your cabana online the day before and have it set up for you. Wonderful restaurants close by. For great seafood, as well as other delicious dishes, go the Middle Grounds Grill. For the best pizza ever, visit De Losa's at John's Pass in Maderia Beach.

Room Tip: Island Grand has more amenities than the Guy Harvey. Also, the Beachcomber, at the Island Grand, is...
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have been going to TradeWinds Island Grand for 16 years and each time it's an enjoyable experience. The staff and service is top-notch. Definitely a 5-Star resort! A must is to visit Elaine at Salty's Tiki Hut by the adult pool. She knows how to make you feel special! If you order room service, hope you get Beau to serve you .... great guy! Gary York, Manager of the front desk check-in definitely knows how to make you feel special as does his well-trained staff. Sose and Corline from Housekeeping always made our room sparkle. If you're planning a beach vacation in Florida, you won't be disappointed if you book some time at the TradeWinds Island Grand!

Room Tip: Gulf views are the best!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachgirl442014

Hello beachgirl4422014,
Wow! We're honored to be a part of 16 years of memories with your family! Thank you so much for recognizing our outstanding customer service, accommodations, and amenities. We'll be sure to pass along your kind words about those specific staff members as well. We truly appreciate your recommendations and we look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Went for the night with our 9 year old son, this place is a fantastic family place, had the water slide, and at night they had a carnival theme party with 9+ jumpers, games, popcorn, snow cones, hotel had fireworks on the beach. Son had a great time. pools were over crowded, bit small but the ocean view fabulous. had ocean view room, newly remolded. bathroom new and clean. Had Aveda products. Hallways were a little noisy but expected with a kid friendly hotel. Staff was very pleasant, Cannot wait to go back next year.

Hello Christina L,
Our staff really does know how to throw a Fourth of July party don't they!? It's really incredible how everything comes together to create such a wonderful celebration and we're so glad you and your son got to experience it! Thank you for coming to stay with us for the holiday. We're excited that you plan to spend time with us again next year.