“TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort is the ultimate vacation getaway!”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Columbus, OH
“TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort is the ultimate vacation getaway!”
Reviewed 24 June 2009

My wife & I spent almost nearly 2 weeks at TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort and we had the best time! The staff was friendly, courteous and very willing to help. The grounds and accommodations were kept very clean. The food and service were excellent! We found it very relaxing and very difficult to leave once our stay was finished. We heartily recommend the TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, and we'll be back!

Brian and Karen Distelzweig

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Pros: pools, scenic, location

Cons: $25 resort fee per day (plus tax) that was not indicated through Priceline until I checked in; Resort fee overly priced; Manager (Neil) did not address our concerns; Small window for lighting; Way too many people; Too much like timeshare property; Did I say too many people?

I would give it a 3 star rating as some other sites have shown. Not 4 star as Priceline shows. We got a 2 star room in this 4 star hotel. They admitted they have 4 star rooms, but Priceline sets us up in a cheapest room they offer (they have 25 price levels). They guard their towels like they are made of gold, so be sure to keep an eye on them or you will get charged. Other on-site activities require a charge so be aware.

1 Thank ggolff
jeanettestpete, General Manager's Office at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2009
Reservations made through Priceline.com are responsible for the resort amenity fee based on Priceline.com’s terms and conditions, Section 2.C.

A representative from our resort will be attempting to contact ggolff through Trip Advisor for further information and to address any concerns.
Stow, Ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2009

The rooms were not clean. It seemed VERY OLD and worn-out.
Our first room #2605 sounded like we had a JACKHAMMER in the bathroom....anytime the sink, toilet or shower was used the pipes made the most awful....LOUD noise! It was so loud it woke me up 4 times during the first night and I take Ambien to sleep!!!! Our second room #2611 was much less noisy but you could still hear it. When I initially complained about the noise the staff acted as if I was making it up...CRAZY!
The beach towel situation is strange too. You must use your room key to receive/retun towels which in theory is great except they only have one towel "HUT" open until 8:00 PM so you have to walk all around the large resort to get to the hut, wait in-line and return the towel before 8:00 PM or you will be charged $15.00 per towel. If you stay out past 8:00 PM BEWARE...you will have to take your wet, sandy towel back to your room with you and return it in the morning....RIDICULOUS!!!
The pools were very cloudy.
The service at one of the restaurnats "BEEF O'BRADY's was terrible and get this...they were havinf their convention at the resort while we were there!
The BEACH was fabulous but I suppose I should thank "Mother Nature for that!

Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 18 June 2009

We returned from a getaway just a few days ago and I will say that some of these reviews are insane! If you are expecting a luxury resort where you are waited on by your personal conceierge, take a pass. But if you are looking for a nice vacation spot for the family, you can't beat this!

Location & Beach - You really can't beat St. Pete Beach. There is so much to do around the area and the beach itself is top notch. It seems that you can walk in either direction for as long as you'd like and the beach is wide, too. Oh, and the 85 degree water is pretty nice as well! :)

Staff & Service - We found all the staff people we encountered to be very friendly and helpful. If you are the goober who brings your own food to the beach and then expects the server to go get you a cup of water when it's hot, forget about it. The waitresses/bartenders were great, the housekeeping staff was courteous, and everyone else we encountered was helpful.

Amenities - I really don't think you need much more than the beach. But if salt water and sand aren't your thing, there are 4 pools, a paddleboat river, wallhooky (gotta play it!), tennis courts, a fitness facility...and other stuff I'm sure. But you don't need any of this, just get a cabana on the beach and chill. Also, don't miss the FREE Wifi.

The rooms - It's not a five-star place, but it's been updated.

Food & Drink - I was impressed with the variety at the restaurants. The beach bar was pretty good for lunch and we really liked the "Applebees-ish" Beef O'Bradys. My only complaint is that the drink menu was the same at EVERY place we went. That was kinda lame.

