“TradeWinds Just Keeps Getting Better!!”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Columbia, South Carolina
“TradeWinds Just Keeps Getting Better!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

As a very long time return quest at the TradeWinds (almost every year since 1990). I have seen the transformation of this wonderful Hotel and Vacation destination turn into a truly wonderful and unique place for anyone to come and enjoy a week or a weekend at the Best Beach in the World!!. This place has something for everyone-Business, Family or Solo!! You just cannot go wrong if you choose the TradeWinds!!

Room Tip: Higher floors the best.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
Seymour, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had 3 adults and 2 children in a 2 bedroom suite- gulf-front balcony, full kitchen, very comfy. The layout was a bit weird- you walked into the suite THROUGH one of the bedrooms! Okay- whatever. The water was fabulous, great beach. The kids loved the various water slides and play areas, we rented jet skis, paddleboards, kayaks, but also just played in the ocean from morning til night (and after dark too!) with the rafts and noodles etc we had brought with us. Reserved our cabanas every day. Kids loved the "Dive In Movie" in the pools, but I found the pools MUCH too warm and MUCH to crowded and small. Probably one of the only negatives. The place is very busy, so sometimes housekeeping comes at odd times, but all the staff was very friendly and super service-oriented. Crafts at the Konk Club for kids--very cool. Decent food availability- the Rumfish Grill at the Guy Harvey Resort was great! This place is not NEW by any means- it is a re-purposing of several older beachfront hotels, probably why the pools are so small. We were very satisfied though. The beach can't be beat. The St. Pete Beach area has lots of things to do. Man it is HOT in FL in July- if you actually tried to play tennis on the courts, you might die. I got a really nice pedicure in the Spa, too. WiFi, hair braiding for the girls, plenty of bars (got a little tired of seeing the younger crowd staggering drunk in the evening, but....), some live music, the fabulous sunsets-- we were all happy. AND for 5 people, I gotta say I was happy with the price, too. We all agree we would recommend it, and even go back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
St pete beach
Reviewed 6 August 2014

John, Mac and Will were awesome! I was a little nervous at first but they make you feel confident and give you great instruction! Thank you guys for such an amazing experience! It was the icing on the cake to such a fantastic weekend!

• Stayed August 2014
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is a hodge-podge of buildings that do not connect well. You have to walk through a banquet hall to get from one courtyard to another, for example. Parking, therefore, is not convenient to your room. While the bell hops are more than eager to grab your stuff out of your car, we only had one bag per person and preferred to keep them with us. We ended up slogging quite a distance.

The best part of the hotel are the alcoholic drinks. The pours are very generous, and every bartender seemed quite experienced and jovial. The room itself was immaculately clean, so I give them a lot of credit for that, particularly for a beach hotel! The buildings, however, look shabby, and things like the furniture in the elevator foyers are broken and in need of repair.

As others have correctly pointed out, even though you pay a $35 per day resort fee (on top of your room rate) and get a plastic wristband that must stay on your wrist the entire time (not comfortable when sleeping!), the $35 doesn't get you much. Every kid's craft is an extra $10. The floating ocean playground is an extra $15 or $20 per person, per hour. If you want a beach chair in the front row, that's an extra $15. We paid for that, ready to enjoy the view, but locals showed up with radios and umbrellas and coolers and camped out directly in between the hotel's chairs and the ocean. What the heck? Every day, our expensive view was of some random family. One day, three different families erected TENTS in front of the hotel's beach chairs! Doesn't the hotel have any claim to the space directly in front of it?

Another annoying factor was that you were expected to use your phone's internet access for everything. Want to reserve your "included" beach chair? Get on your phone and access a certain website the day before. Signs abounded to "text this number for coupons" to use at the resort. Want a hamburger on the beach? Go to yet another website and order one.

