“Once again it met our expectations”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
stillhere
“Once again it met our expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

We have been coming to TW Island Grand for a few years. It is usually our "cheap getaway". They offer rates in all price ranges from inexpensive standard hotel rooms to newly refurbished 2 bedroom suites - you are free to chose. This stay we tried one of the newly done suites and were very happy. We had a separate living room with a flat screen TV and both bedrooms did as well. They have toned down their color scheme, updated the bathrooms and now have wonderful linens and larger bath towels. Tradewinds is super at recognizing return guests with extra perks - we chose the ammenity we wanted waiting in our room upon arrival (cold beer, nuts, popcorn and a cute cooler) we received 20% off all food and beverage (including all alcohol) purchased on site, and my personal favorite - reserved pool chairs and beach cabana for your entire stay. This is such a nice touch - your choose the chairs you would like for your entire stay and they yours regardless of what time of day you get to the pool. Their staff is well trained at making the guest happy and comfortable - we have had waiters remember us from previous trips, something that is not typical in the hotel industry. While some may not find Tradewinds "top notch" we feel it is typical kitchy Florida. A comfortable, reasonable and fun place to go with kids young or old. Make sure to check out Redbeard's at night too - like an old cabaret with different entertainment 6 nights a week.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

After staying at the Tradewinds for the last 7 years we have yet to be disapointed and this trip was no exception. From the Bell Service to Check-In to Housekeeping to Security everyone was pleasant and accomidating. The resort is great for families with children of all ages. Room rates are reasonable for the area and the resort have many ammenities. Room was clean and ready when we arrived. Will certainly return.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

We vacationed in the St. Pete Beach area in June, 2010. We have stayed at the Trade Winds resort for over 10 years while vacationing there. You absolutely know you are going to treated special and all your needs met with a smile in a courteous manner from their exceptional staff. The hotel part of our vacation is never an issue. Never!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

After reading some of the reviews, I had my husband call to verify that we were in a renovated section of the resort. It is a good thing he called, as our reservation was NOT what we had thought we had reserved. We ended up having to cut our trip by one night in order to have the 3 rooms we had requested. The hotel was very apologetic, and waived our resort ameneties fee, and gave us a discount for resteraunts. We arrived at 4 for check in, but our rooms were not ready until 5:20. With 3 small boys, and after a long trip, this was not appreciated. They managed to pull out their suits, and my husband took them to the beach while I waited. The hotel did manage to get us into the connecting room while I waited, though, which I did appreciate. While I was waiting at the room, MANATEES swam up to my family on the beach! It was a highlight that they will always remember - I am crushed that I missed it!
The rooms were very nice. We had a 2 bedroom suite, with a 3rd adjoining bedroom for my parents. Housekeeping was very nice, although one of the days, our rooms were not made up until 5:00 - 3 hours before it was time to put the kids to bed, and literally right as we came in from the beach to to get ready for dinner! The balcony's are nice to have, but REALLY small. One person can have coffee at a time, and thats about it. We did have a mystery while there. My father had his bathing suit drying on a chair on the balcony, and it disappeared - it was red with black flowers on it, size large. We bought him a new suit at the gift shop; puzzled as to what happened. The next day, a BLACK swimsuit with white flowers, size medium, showed up on the blacony! My only guess is that kids were climbing over the adjoining balconies at night, playing little tricks. Nothing was taken from our rooms, but we left our balcony unlocked several times, and things could have been taken.

The layout of the place is very long, so it took 2 of the 3 days we were there to figure out how to get where we wanted to go without winding all over the paths and getting turned around. My kids did the Bio-camp, and LOVED it! I loved it, as well, as I had 4 blissful scream-free hours! The pools are fine, but SMALL! I wish they could connect a couple of pools together into a larger one, as they were so crowded. The beach is lovely, but the wait for cabanas is a pain in the morning. Having cabanas is GREAT though, SUPER! The paddle boats were fun, my kids enjoyed them immensly. The slide... at first I was bitter at having to pay 90$ for 3 kids to slide for ONE day. BUT! In hindsight - the line was never really long, and I am sure that the cost played a role in that. My kids were able to slide again and again, and I was able to lay in a prone position for several hours IN A ROW while my kids wore themselves out laughing and sliding. It was worth it!
We only ate at the BAHAMAS resteraunt. They had a kids eat free deal during the week, and they had a casual, but upscale ambiance. I wasn't horrified that I brought my kids and that they were loud, but I was also able to have a meal that wasn't deep fried or a burger. The Grouper was DELICIOUS! The wait staff was very friendly.

