“Jet Lev and overall experience”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Oldsmar, Florida
“Jet Lev and overall experience”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our overall trip was great. The activities for the kids kept them engaged and they really had a good time. The room was recently remodeled and in good condition. Wish we had opted for a balcony but will have to do that next time. I had read some complaints about calls regarding their timeshare / travel packages; we were offered a session with some deal when we checked in and we politely just said NO and please do NOT call us. We never received a call or another offer.

The Jet Lev experience was truly awesome. I knew nothing about what I was doing but John, Will and Peter did an excellent job giving me instructions on how to work the Jet Lev. It is a work out so be prepared but overall I would definitely do it again. The key is having good instructors that are patient and work with you to literally have you flying over the water after a 10-15 minute course.

What was great:
The activities on the beach and across the property were great. The pools while smaller had several of them so that wasn't such a concern as we spent most of our time on the beach and only took occasional dips in the pools or showers to cool off as the ocean was warm. The water activities were great. Catch the ocean water park before noon to avoid a crowd. The water slide was least crowded early and around lunch but the line moves faster than you would think. The staff was very attentive and friendly. My kids really enjoyed the craft sessions and digging for sharks teeth to break up the day.

Ideas for improvements:
We've stayed at a Club Med resort and they had more family activities at night. For example the kids trained one day and performed a skit at night to music. Every night they had a family dance party in a bar area for an hour or so. My in-laws and kids really liked this and it would be a good addition to add.

Room Tip: Select a beach front room on the Breckinridge(sp?) side of the resort. We had no noise on the 5th...
1 Thank Chris U

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,396)
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The only reason why this stay was good was because I had 22 family members to spend it with and the weather was good. The hotel service and room cleaning was bad. The beds were uncomfortable and had wood boards to keep firm. The coffee table broken, staff were not well trained. All the free stuff was always canceled but yet the excursions were always open. Not worth the money at allll

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gerri-ann C
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies for failing to meet your expectations. I have forwarded this to our housekeeping department managers for further review to see if there were any calls for daily service or if there were any do not disturb rooms improperly documented. This may have resulted in the absence of service on that one day. Regarding the bed board, it's obvious the prior guest had requested additional support. However, it should be noted that later this year when occupancy allows such, we will be replacing all guest rooms mattresses and box springs. About the closing of the activity events, pools and beach, safety of our guest is a top priority. During inclement weather we are require to close these events if lightning is within 15 miles of our location. If not for that, with ongoing winds out of the West, making the Gulf waters too rough for the water park and creating strong currents and rip tides, those are closed for your safety. Thank you for bringing your extended family here to our resort. I'm sorry that you were not completely satisfied with you stay and if I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate tot contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Don't know where to start. How about day one.

Get into our room to fine the coffee table about to lose a leg along with the table on the balcony.

One of our four beds had a piece of plywood underneath the mattress due to a broken box spring.

Then I pulled out our ironing board to find out it was bent to where it wouldn't function. Pretty hard to miss if you do an inspection of the room after each guess. So we called down to get it replaced and a 1/2 hour later they drop it off without taking the broken one. Had to wait yet again.

Then the housekeeping missed our room two days in a row. I mean we had nine people staying with us so between the toiletries going fast we had to call yet again.

We talked with a manager and they did give is a days credit towards our stay. So that helped ease the pain a little bit.

Now if you know Florida at all it rains and it stops. But with all their late night activities if they got a a hint of rain or lighting everything got canceled. I mean with all the indoor space to rent rooms for conferences or receptions they didn't have a backup for anything.

Sorry for the rant but if you would ask if I would recommend or stay here again, I would have to say no.

Just wasn't what they make it out to be.