Perhaps because of the generous alcoholic pours and the good bartenders, the pools are a risky place to hang out with your kids. We tried to eat lunch at the resort's Beef O'Brady's patio, and were treated to drunk men in thongs waving their...um...well, THONGS all around the crowd, singing loudly, etc. The pools are all overcrowded. There is no hotel security visible. There are no managers walking the property. I never saw one in three days. Although this is billed as a family-friendly resort with lots of kids' activities, it's really a party hang-out for middle-aged adults who want to drink a lot. Not a good mix--we get screaming children in our hotel hallway and drunken I-wish-I-were-still-in-college adults by the pool.

The bathrooms and changing rooms located closest to the ocean, near the Beef O'Brady's and the tiki bar, are disgusting. The toilet overflowed, and the floor was inches deep in sewage, a true health hazard. Again...never saw a manager walking the property to check on these things. I did call the front desk to report it about thirty minutes later, and no one else had called it in yet. Gross. I steered clear of the area for the rest of our stay.

The drunken adult atmosphere is encouraged by "passports." You are to have five drinks, at least one at each bar, and have your passport stamped by the bartender. Then, you can get a free T-shirt. We did complete this during our stay. Guess what? The T-shirts were out of stock except in size small and size XL and 2XL, and then only in one of the two colors. There was a line of people at Sunday morning check-out, all with their passports, all ready to be told there aren't any T-shirts in their size.

St. Pete beach is nice, the room was clean, but if you are looking for a lovely beach weekend, I recommend you keep browsing hotels. Or, heck, just show up with your tent and your beach chairs and enjoy all the hotel facilities for free. That seems to be what the locals do.

We were in room 4604. "Intracoastal view." I assure you, what you can see are rooftops, a/c units, and a little bit of traffic. There is no water in sight. What you do get is the exhaust from the restaurants. We called our room "the bacon room," because you could smell the grill through the a/c. In the evenings, it changed to more of a greasy fryer smell. That's what you get when your "Intracoastal" view is actually the restaurant roof and exhaust. I'll attach a photo taken through the filthy window of our beautiful "intracoastal view," and you can judge for yourself.