All in all - I would go back again. We paid well over 600$ a night for the 3 bedrooms, but for the most part I would say it was worth it. I don't think there is a better resort for families on St. Petes. If there is, I would love to hear about it, as my husband has a conference in Tampa yearly for the next 5 years, and we plan on returning. The place is enormous, and crowded; almost like a theme park. I wish security was better, as I felt any stranger could walk in, steal a child, and walk off into the crowd without a problem. Especially with all the people coming and going with conferences. I had to watch the kids like a maniac every minute, and with 3 of them sprinting in all directions, that got exhausting.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

I have been staying at this hotel for many years. This will be my last visit. They are not keeping the complex up with the times. The facility was run down, the plumbing had to be turned off in the building while I was there, and my room was dirty. The parking lot was full when I arrived, too, and I had to carry my own luggage about a quarter mile in the rain. Above and beyond the room fee, they also charged me a $25.00 "resort fee." I asked what it bought me and they said "access to the hotel amenities." In years past I paid more per night and was usually very happy. This place used to be a great option. No longer.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
As Director of Guest Satisfaction, it is my responsibility to ensure complete guest satisfaction, and to do everything possible to regain your trust. After repeated attempts to discuss this review without any correspondence, I would like the opportunity to clarify a few things. First, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. However, you stated that you have stayed with us for several years, which leads me to believe you know what standards we have set at Tradewinds Resorts. We just completed this past March, phase one of renovations in the Jacaranda building, completing the gulf front rooms. Phase two is currently scheduled to begin the last week of August base on occupancy. The Breckenridge building in which you stayed this past time was scheduled for upgrading of the shower water diverter valves, which was scheduled from midnight to 4:00am on August 5th. We felt that turning off the water at this time of night would create the least amount of disturbance to our guest. The parking lot was full due to very high occupancy, which also resulted in a delay with the bellman to assist with you luggage when you checked in at 9:30pm late that evening. Please accept my apology for you having to carry your own luggage from our main lobby to the Breckenridge building, which coincidently isn’t a quarter of a mile away. The resort fee has been in place for years, and covers many amenities from the beach cabanas, to wireless and even overnight parking. However, had you inquired at departure, based on actual usage while here, we would have been happy to adjust it.

O. Douglas Rogers III
727-490-5683
drogers@twresort.com
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

Nice resort. Better than expected. Well worth the price. Only 2 significant negatives. I specifically asked if our 3 bedroom suite was set up so no one exiting any bedroom had to pass through another bedroom to get to the living area. I was told it was. I asked if a floor plan was available to confirm this,and I was told no. We had 3 adult couples and this privacy issue was important. Upon arrival our suite required those exiting one of the bedrooms to pass through one bedroom to get to the living area. I was told that all of the suites were this way. Very upsetting! Also, the service was very slow at the Bermuda restaurant (seemed understaffed) and the AC could not cool down the restaurant as it became more crowded. Otherwise we had agreat time.and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Haines City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

The Tradewinds Island Grand is a fabulous place to go to escape and relax! We have made several visits and always enjoy the resort from the beach cabana's to the entertainment and activities. It is an affordable spot to vacation and is top of the line all the way. The staff is friendly and always willing to go above and beyond to see that your needs are met and your stay is relaxing and enjoyable! We always leave looking forward to our next visit! The Paradise Club is an added bonus where you can earn free gifts and be sure to visit Red Beard's Tavern at night for the entertainment. The breakfast bar at Bermuda's is a must! Also recommend going on a holiday and seeing the fireworks, some of the best we have ever seen!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#22 of 95 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!