“Tradewinds - a false sense of”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Tradewinds - a false sense of”
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We booked a two-bedroom suite at the Tradewinds for a seven-night stay from July 2nd – July 9th. Let me give you a little background on my experience with Tradewinds – from ages 12 to 15 my family stayed here every spring break and I have some great memories of our vacations here. I’m 28 now, so I was very excited to finally take my family (husband and two small daughters 6- and 2-years-old). The experience during our stay at Tradewinds was less than favorable and I am sorry to say I wish I would not have returned so it would have remained a fond memory instead of somewhere I would not return. The first disappointment was that our two-bedroom suite was NOT a two-bedroom suite, it was two adjoining rooms - and you can only enter through one of the bedrooms so there is absolutely NO privacy. The 2nd bedroom had to traipse through our bedroom to leave the room or go to the kitchen. We were sharing the “suite” with my mother and father-in-law and we were extremely cramped. They would have to wait in their bedroom for us to finish changing, etc before they could leave the room or go to the kitchen. The room was filthy, I mean thick dust everywhere and the carpet was grody. The “two-bedroom suite” is not conducive to accommodating the 8 people it supposedly sleeps. There was not even an ample space for us to sit down in the “living room” together and the “couch” was basically a futon (oh, and ours was ripped). It is definitely obvious they do not want you spending time in the room, they want you out spending money and not enjoying what you already paid $360 a night for. The table seats four people, so you can’t even have a meal together in the room. And don’t get me started on the beds, they were extremely uncomfortable and they don’t even use a fitted sheet, they throw a flat sheet on the mattress and don’t even tuck it in!

The common areas absolutely reek of mildew, I mean hold your nose stench. It rained the first couple days we were there so I tried to ignore it, but as it got hotter and dried out the rank smell got worse. They need some major renovations and cleaning. I’d hate to see what’s living under their carpets. There was a wedding while we were there and the bride probably was blind-sided to her surrounding, but I felt bad for her – I would not have wanted my wedding there. She was lucky it wasn’t raining b/c the inside area where the set-up for various event smelled like a dumpster.

The service was absolutely horrendous. The entire staff seemed to be compromised of 16- and 17-year-olds on summer break. And that would be fine if they were doing their jobs, but from what I saw they were more interested in flirting with each other and their cell phones than doing their jobs. I mean they did not seem to have any training in regard to hospitality, they would not even say hello or make eye contact….not just the young ones, but the majority of the staff.

One good thing they did (since I was literally in tears and we were discussing leaving), was they moved us to a gulf-view room (and stressed they would not charge us more….good thing, b/c they were already ripping us off) for the 2nd half of our stay. But when we got to it, it was the same room set-up with no privacy (you could exit from 2nd bedroom, but you could not get back in). And you can’t even enjoy the gulf view b/c the balcony is only about 2 feet deep. And if you want to sit in one of the cracked plastic chairs you have to turn it sideways, but hurry and get out there b/c as soon as the door opens the A/C kicks off! In this new room we had A/C problems, but they did not seem the care. The first time the A/C would not stop running and our room was freezing, so the maintenance guy came and did something and then it wouldn’t run at all (he said it was b/c our patio door was open, but it wasn’t). My husband ended up fixing it.

I thought the web site was rather vague and wished it had more pictures, but now I realize why – they want you to assume what it will be like so you feel like it’s your fault when the rooms are terrible. We assumed b/c of the rate and the “suite” name of the room it would be very nice, but we were literally told that those were not their nicest room, the penthouses were (ummm, duh but there should be something in between your regular rooms and the penthouse).

High tide slide – I understand charging non-guests to use it, but $30 a day for guests! We were there for 8 days so I was supposed to spend $240 for slide rides? That is ludacris! My daughter and I each got a day pass, but I wish we could’ve used it throughout the week at our leisure rather than saving it all for one day for price sake. One of the employees said the slide cost $100,000 that’s why they have to charge…why would you tell guests this info? I don’t care if it cost you a million bucks…I’m already paying you! One more note about the slide, someone peed on it on the day we used it and the smell would not go away so our day pass was cut short because we didn’t want to slide around in someone else’s pee. The staff knew about this and shut down the slide for 30 minutes while they cleaned it. Again, our loss – and no recourse for the cut-short day pass.

