“Fantastic resort with all the amenities you could wish for!”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We had a wonderful trip to the Tradewinds Resort. The resort had everything we could ask for - activities for the kids, great beach, nice pools, restaurants, and entertainment! The kids loved the giant water slide and all of the pools. I loved the beach cabana that was included in our small resort fee. We did have an issue with our room's A/C, but the resort was quick to repair it, and then quick to make us a satisfied customer by discounting our room when it broke again. Other than the A/C issue and no vent in the bathroom, we were very comfortable in our hotel room. We really didn't spend much time in our room anyways. I would recommend this resort to anyone, and we will visit again next summer!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,610)

Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed in this hotel at the end of June. Our room was on the first floor with windows completely covered by a very tall, not trimmed bushes. We had the feeling that we are in a dark basement. The rate of this Parlor room was $145 per night, plus they charge additional $25 resort fee. When we asked the front desk to change the room, they wanted additional $100 per night, so we stayed put. We were lucky with the weather, because we stayed outside for the most of the day.
The rooms are very small and uncomfortable, window a/c units are very noisy for to be able to get good night sleep. No extra pillows in the closet and not a single mirror in the room to do make up. The bathroom does not have a vent and the humidity after shower has no escape. Room has the musty smell.
I am not a complainer, but I expected more from a four star hotel in USA.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Rose1040
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2010

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction, it is my responsibility to ensure complete guest satisfaction. The above guest and I corresponded several times regarding her concerns, each of which was properly explained in detail to at least ensure an understanding of the circumstances. Following is a summary of the explanation.
The guest main concern was the fact that the room wasn’t as large as the room she had last year. That was because the previous year, she was given a free upgrade based on availability to fill gaps, which allowed for a more efficient selling of guest rooms. The actual reservation this year that she made was for a standard parlor, which was the room type she received. When she went to the front desk to see about changing rooms, there was availability of a larger room for the additional charge, but the guest declined. Regarding the missing extra pillow and make up mirror, they are standard items and have since been replaced.

Director of Guest Satisfaction
Doug Rogers

Reviewed 29 July 2010

What a fantastic hotel. We couldn't have asked for a better location. Right on the Gulf of Mexico. We upgraded our room to a Gulf view, which was well worth the money. Would definately recommend this. The hotel was spotless, as were the grounds. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly, with excellent facilities. You couldn't have asked for more. Our son loved it so much he wanted to move into the hotel. Looking forward to going back very soon.

Michelle, Colin and Matthew

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 186338Michelle
Reviewed 28 July 2010

just for the weekend my parents decided to take my brother and i to this tradewinds resort. I knew about this place by the internet, but looking at the website i would say it looked like a wonderful place to stay. When we got there there was great service but as soon as we got to the room we noticed about 2 moths flying around, thinking it was nothing we left it. when we got back from our activities we found about 5 more moths we complained about it, they gave us a new room and said there would be a bellman there shortly. After 20 min. we left and moved by ourselves. As a kid i didnt find it acceptable. But the beaches were nice, the activities were great and the resturarants around were amazing. thanks for reading :)

1  Thank gogatorstori
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

As Director of Guest Satisfaction, it is my responsibility to ensure complete guest satisfaction and make every effort to obtain that goal. Having attempted to contact you without any returned correspondence, I just wanted to add a statement regarding your experience while here. First, I would like to thank you for the praise of the activities, restaurants and beach. They are a very valuable part of the experience here where we encourage you to “Just Let Go”! However, I do apologize for the absence in service as related to the bellman. Regarding the moths, that was definitely an isolated incident. Even as we spoke at your departure, they were influenced by the full moon and are attracted to other lights at this period of time. A balcony door or window not being properly closed gives them a chance to get in. I’m glad that we had the availability to actually upgrade you to a larger gulf front room and adjust the room rate accordingly.

Doug Rogers
Director of Guest Satisfaction

Reviewed 27 July 2010

We booked a two-bedroom suite at the Tradewinds for a seven-night stay from July 2nd – July 9th. Let me give you a little background on my experience with Tradewinds – from ages 12 to 15 my family stayed here every spring break and I have some great memories of our vacations here. I’m 28 now, so I was very excited to finally take my family (husband and two small daughters 6- and 2-years-old). The experience during our stay at Tradewinds was less than favorable and I am sorry to say I wish I would not have returned so it would have remained a fond memory instead of somewhere I would not return. The first disappointment was that our two-bedroom suite was NOT a two-bedroom suite, it was two adjoining rooms - and you can only enter through one of the bedrooms so there is absolutely NO privacy. The 2nd bedroom had to traipse through our bedroom to leave the room or go to the kitchen. We were sharing the “suite” with my mother and father-in-law and we were extremely cramped. They would have to wait in their bedroom for us to finish changing, etc before they could leave the room or go to the kitchen. The room was filthy, I mean thick dust everywhere and the carpet was grody. The “two-bedroom suite” is not conducive to accommodating the 8 people it supposedly sleeps. There was not even an ample space for us to sit down in the “living room” together and the “couch” was basically a futon (oh, and ours was ripped). It is definitely obvious they do not want you spending time in the room, they want you out spending money and not enjoying what you already paid $360 a night for. The table seats four people, so you can’t even have a meal together in the room. And don’t get me started on the beds, they were extremely uncomfortable and they don’t even use a fitted sheet, they throw a flat sheet on the mattress and don’t even tuck it in!