Other stuff to do - We caught a Ray's game at Tropicana Field...indoor baseball is different, but it was a cool experience. We also received free tickets to the Clearwater Aquarium and a sunset cruise. Take a pass on the Aquarium...the drive is too far for what you get. The sunset cruise was great, though. Even if you don't get free tickets, it's worth the money. (www.dolphinlandings.com)

A few drawbacks - First, this is a conference site. That being said, they shut down the beach and the lobby a few times for one of the groups. Pretty lame. But at least there fireworks on the beach one night for the conference. Anyway, be aware. Second, we asked for a crib to be in our room on arrival and it wasn't. We arrived near midnight and had to hold our sleeping toddler for nearly 30 minutes while we waited for a crib to be delivered. That was a bummer. Third, late at night parking is limited. You may not find a spot, but valet is always an option. Fourth, the water slide was in the way a bit. We may not have minded, but our little guy was too little to enjoy it, so the slide seemed to be a bit much!

Overall - Well worth a stay. Good sized resort, adequate amenities and a great beach. If you are traveling without kids, I'd look elsewhere! Have a blast and "just let go."

PS - Skip the Sandpiper...

2 Thank ryanschreck
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I was very concerned about Tradewinds after reading a slew of negative reviews right before we were to leave for our trip. Most of the reviews I had previously read were a mixture leaving me to believe this was probably a good choice for St Pete Beach but maybe not a great choice. First of all, SP Beach is a very nice beach with a big wide beach and nice white sand. The beach is pretty much the same for all the hotels along the beach but the Don Ceasar and the Tradewinds appear to be the top dogs on this strip or at least they were in their day. And that leads to my overall impression of this area.

Every hotel we saw on SP Beach appeared to be built 30-40 years ago and there is nothing new or luxurious in this area. I did not go in the Don Ceasar despite walking by it every day on the beach so I can't comment on their rooms but the pool area didn't appear to be anything exceptional. One thing nice about the Tradewinds was that it had 3 pools and one was exclusively for adults - which we were glad to find. This hotel appears to be geared best towards families with young kids where accommodations are not overly important. Our ocean view "suite" was dated, small and the "balcony" was a joke as it was pretty much just a railing outside of our sliding door - totally unusable as a balcony.

Our maid service usually didn't get done until late in the day which was annoying because we would be out all day and then come in to get ready to go out to dinner and the maid was just starting to clean the room. It was crowed with the 5 of us in there but "really" crowded with 5+1.

The Tradewinds has some nice things going for it but it doesn't feel luxurious and the term "Grand" more appropriately relates to it being big more than majestic. We ate at a couple of the restaurants and food was decent. Overall we managed to have a nice time at TW but I would say it was more due to the great weather and the beach than the hotel itself. If we'd had to spend much time in our room, it would have definitely been less appealing.

We got their one week package special which supposedly included some things you normally pay for and a 20% discount card at any of the restaurants. All things considered I can't say if felt like this was a bargain or even a good deal but if you're wanting to stay in SP Beach, you may not be able to do much better.

If I had friends with young kids and they wanted to stay in St Pete Beach I'd tell them to consider this hotel otherwise I personally have higher standards than what you'll find at Tradewinds.

Where the CG sends us...
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My husband and I (fiance at the time) chose Tradewinds for our wedding because we had a large range of ages coming and we felt Tradewinds offered the most things to do for all age groups. We were right! Everyone had such a wonderful time! The service was exceptional, the food delicious, and there were many things to do.
If you are considering Tradewinds for a wedding, I highly recommend it! They do a lot of weddings and definitely know what they're doing. I can honestly say that the food was awesome too! That in itself is surprising considering most wedding food is (at the least) forgettable.
From it's picturesque setting to the variety of activities, this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed May 2009
cape coral florida
Reviewed 13 June 2009

From checking in to checking out the tradwinds st beach beach was great I would highly recomened this resort to my friends and family, and will also return in the future. Maria Fleming at the front desk was especially helpful. I had a broken foot and she placed us in a ground floor next to the pool and beach. She was also extremely helpful at checkout. hands out for Maria

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#25 of 96 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!