TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Alden Suites(St. Pete Beach)
  • Pool
Sirata Beach Resort(St. Pete Beach)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Beach Haven(St. Pete Beach)
View Hotel
Dolphin Beach Resort(St. Pete Beach)
View Hotel
Gulf Tides Inn(St. Pete Beach)
5,731 results
All reviewspaddle boatsflying bridgejacaranda buildingbeefpizza hutpirate showthe palm courtgiant slidebeach slidetrade windsadult poolkids clubkids activitiesfront rowmini golfbedroom suitefamily vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 December 2008

I laughed when I got back and read the reviews recently posted before this one. I also booked on priceline and from reading this site knew full well that there was a $25 fee. However, I also paid $30 more per night once we got there for an ocean front room that was quite a bit bigger than the "priceline room". Also there are 3 or 4 restaurants there that other than the sports bar don't actually serve "bar food". We ate at the Italian place and it was pretty good, although pricey. It was weird that the on site Pizza Hut was closed for renovations and then suddenly opened with no changes.

Overall, this place is clearly better than a lot of places along this beach and Treasure Island and it is also older and dated than hotels in other areas of Tampa, but not a rip off even at $80 + $25 when it is listed for more on their website and on expedia. I would recommend asking for a ocean front upgrade if you do priceline it, why else would you be on the beach. It is funny how some people are so cheap and then complain that they get a bad room. I guess that is why they have different rates out there.... LOL.

I do agree that they have some bad policies though. Apparently the tennis racket is included in the resort fee, but it is $4 for balls... Also that slide is a rip off too. Ironically, everyone on here complains but it was in full use while we were there by some people willing to pay for it.

However, if you are reading this and can do the math it is likely that an upgraded room, with the resort fee will get you a good time for cheaper than comparable places in this area.

1  Thank wrldtvler
Reviewed 30 December 2008

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite facing the Gulf and were very happy with this property. I've read the recent reviews on the site --maybe the reviewers got PriceLine rooms that are not as nice and people are really pissed at the $25 resort fee ($35 a night for the suites). But actually we felt we got great value here. OK, stay away from the mini-bar at $4 for a soda or bottle of water, but otherwise it's fine.

Staff were really nice; the resort doesn't nickel and dime its guests since the resort fee covers everything from business center to telephone to paddleboats, lounges and ocean buggies. Breakfast buffet is an excellent value, especially since little kids eat free. Children's menu at the Flying Bridge made it a fantastic value feeding our kids. Bermuda's for dinner is one of the best all-time hotel dinners at a great price.

We enjoyed our suites with a great Gulf view and St. Pete beach is quite a beautiful beach. We liked the variety of things you can do at this property and that it is really good for families with kids. We found this resort through a guide of family resorts in America. Tampa makes a good destination; easy airport and transfer, good weather and nice nearby attractions. We had good dinners as well at the Don Cesar and Renaissance Vinoy resorts.

Our main issues with this resort: 1. There are very few 2 bedroom suites on the property of over 500 rooms. Those that exist are mostly right in front of the elevator in the Jacaranda building. Not a great place for a suite since people congregate right there. 2. When you walk into a suite, you walk right into a bedroom. This is so that the parlors face the Gulf. Problem is that you have to wake up people just to walk in and out. We had the kids in what was supposed to be the master bedroom to avoid this problem, but that obviously wasn't the intention in building it.... 3. Water pressure in the guest rooms is poor, presumably due to the fact that the resort claims to be environmentally friendly. Problem is that I was rinsing my toothbrush in the bathtub since I couldn't get enough water out of the sink to get the toothpaste out. In the kitchen, we couldn't clean bowls and plates because the sink was so light on pressure. This environmental stuff is silly when taken to such excess because it just forces people to use even more water. This was by far the most annoying thing. 4. There are two elevators for the entire Jacaranda building; they need more. Sometimes you get on an elevator going down but it winds up going up and it can take a good few minutes to get out of that building using the elevators. 5. There is a canal on the property with swans, one of which is known to be aggressive. It bit my daughter. Not badly but it was quite a shock; if they know it is aggressive, maybe they should get rid of it. 6. There is only one towel shack for all the pools and you have to walk a bit to get to it. You can't get towels without showing your room key and I did have to argue the next day because they did not show on their records that I had returned the towels. It would be nice to make the place a bit more towel friendly.

Other than the above, we were very happy and would return. It may be that with this resort, you are happier if you book the upper-tier rooms. On the whole, I am sick of the concept of resort fees -- whatever a resort charges is what it should charge in the room rate -- but overall, the place is quite reasonable and I'm sure that over the Christmas holidays we were paying more than what other people are paying for these rooms.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2008

We booked our stay in October on Priceline for $99 a night. I should have done more research on here - it seems like this hotel wins for all of the St. Pete 4* bids. I had a family member decide to join us last minute and they booked through Priceline for $75 a night. I then read the reviews on here and I got quite nervous. But we decided to make the best of it. Just like the other Priceline reviews - we got the really small room with the one tiny strip of a window. Two small double beds. I asked for our family to be close to us (our room had a door to adjoin the room next door) but they put them a floor down at the other end of the building. Exact same room as us - with the thin 1 foot wide window. This must be the "Priceline room" I suppose. There was the $25 a day resort fee that covered parking and the amenities. We headed down to the pool and found the towel hut. We gave them our room key and the woman said "go get a towel" and we couldn't find the stack - we only saw two big laundry bins tossed full of used towels. We asked where they were and she pointed to the laundry bins with the tossed, unfolded towels. This was a little odd - it felt like these were used towels we were getting. We went down to the beach and rented two chairs with a shade. This was nice - but you only get 2 chairs per room and our other room had 4 people. You had to pay an extra $30 for another two chairs. We then went to go down the giant slide and it turns out it wasn't included in the resort fee - it was $4 a ride or $35 all day. Then we went on the water trikes and our one tire was full of water so we were really leaning - I thought we were going to fall over. So we only stayed out a few minutes and gave up. The guy said a bunch of football players broke them all. We have stayed in a lot of different hotels and this hotel is not a 4*. Our room was dated and small, the amenities were all dated. The restaurants served all fried bar food. This place is definitely a scam for the priceline customers. We decided to go to the beach for a few hours before our 11am checkout. As we were getting dressed around 8am the staff knocked on our room to clean it. We put up the do not disturb and headed to the beach. When we came back around 10am the same guy kept walking by and putting his hands up on the glass looking in the window!

1  Thank 407Gator
Reviewed 27 December 2008

we booked it on priceline. once we got there, we were told there was a mandatory $25 nightly extra charge. This is illegal and hopefully there will be a class action law suit about this against priceline soon as there is lots of complaints about such mandatory hidden charges on the internet.
aside from that, this place was DEAD in high season. there was no one in the lobby and it was spooky and DEPRESSED . it seemed like more than 3/4 of the rooms were vacant, and yet they managed to give us the worst possible room in the whole hotel, which had no windows, had furniture in poor condition and had a musky odor. the reasoning they gave us for the terrible room was "you booked on priceline".
even forgiving the poor choice for the room. this hotel is a 3 star at the very best.

Reviewed 22 December 2008

We had my daughter's wedding at your hotel on 11-22-08 (Julie Gatlin/Devine). Renee Prine helped us organize it and she was very helpful, kind and organized. Everything went perfectly. The food was wonderful and all the service was great. Everyone had a wonderful time. I would highly recommend you to anyone who is looking for a place to have a wedding or looking for a great vacation spot. Thank you very much!

Stayed: November 2008