“What a disappointment”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
atheneum
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked a nearly $400/night Gulf-View Suite at this hotel.

Upon arrival, we found ourselves in a mess of abandoned cars at the entrance with the valet staff completely overwhelmed.

We entered the facility and, within 5 minutes, we accosted by hotel staff with time-share offers.

Then we were shown to our "Gulf-View Suite..."

First of all, the suite had a FILTHY dirt-fogged window that faced the internal courtyard of the property. Standing outside on the Motel-style open corridors, one faced the parking lot. Standing out there, peeking around a corner, it arguably was POSSIBLE to see a sliver of gulf.
The room itself was "decked out" with 1970s or early 1980's furnishings and was the size of a Motel 6 room plus a kitchenette with a 2-person wall-table and an ancient sofa.
The bathroom was tiny and tired with chips and rust in the ancient bathtub.

Of course, upon complaining we received the standard: "Sorry, but we're a 100% booked."

Given their apparent immense popularity, we decided to not bother unpacking and to make this gem of a suite available for someone else. (Feel free to see my next review to learn where we moved to...)

7 Thank atheneum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is my second time at this resort and it just gets better! The staff is extremely accommodating and friendly. Chris at guest services insured we had an amazing time while Rachel at concierge was eager to find happy hours and restaurants in the area. Sophie in activities was so friendly and knowledgable. There were so many activities and great food at the resort, there was no reason to leave. Overall, this resort is my favorite vacation destination.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank Kaitlyn-Alexand... G
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Hello!
It's great to hear that our staff went above and beyond to accommodate you and make you feel special during your stay. Thank you for recognizing those specific team members for their efforts. Please come back visit us again soon!
Kind Regards,
Leni
Dale City, Virginia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I checked other resorts on St Pete Beach, but found Tradewinds had them all beat by far. The grounds were very well kept, the beach was clean, and the entire staff were very friendly. I stayed for 5 days/4 nights, had a Gulf Front room with balcony on the 6th floor in the Jacaranda building, I couldn't have asked for a better view, it was spectacular! Yes, the balcony is small, but served it's purpose. In the evenings, after a long exhausting day, I would sit out and listen to the waves crash on the beach and feel the cool breeze...was very relaxing. The housekeeping staff did a great job cleaning, no issues with them what so ever. The room looked nice and the bed was comfortable.
I would recommend renting a car to get around. There are nice restaurants in the St Pete/Tampa area, and the Orlando theme parks are just a little over an hour away. I never had a problem finding a parking space at the Resort.
As others have stated, the Resort is a bit pricey, but you have to understand, this is a Resort, not a Holiday Inn or Howard Johnsons.
The Resort was also very convenient to the Tampa Intl Airport. I checked out, drove to the airport, returned the rental car and was ticketed for my flight all within 30 min. Nice!
The only issue I had during my stay was at check-in. I arrived 1 and a half hours early and my room wasn't ready. I was dressed in business casual and the person at the desk recommend I take a walk on the beach until my room was ready. Now, who in their right mind would walk on the beach on a sweltering hot day, in dress pants, long sleeve dress shirt and dress shoes? Hmmm. I stayed inside and waited for my room, it was ready and the scheduled 4 PM check-in time. This was my 2nd stay at the Tradewinds, I'll definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a view (gulf/beach/palm trees/a gulf breeze), I would definitely recommend...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Upstate, NY
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was our 2nd visit to Tradewinds. Again we had a very nice visit. The entire resort is very clean. Very nice beach. There is at least 1 adults only pool, so if you'd like a break from the kids it is available on property.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Winter Garden
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed a week at Island Grand with our three boys, ages 11, 18 and 21. We stayed in a tropical view balcony suite. I agree with other comments that some of the activities such as the beach waterslide and paddle boats shut down too early. The pools are on the small side for such a large resort. The on-site mini-golf is in desperate need of renovation. The inflatable water park was open 3 days during the week we were there. We were told the water/wind conditions prevented it from being put up the other days. We had purchased waterpark tickets online before arriving, and didn't get to use them, not realizing it wouldn't be up the last three days of our stay. I requested and received a refund for the tickets.

Our room was clean when we arrived and cleaned well each day by the housekeepers. Resort staff are everywhere and the grounds were kept in nice shape. Housekeepers were polite. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The stovetop in our room quit working as we were trying to cook lunch one day. They ended up replacing the unit, and gave us dinner and dessert for 5 at the Flying Bridge Restaurant on site. Food on site is average, but we found some excellent places to eat nearby. Verducci's, Madfish and Middle Grounds are recommended.

The beach is fantastic and the sunsets on the beach were wonderful. We took advantage of the beach cabanas each day as well. My sons enjoyed using the exercise room, which was nice. We spent a day deep sea fishing and another going to Shell Island. Both trips were a lot of fun. I recommend reserving the day prior on the website - it's easy to do. Overall, this is a nice resort that is well run. Our family enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank Tim H
Clifton park
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We purchased the 3 night adventure package. Half the things we wanted to do werenr available. The waterpark was not up our entire stay. I asked the bellhop when we got here about it and he said if it's up twice a week you're lucky. Many staff seemed unhappy and unmotivated to work. Housekeepers grunted hello, if that. Banana boat was "popped". Jet skis were out 1 of 4 days. Pools were extremely small for the number of guests. Slide down by 6 pm, paddle boats closed at 6, but you have to get there by 5:30 or you're not going out (even though we were told 5:45). Rooms were dirty. Carpet had not been vacuumed. Found dirty towels in the drawers and on the balcony. All activities closed by 6, bankers hours NOT vacationers hours. Gordon Ramsey needs to come on and go an overall in order to truly call this a resort. Food was mediocre at best. Drinks were good. When I book a " resort" I have certain expectations... Definitely did not live up!!!!
David at Salty's Tiki Bar was the only one who went above and beyond.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Kaitsam42
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We continue to bring our children back to Tradewinds Island Grand because of the location, room sizes (we always reserve the 2 bedroom/with ocean balcony). The hotel staff is very friendly and accommodating when requesting a service. I must mention Jackie Campbell who cleaned our room with care time and time again! I will agree with some other reviews in that the hotel could use some renovating. We tend to use the beach as the pools do seem to get dirty quickly because they are small. This being said, there is a terrific kids club for children 9 and under.

1 Thank SheriS918
Hello Sheri S918,
Thank you! Your loyalty means so much to us. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience, feedback and to recognize Jackie for her efforts. We look forward to seeing you and the family for visit number eight!
Kind Regards,
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!