Carrie the braid lady – overpriced but we were going to do it…except she said my daughter had lice. This sent me into a panic and I took her to a salon down by Publix (b/c the on-site salon would not let her come in when I told them the situation!) and they said it was not lice, it was sand! Seriously?!?

Flying Bridge – do not bother. They can make a good smoothie, but the food is absolutely disgusting. We went there once got some nachos and a crab cake and the nachos were soggy and the crab cake was all cornbread.

Another good thing is that they had fireworks on the 3rd and the 4th, and they were great...but I think you would be much better off watching them from another hotel.

The bottom line is for that price I had very high expectations and Tradewinds did not deliver. We stay at really nice places (the Greenbrier, Dreams resorts, Beaches resorts) and have no problem doing so if the service and facility matches warrants such a fee. But the Tradewinds has no business implying that they can reach such a standard.

2 Thank KristenRojo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
Largo, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Fantastic night and day!! Definately stay again. Thank you :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We took our granddaughter here to visit family. Believe me when I say I am very picky about staff friendliness and room cleanliness. This place exceeded all my expectations in both catagories and more. My only regret is that all time wasn't beach time because we had to spend some of it with my husband's wonderful family. Next time we will spend a couple of days here, then call them:)

st.louis mo
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My husband and I was so ready for a good 2 week rest and all we got was hussel and bussel this is a very busy place alot of weddings and groups for meetings not really for the tired and want to relax groupShould have been a red flag when I called to book and the guy that answered the phone was eating pop corn and he told me so he said he was hungry, I actually talked to him for about 7 minutes hung up and called back later in the week at a differnt time to get a more knowledgable and reliable person to talk too.every little thing in the stay dollared you to death. we since started booking at Sirata next door as they are sooo friendly and everytime I got up during the night I would look out and they were either cleaning are just surveying the property I feel much safer there than at the Trade Winds Island Grand not to mention the same amount of days and nights there was a $800.00 diffrence in price. Good luck to all of you there we felt like we was in a money pit instead of a vacation!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pjh036
Strafford, MO
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We arrived July 14th for a mini vacation at Tradewinds and we're suppost to stay through July 20th. However so many things were wrong it made us nauseated so we left early. First of all upon check-in we had no problems. Service at the lobby was great. No problems there. When we got to our room it was one thing after the other that was wrong. The toilet kept running all night long the first night. The next morning before I could mention the toilet to the front desk I noticed the shower head was spraying in every which direction and the bathtub had a 1 inch give in the bottom. Good thing I don't have vertigo I'd have been on the floor. The activities were ok. The middle pool was wayyyyyy over crowded. They really need another pool! As far as overall stay. Too much for what you get for sure. The rooms are older and overpriced! If I go back I'm not staying here I'm going to Don Cesar instead. Also we checked out two days early due to all the problems we had. It wasn't worth it. We ended up going to Orlando and spending the rest of our vacation there.

1 Thank Melicakes1
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 21 July 2010

From the moment we drove up, we were greated by very friendly staff who went out of their way to help us get the most out of our time. We were kept informed of activities and what to see. The housekeeper went out of her way to make my 5 year old grandson happy. He is a busy, not afraid of anything kid, and as we were leaving he ran ahead to the elevator, but didn't know how to keep the door open and as we turned the corner, he was going down and we were on the 6th floor waiting for the other elevator. when we got to the bottom he has no where in sight. His mom waited on the main floor while I went back to our floor and as I turned the corner, this lovely, caring woman had shown him we were not in the room and waited by the room for us to return. I am very happy with everything--but the chilly weather:)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We love the Tradewinds and have stayed many times. This trip was the first time we utilized the pet friendly rooms. The dog walk area is fabulous. Very clean and well kept. It was great to be able to let the dogs off leash.
I did feel however, that the pet friendly rooms are not the same upscale quality as the other rooms we have had in the past. The rooms are in great need of repair and updating. The bath area is old and leaky. The door to our room didn't fit or close correctly. The furniture was broken down and in poor condition. They advertise having a pet closet with towels, bowls, shampoo, etc. This closet was completely empty our entire weeks visit and we were unable to get towels for our dogs even when we requested them twice from the front desk and housekeeping.
All in all it was a great visit. The beach is beautiful and the plenty of activities for the entire family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!