“The staff was welcoming”

Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway
Ranked #12 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Pembroke Pines, FL
“The staff was welcoming”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I'd say our experience was to the credit of Vickie, who greeted us effusively and gave us water and snacks. The food service area had fruit and cookies out. Besides that, the room was very much like the Sleep Inn we often stay at in Gainesville, with possibly a little bit upgraded bedding and coffee.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place your review! Vicky does a wonderful job for us here at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast Gateway! I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary Otis Spunkmeyer Cookies during Check In!!! These are not a requirement but our guests love them and so we provide them. I am glad you enjoyed our upgraded bedding and it sounds like you have found an incredible Sleep Inn to stay at in Gainesville. I hope that you also choose our hotel to exclusively stay at while in the Tampa Bay Area. Our Comfort Inn & Suites is #2 in the State, #86 in the Nation and were going for #1. Thank you for being our guest and we hope to see you back soon.

Jeremy Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fremont, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I've shied away from Comfort Inns in the past in the Western U.S.; reviews have often not been very good. Selected this hotel because of many positive reviews in Yelp, even though it wasn't ideally situated for us.

We arrived late in the evening and was given a room that reeked of smoke, a smell we both hate. We both noticed it immediately, even before stepping inside the room.

The night attendant, who had replaced the friendly woman before, did not immediately give us the other room, which I knew was available (I was given a choice previously). She kept us waiting with two sleeping children. When she returned, she said that she didn't notice any smell, indicating that she had a condition and was sensitive too. She did gave us the other room we requested but didn't sound very or sincerely apologetic.

We were tired, having just driven in from Orlando and having just spent a full week in theme and water parks in Orlando. Our plan was to sleep in the next morning and catch up a little on sleep, so the delays weren't welcome.

Unfortunately, I guess this happened to be our unlucky night. The fire alarm went off at 5:45 am. We had to leave the premises. We can only conjecture that insufficient maintenance caused something to fail in their kitchen (we've forgotten the exact reason).

There were also a few minor complaints (from my wife), which I'll leave off this review.

After sharing our experience with the Manager, I appreciate that the General Manager came out and listened, then asked us what they could do to make it up to us. My wife simply asked for reward points to be applied and was denied because we didn't book our rooms directly with the hotel.

I didn't pursue restitution at the time because I know alarms could go off (by accident), and I didn't know what effect this would have on us. However, in retrospect, I regret not asking for at least partial credit for our bad experience, not knowing at the time that he couldn't even grant my wife points, quite a modest request.

Unfortunately, we ended up tired later in the day, and our kids continued to be tired into the next day (we only had about 4.75 hours of sleep; our kids, who needed 9, got 5.5).

Fortunately, our next several hotels were Marriott properties.

If neither of these incidences had occurred, I would have said that this hotel is a good value. Unfortunately, getting a good night's sleep is an important part of the equation, and we can't say that we did.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank wanderlustdh
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Mr. Wanderlust -

I truly appreciate you and your family staying at our hotel and I hope you consider us again in the future. I remember specifically speaking to you and your wife before you journeyed out and how it was unfortunate that the fire alarm went off during your stay. As a reminder, the alarm sounded because a line burst in our boiler room and luckily we were able to get this unexpected situation resolved safely. Moreover, I know it is a burden to change rooms (bc of smoke smell) but I am glad we had another room available. Furthermore, we were unable to add your points that you would have accumulated for your stay due to the fact that you booked through a 3rd party site. It is always best to book direct as you will get the lowest price, the best cancellation and all the rewards points possible. Again I am terribly sorry for the inconveniences you incurred and I hope your next stay is more enjoyable.

Franklin ma
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and i spent 3 nights here. We basically booked it because of location and price. We were very surprised by the excellent service. The night we arrived our room was very warm tried to adjust ourselves. We spoke to the person at the desk as we went out for the evening she told us she would go down and check. When we got back the room was a comfortable temperature and it was obvious someone had come in to fix. The next day we spoke to a maintenance man and thanked him for his assistance he was professional and told us he was doing his job and thanked us for staying. Wonderful experience we will be back!!

• Stayed July 2014
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for staying at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast Gateway and for leaving a snippet of your experience here on TripAdvisor! I am glad you enjoyed your visit and we were able to get everything to your liking. We look forward to having you back at our hotel soon!

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is one of the best in its category in St, Petersburg area. Clean and well conserved, the staff is very gentle and friendly. The location is very quiet, far from highways and busy avenues. The breakfast is excellent. All the facilities are in mint condition. I certainly would come back and I absolutely recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank edgardovn
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you so much for being our guest and for taking the time to place such a wonderful review! We hope that on your next trip you will be able to stay for more than one night :)

Kfar-Sava, IL
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a nice hotel with spacious clean rooms.
The staff was very helpful and polite. We had a very extensive explanation of dining options in the area and places to see.

The pool is nice but a little small.
Breakfast was OK - not as great as promised, but nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hello!

I am glad we were able to provide top notch service as well as clean and spacious accommodations. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Thanks for your review!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for 7 days while house hunting from Brooklyn, NY. Greatful hotel was exactly as advertised because husband is hard to please. Facilty was convenient to all attractions and full breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed July 2014
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
I am glad we were able to please your husband as well as meet your expectations during your recent stay at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast Gateway! I love the location of our hotel as well and the city of St.Pete defines our area as "Where you want to be in 15 minutes or less!" Thank you for your review and we look forward to you and your husbands return.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Was discriminated upon for having a service animal, nancy needed to know all about my disability in a open lobby I will never frequent a choice hotel nor will my fiancee whom happens to be a supervisor for homeland security, he was appalled at our treatment. He happens to be an amputee and never says anything negative about anything. Good support for vets you have there!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Kara W
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hi Kara -

I apologize you felt that way. As we have discussed over the phone it was by no means our intent to offend you but it is policy to ask what specific task your service animal is trained to do (if it is not obvious) prior to allowing entry for the pet. As you know, your pet was allowed access to our property and your husband (how be it irrelevant) was never involved with any part of the reservation process or even in our hotel. We love our Vets and appreciate everyone, especially those who have fought for our Country. My brother is a veteran and has since passed away and I am saddened that you would take such a stance. Moreover, when we spoke, you mentioned how you were upset over another hotel and that you thought our front desk agent was actually very professional and that you would remove this negative review since you felt the problem was rectified properly. Again I am sorry you feel that way and I hope your next stay is more satisfactory.