“Phenomenal!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Birchwood
Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
“Phenomenal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

BEST hotel I've ever stayed in and I consider myself a bit of a hotel snob. Impeccable style, service, cleanliness and location. I will never stay anywhere else when visiting St. Pete. In love with this hotel! Example of the service: went for a walk after breakfast to the farmers market and it started to rain. The manager met us at the front door with towels upon our return. Who does that?! Love, love, love this place!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Kimberlynn27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Dallas TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a lovely boutique hotel in downtown St Pete right by the park, the water and all the restaurants. The room was lovely, comfortable and clean. Service was outstanding throughout. Parking is done by their valet. Roof top bar was fun too. I'd recommend this nice little gem.

Room Tip: 301 was spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank dottie dog
Laurie S, Guest Relations Manager at The Birchwood, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for the kind review Dottie Dog! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you in the future.
Western Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

We decided to try this hotel on our son's recommendation when we came to visit him. We opted for a third floor front room with the small balcony. We were pleased with the room size and amenities. The bathroom was beautiful and had the beautiful soaking tub (although we didn't use it). We were greeted in a friendly manner and immediately. However, if I have one complaint, it's that we weren't given much information. We were told quickly that there was free breakfast. When we came down the next morning we saw yogurt, granola and coffee at the bar and thought, well, that will do. It was not until the last night there that someone told us there were hot options on the other side of the bar.
We checked in on Saturday and will have to agree that the front room was pretty noisy until late into the night. Between the bass of the music in the bar and the people on the street, it was hard to sleep. However, we stayed until Wednesday and the other nights were quiet.
It's a good location and has everything within walking distance including restaurants, the park, the Museum of Fine Art and many shops.
We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: If you are there during the week, the front rooms are really nice. You can't see the water, at...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank herbowitz
Laurie S, Public Relations Manager at The Birchwood, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for the kind review of The Birchwood. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and regret any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our breakfast instructions. We take guest feedback seriously and appreciate the opportunity to further improve our services.
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

While the rooftop bar is lovely and offers spectacular views of St. Petersburg and the waterfront, the service is atrocious and the drinks are incredibly overpriced. The bartenders should be working at Hooters...all they're interested in is waiting on cute guys. Ours didn't even know what Prosecco was and ignored us for 20 minutes while waiting on several young men who came up to the bar after we did. If I'm paying $10-12 for a drink, I want good service along with it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank BaguetteLady
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I came to this hotel for a night and nothing went right. I was thoroughly UNimpressed and very disappointed. Stay someplace else. For the price of this hotel it's not worth it. I wouldn't even pay $50 to stay here again. When I walked into my room the AC was broken so the room was 86 degrees. I asked someone to fix it and it took them 20 mins to come up. It took even longer for it to get fixed. Later when I tried to watch television that was broken too. I just wanted to relax in my room after a long trip but couldn't watch television at all. My bathroom switch was broken. Lighting was awful everywhere. There was no claw bathtub in my room which was also very disappointing. The staff lacked professionalism and didn't even try to put me in a different room after everything went wrong.

The only positive I'll say is that the beds are super cozy and the rooms are clean and beautiful.

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Medstud86
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is a fairly new hotel in the heart of St. Pete's. A very busy hotel with one of the best views especially from The Canopy roof top bar. Much attention was paid to the decor from the four-poster bed to the claw foot bathtub. However, the architects skimped on lighting in the rooms. No light in the shower, light over the sink makes it almost impossible to apply makeup and the built-in desk has no light whatsoever. Wi-fi included, but it wasn't working for 2 days in our room. The management was very apologetic about fixing this. The pillows were HUGE and uncomfortable. They only offered one type..huge mistake. Our stay included breakfast which was very nice.

Room Tip: A courtyard room and front of the hotel should be avoided. On busy nights people must wait to go up...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ccwriter16
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

While The Birchwood Hotel is very neat and the food is good the management is awful. For the price that I paid to stay there I have gotten the worst customer service of my life. I had billing issues that was a mistake on their end and it has been almost a month and there is still a charge on my card that should have been resolved the first day I called, but no one ever called me back. I am still dealing with this issue, that for a small boutique should have been easy to resolve. There was no remorse or any form of help from anyone and I had to call them every single day for a week and a half just to get someone to call me back (even though they said every day that someone would call me back that day). It is not like it is a dinner meal that they messed up on its an expensive room stay that is double charged and they seem to have no need or rush to try and help me and resolve this issue. I may go back for the rooftop bar but I will never stay in that hotel again and tell any and all of my friends that come in from out of town they are better off staying at the Hotels down the way because those hotels would have had something as big as this issue resolved by now. Such a waste of a cute hotel to have such poor management and lack of customer service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends