“Fun Resort for Family”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family and I stayed here recently while attending a week long conference. While the conference facilities have much to be desired, the resort itself was nice and the amenities were great for the family. The rooms have been updated and the beds are nice. We took advantage of the Cabana reservation program (included in stay) and had some great days at the beach! We also enjoyed the huge slide, pool, activity building, and paddle boats. The on-site restaurants have good food and atmosphere. The prices were in-line with expectations.

The only real disappointment was that EVERYTHING shut down if lighting was spotted within 100 miles. For example, we were sunbathing on the beach with beautiful blue skies and hot sun when an air raid horn sounded. We looked to see what was going on and saw employees scrambling to close the pools, slide, and any other activities, except for the beach. We asked what was going on and were told that lightning had been sighted in the area. I sarcastically asked if they saw it in Miami Beach, because there were no thunderstorms in sight!!!! They said it was for safety. I appreciate that, but I was not in Elementary School where someone needed to tell me when to get off the playground! Yes, they might be liable if someone got struck...NOT, you can't be held liable for acts of god unless they started parasailing in the middle of a thunderstorm. I digress, the bottom line is let adults make the decision on whether they want to swim in the pools or other activities that the resort employees don't have to be exposed to. It will be a more enjoyable experience for patrons paying a lot of money for the fun.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank R B
Write a ReviewReviews (5,537)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here for our family reunion and were very disappointed. Rooms were not what we were promised, the staff was not pleasant and there was a roach in the kitchen! This place is too overpriced for the service!

Room Tip: Make sure they know what you mean by beach view.
4  Thank Nilejustice
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. We take all guest concerns seriously and take even extra precautions when made aware of insects or other pest situations. We have a third party outside contractor who is on call and responds to each individual case regarding insects in guest rooms. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The location is top notch. Check in was very easy with self parking and valet options. Chris at the front desk was great; even helping make sure we had a suite overlooking the water. Our room was on the 6th floor - sliding glass doors overlooked the gorgeous sand and water. The room had fridge & freezer, microwave, sink, dishes, a stove, pots and pans.

There's not a desk but there's a dining table you can use for work. Only problem is that the cold air vent blows right on it and can leave condensation on the table and on the floor. Be careful with that.

Beach was wonderful - great access in many places. Tons of beach chairs and cabanas (easy to reserve or just walk down and ask for one) - the water was so warm and nice. Barely any waves. I didn't have kids with me but I saw lots of children's activities including a huge water slide on the beach, a huge floating playground in the water and games by the pool. Something fun I saw some people do - bring glow in the dark 'things' to play with on the beach at night. Looks awesome!

There are several pools to choose from but only two small hot tubs which often had children in them. I would have preferred an adults only pool but made due.

I loved that there were dogs welcomed everywhere - little special dog play areas and paths clearly marked. There's a lot of wildlife including ducks and swans - there's a lazy river for using a paddleboat, too.

There are many places to eat - from fine dining to just a burger. Went down the street to the guy harvey place called Rum Fish - was pretty delicious.

I wasn't impressed with entertainment - there's a tiki bar that had live music but it was a small bar and not a lot of excitement. There's also a small building that hosts karaoke and other things nightly but it gets pretty stuffed and hard to get a beer from the one bartender. Just down the beach is the beachcomber; I definitely recommend going there - free shots at sunset - it was a great option. Also, for some great greek and american food - walk across the street to Skidders - ask for Izzy; she's fabulous!

On a side note - much commendation to the security staff - specifically Luther - he helped me find a missing credit card and I very much appreciate him!

Room Tip: ask for gulf view
Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Tara M
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our stay at Tradewinds really was a great experience. Every staff member I encountered was so friendly. We have a 3 year old and all of us were able to enjoy ourselves. I highly recommend staying at this resort. We hope to go back very soon.

Room Tip: The ocean view is beautiful.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I've stayed at the Island Grand numerous times. This time had an oceanfront room with balcony that was beautiful. They take great care to clean the beach and provide cabana loungers that you reserve online. I would go back again!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I wish I had paid more attention to the negative reviews that were posted. With so many great reviews, I thought to myself, if you look at enough reviews some are bound to be bad. The general check in process was smooth, but that's where it ends. Our room was dingy with a moist, moldy feel in the air. My children have allergies so this did not help. Our toilet was continuously running, I had someone come fix it...but it didn't fix it. The air conditioner was unusually loud. People were up all night running around the hotel...and it was impossible to sleep. The grounds are so chopped up, you do a lot of walking around to get from place to place. The 2 pools my children could go in, were so small and overcrowded for the size of the hotel...they never went in. The line for the slide was incredibly long...so again, my children never went in. The paddle boats were so poorly maintained, you can't even turn and the area you have to work with is narrow and overcrowded. (My kids did like the paddle boats)

The parking spaces are so tight and so overcrowded...at times we took 20 minutes to find somewhere to park. Then, our car was dinged in the lot. When I called the front desk they said I needed to file a report with security and go through a lengthy process...and we didn't want to waste our time...so we never followed through. I tried to get our room changed and had absolutely no success. Then the time share people called...and even though I rattled off all my issues...they said if there is any way I can help...please let me know. I called back after having no success at the front desk....and they said they couldn't help me either. We stayed at this resort for 5 nights. On Day 2 I went down to the front desk asking if I could checkout....with all the issues I had...and they said I would still have to pay. We were stuck here...my son was doing a baseball camp. I wanted to move hotels. NO LUCK. I asked to upgrade my room...the only thing they offered was for me to pay a ton of money to be in a suite in front of the pool ----where it was so crowded a loud I would not go there for anything.

I only ate at the resort once. I took my daughter to breakfast at Bermuda's....and she ordered scrambled eggs with cheese from the station at the buffet,..he handed back runny over easy eggs folded over with cheese in the middle. My daughter didn't want anything else after taking one bite..she was grossed out...the whole dining area was moist and dingy with low ceilings. We were still charged for full buffet even though she didn't eat. We travel a lot....and this was by far the worst resort we ever stayed at.

One night my husband went to get ice and there was throw up by the elevators...too many drunks for a "family" resort. Clientele in general was not desirable. When you go down to get pool towels...we thought they may be recycled dirty. they were still damp and not folded...

11  Thank apc40

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies for failing to meet your expectation. I appreciate that you responded to my request for contact and that you have provided us the opportunity to resolve each of your concerns. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The grounds are beautiful. The staff was very pleasant. The beach is beautiful. I am a Florida native but reside on the east coast. I was reminded of how different the beaches are on the west coast. I stayed in what I believe was a time share room (Breckenridge building) with a breataking view of the Gulf. I was here for a conference and my only gripe would be with the smokers. There were no designated smoking or non-smoking areas for that matter. After each class the smokers would quickly gather to the closest outdoor area and start lighting it up. This included near pool areas and children. I understand that some of this fault lies with the smokers themselves but if there was an area designated for this perhaps it would save some of us from second hand smoke (especially my 7 month old that I was traveling with). The overall impression of the resort was memorable and I would definitely consider staying again.

Room Tip: 7th floor in the Breckenridge building for an amazing view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business