Room Tip: Do not be fooled by the "Intracoastal view" room description. We were in 4604. I'm i...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you Caro for the positive comments regarding the generous pours of the bartenders and the details of your experience while here. I would like to briefly provide a little additional information which may explain of few issues better. Your guest room in the Breckenridge building does have it's own parking lot based on availability and therefore prohibits the extended walk through both courtyards as you indicated.
Regarding the situation of where tents were put up directly in front of the cabanas, this is prohibited and upon seeing your review, I immediately forwarded this to our beach services managers.
The beach and our fifteen food and beverage outlets are open to the public. However, it is unfortunate that some people don't control their own behavior as others would so desire. The individuals you mention at Beef O'Brady's were indeed approached by our security staff and determined to be non-registered guest and were trespassed off property by the local authorities.
I apologize for the condition of the changing rooms by the tiki bar. This area gets a lot of traffic form both the pools and beach, with our grounds crew / housekeeping servicing it several times daily. It's worth noting that this changing room area is currently scheduled for a complete reconstruction later this year when we undertake a larger renovation of our Beef O'Brady's and Bermuda's restaurants.
Overall, I'm sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and if I could be of any further assistance, please contact me directly.
Thank you.
Doug Rogers
Director of Guest Satisfaction
drogers@twresort.com
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Anthony Melchiorri, please help them! I am a frequent vacationer to places around the country. Honestly, I think a moron must be running the TradeWinds Hotel (it's not really a resort). I live in Pinellas County, Florida - which is to say that I live on the Gulf of Mexico on a peninsula; this peninsula includes St. Pete Beach. The TradeWinds hotel is nice: about "3 Stars." It is clean, but during my recent visit, I was very disappointed with the customer service. The rooms go for around $250 per night.. Not cheap and not worth the hotel stay; however, it is on the Gulf and that makes the price tolerable. That being said, I have a few suggestions for management: 1) Do your major maintenance, tree trimming, painting, etc... during the off-season (let's say January). I went for a morning walk on the beach and was stopped by security to go around the hotel, through the parking lot and then past the garbage dumpsters so I could enter my section of the hotel. Apparently they were trimming the trees around the pool and blocked the entrance from the beachside. I explained to security that: "I paid $250 per night, I should be allowed to enter the pool area and into the hotel." He told me that they were also cleaning the hallway, so I could not go in. WHAT?!? So, I took my 1/4 mile walk around the parking lot and dumpsters. 2) The guests come first. The condescending tone of the front desk and security is unacceptable... enough said, we all know what rude people sound like. 3) Why are you a resort?? Because you have two pools and a couple of over-priced restaurants?? Everything else near your hotel is run by outside vendors - and nothing is inexpensive. 4) Fix your parking issues... I know it's the beach, but telling guests, "I know we are out of parking spaces, but there is nothing we can do," is insane!! Where am I, a guest, supposed to park while staying at your hotel?? The management is a joke! The fact that it is called a resort, is a joke!! The parking, is a joke!! The only reason why they survive is because people love St. Pete Beach! Hey owners, replace your hotel manager!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin K
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Kevin K. I certainly understand your frustration regarding the tree trimming that is currently in process throughout the property. I apologize for the inconvenience this temporarily created by making you take an alternate route in returning to your guest room. It was for your own personal safety, both the tree trimming and the the cleaning of the floor at the rear entrance to the building, since access was already not available. Actually, we also trim the trees in the off-season / winter months. It is actually a requirement of our insurance provider to have this service completed twice per year.
I apologize for the condescending tone of both our security and front desk staff. Each are in a difficult position to provide information to a guest which may be upsetting at times. Please don't think they were being rude, just attempting to answer your questions and provide correct information at that time.
Regarding the resort, in combination there are a total of seven pools, fifteen different restaurants and outlets to to choose from for a dining experience and we do have outside vendors providing additional water sport activities for those who wish to experience the Gulf of Mexico.
Regarding the parking which can be challenging at times, we do restrict our guest parking policy to one vehicle per guest room. Once the parking lot is full, we do offer complimentary valet parking.
I see that you are a local resident living nearby and made your reservation through a promotional Bluegreen Vacations offer on a three night stay. If I could assist you in making any future reservations with TradeWinds, please contact me directly.
Thank you.
Doug Rogers
Director of Guest Satisfaction
drogers@twresort.com
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of our two week America trip. The idea of staying here was having somewhere to relax after our hectic Florida theme park days.

Location: There isn't too much around if you aren't driving, we walked to a few shops and supermarket which was about 20 mins away. This however did not bother us. The fact it was on the the beach was the main reason we chose this hotel. So with regards to location it was spot on.

Eating: For the four days we were there, there was plenty of choice.
Beef 'O' Brady's was the favorite, the buffalo wings were amazing (I feel like getting a flight back just for those) not to mention the service. Outside of the hotel there is a restaurant facing which was also lovely.

Hotel / Room: The room was modern with enough space for two. The bed was very comfy. the small but adequate kitchen was nice allowing to cook a few of our own meals. The view would have been enjoyed much more if we could get onto the balcony but the door was a nightmare to open a close. Bathroom was nice and had everything we needed. I loved the swan boats, I thought this was lovely and a unique thing to have. There was also one night a large screen near the pool playing a film, we hadn't stopped to watch as our tummies wanted to go elsewhere but again a nice idea.

The concierge were very helpful as were the staff around the hotel.

I don't have anything to complain about, about this hotel. I would say this hotel is more towards business and adults as oppose to kids. We did however go in November.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Valparaiso,Indiana
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Great resort to relax on the beach. As a Bluegreen owner our room was on the 2nd floor in the Breckinridge building. Was an ocean view and right above the adult pool.Check in was easy.No problem parking at all. Guess it depends on how crowded they are. Resort was very clean considering how many people come and go. Everywhere we went we saw people cleaning. Very relaxing time in the furnished cabana on the beach. Would not want to stay down by the other pool as that is where most of the people and kids hang out.

Would have no second thoughts of going back next year.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!