The common areas absolutely reek of mildew, I mean hold your nose stench. It rained the first couple days we were there so I tried to ignore it, but as it got hotter and dried out the rank smell got worse. They need some major renovations and cleaning. I’d hate to see what’s living under their carpets. There was a wedding while we were there and the bride probably was blind-sided to her surrounding, but I felt bad for her – I would not have wanted my wedding there. She was lucky it wasn’t raining b/c the inside area where the set-up for various event smelled like a dumpster.

The service was absolutely horrendous. The entire staff seemed to be compromised of 16- and 17-year-olds on summer break. And that would be fine if they were doing their jobs, but from what I saw they were more interested in flirting with each other and their cell phones than doing their jobs. I mean they did not seem to have any training in regard to hospitality, they would not even say hello or make eye contact….not just the young ones, but the majority of the staff.

One good thing they did (since I was literally in tears and we were discussing leaving), was they moved us to a gulf-view room (and stressed they would not charge us more….good thing, b/c they were already ripping us off) for the 2nd half of our stay. But when we got to it, it was the same room set-up with no privacy (you could exit from 2nd bedroom, but you could not get back in). And you can’t even enjoy the gulf view b/c the balcony is only about 2 feet deep. And if you want to sit in one of the cracked plastic chairs you have to turn it sideways, but hurry and get out there b/c as soon as the door opens the A/C kicks off! In this new room we had A/C problems, but they did not seem the care. The first time the A/C would not stop running and our room was freezing, so the maintenance guy came and did something and then it wouldn’t run at all (he said it was b/c our patio door was open, but it wasn’t). My husband ended up fixing it.

I thought the web site was rather vague and wished it had more pictures, but now I realize why – they want you to assume what it will be like so you feel like it’s your fault when the rooms are terrible. We assumed b/c of the rate and the “suite” name of the room it would be very nice, but we were literally told that those were not their nicest room, the penthouses were (ummm, duh but there should be something in between your regular rooms and the penthouse).

High tide slide – I understand charging non-guests to use it, but $30 a day for guests! We were there for 8 days so I was supposed to spend $240 for slide rides? That is ludacris! My daughter and I each got a day pass, but I wish we could’ve used it throughout the week at our leisure rather than saving it all for one day for price sake. One of the employees said the slide cost $100,000 that’s why they have to charge…why would you tell guests this info? I don’t care if it cost you a million bucks…I’m already paying you! One more note about the slide, someone peed on it on the day we used it and the smell would not go away so our day pass was cut short because we didn’t want to slide around in someone else’s pee. The staff knew about this and shut down the slide for 30 minutes while they cleaned it. Again, our loss – and no recourse for the cut-short day pass.

Carrie the braid lady – overpriced but we were going to do it…except she said my daughter had lice. This sent me into a panic and I took her to a salon down by Publix (b/c the on-site salon would not let her come in when I told them the situation!) and they said it was not lice, it was sand! Seriously?!?

Flying Bridge – do not bother. They can make a good smoothie, but the food is absolutely disgusting. We went there once got some nachos and a crab cake and the nachos were soggy and the crab cake was all cornbread.

Another good thing is that they had fireworks on the 3rd and the 4th, and they were great...but I think you would be much better off watching them from another hotel.

The bottom line is for that price I had very high expectations and Tradewinds did not deliver. We stay at really nice places (the Greenbrier, Dreams resorts, Beaches resorts) and have no problem doing so if the service and facility matches warrants such a fee. But the Tradewinds has no business implying that they can reach such a standard.

2  Thank KristenRojo
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Fantastic night and day!! Definately stay again. Thank you :)

Reviewed 24 July 2010

We took our granddaughter here to visit family. Believe me when I say I am very picky about staff friendliness and room cleanliness. This place exceeded all my expectations in both catagories and more. My only regret is that all time wasn't beach time because we had to spend some of it with my husband's wonderful family. Next time we will spend a couple of days here, then call them:)