Now the next two day

Stayed July 2014
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies. It was a pleasure to meet you just prior to your departure. As per our conversation, each of your concerns were addressed and I've forwarded it on to the proper department managers for further review. I also took time to explain our policy regarding inclement weather and the priority of guest safety. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
Destin, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family and I stayed here recently while attending a week long conference. While the conference facilities have much to be desired, the resort itself was nice and the amenities were great for the family. The rooms have been updated and the beds are nice. We took advantage of the Cabana reservation program (included in stay) and had some great days at the beach! We also enjoyed the huge slide, pool, activity building, and paddle boats. The on-site restaurants have good food and atmosphere. The prices were in-line with expectations.

The only real disappointment was that EVERYTHING shut down if lighting was spotted within 100 miles. For example, we were sunbathing on the beach with beautiful blue skies and hot sun when an air raid horn sounded. We looked to see what was going on and saw employees scrambling to close the pools, slide, and any other activities, except for the beach. We asked what was going on and were told that lightning had been sighted in the area. I sarcastically asked if they saw it in Miami Beach, because there were no thunderstorms in sight!!!! They said it was for safety. I appreciate that, but I was not in Elementary School where someone needed to tell me when to get off the playground! Yes, they might be liable if someone got struck...NOT, you can't be held liable for acts of god unless they started parasailing in the middle of a thunderstorm. I digress, the bottom line is let adults make the decision on whether they want to swim in the pools or other activities that the resort employees don't have to be exposed to. It will be a more enjoyable experience for patrons paying a lot of money for the fun.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are great!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank R B
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here for our family reunion and were very disappointed. Rooms were not what we were promised, the staff was not pleasant and there was a roach in the kitchen! This place is too overpriced for the service!

Room Tip: Make sure they know what you mean by beach view.
4 Thank Nilejustice
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. We take all guest concerns seriously and take even extra precautions when made aware of insects or other pest situations. We have a third party outside contractor who is on call and responds to each individual case regarding insects in guest rooms. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The location is top notch. Check in was very easy with self parking and valet options. Chris at the front desk was great; even helping make sure we had a suite overlooking the water. Our room was on the 6th floor - sliding glass doors overlooked the gorgeous sand and water. The room had fridge & freezer, microwave, sink, dishes, a stove, pots and pans.

There's not a desk but there's a dining table you can use for work. Only problem is that the cold air vent blows right on it and can leave condensation on the table and on the floor. Be careful with that.

Beach was wonderful - great access in many places. Tons of beach chairs and cabanas (easy to reserve or just walk down and ask for one) - the water was so warm and nice. Barely any waves. I didn't have kids with me but I saw lots of children's activities including a huge water slide on the beach, a huge floating playground in the water and games by the pool. Something fun I saw some people do - bring glow in the dark 'things' to play with on the beach at night. Looks awesome!

There are several pools to choose from but only two small hot tubs which often had children in them. I would have preferred an adults only pool but made due.

I loved that there were dogs welcomed everywhere - little special dog play areas and paths clearly marked. There's a lot of wildlife including ducks and swans - there's a lazy river for using a paddleboat, too.

There are many places to eat - from fine dining to just a burger. Went down the street to the guy harvey place called Rum Fish - was pretty delicious.

I wasn't impressed with entertainment - there's a tiki bar that had live music but it was a small bar and not a lot of excitement. There's also a small building that hosts karaoke and other things nightly but it gets pretty stuffed and hard to get a beer from the one bartender. Just down the beach is the beachcomber; I definitely recommend going there - free shots at sunset - it was a great option. Also, for some great greek and american food - walk across the street to Skidders - ask for Izzy; she's fabulous!

On a side note - much commendation to the security staff - specifically Luther - he helped me find a missing credit card and I very much appreciate him!

Room Tip: ask for gulf view
Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Tara M
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our stay at Tradewinds really was a great experience. Every staff member I encountered was so friendly. We have a 3 year old and all of us were able to enjoy ourselves. I highly recommend staying at this resort. We hope to go back very soon.

Room Tip: The ocean view is beautiful.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#25 of 98 in Clearwater
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!