“great boutique hotel”

Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
PA
“great boutique hotel”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

we love this hotel. The staff is great and very accomodating. The rooms are a little small but very clean and hotel staff get you everthing you need. Free wi fi and great tv and reception. We will stay here again. The location is terrific for everything downtown. Everything is close. restaurants, movies, museums and the pier are all within walking distance. You dont need to drive. Parking is private, free and safe. If you want to experience old world st pete .... with all ammenities... this is the place. pool is small and private. I cant say enough good things about hotel indigo in St pete.

Room Tip: ask for a larger room. most rooms and 2 double beds and they do have a few kings. double rooms are...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank happytraveler8147

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We recently stayed at the Hotel Indigo during my daughters Women's Half Marathon in St. petersburg Florida. What a delite to stay at such a cozy hotel within the city. Extremely accommodating to all the runners in the marathon. Everything we requested was taken care of immediately. The rooms we stayed in were fabulous. And oh that ever so comfortable mattress on that king size bed. Wish we had their bed in our home. I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in St. Petersburg Florida that doesn't want to stay in one of those monster size hotels where the service is at best "middle of the road". When you book a stay at Hotel Indigo tell them Larry & Suzie Muench told you to call them. Believe me, you won't be unhappy with this hotel and their top notch staff. We'd give them 5 Stars!

Larry & Suzie Muench
Very Happy Guest!

Room Tip: Tell them exactly how many people will be staying and also visiting you while you are there.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Lawton, Oklahoma
Reviewed 14 November 2011

If you like old crap and the smell of death in your room, this is the place for you. I'm not going to even waste my time putting a bunch of negative things here because I type too slow. I will say this. If you stay at this place after reading some of the reviews, then you deserve to have a bad experience. The staff being friendly was the only thing positive I have to say. I'll leave you with this. Although I know it will never be paid, i'm sending them a bill from cleaning and air freshner products I had to buy just to breath without gagging. The young bartender dude rocks.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Carl C
South Bend, IN
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This hotel tops my list of p&*s-poor customer service. I booked two double rooms for my friends 30th birthday party in St Pete. Upon check-in I tell the woman I have 4 cars, she fails to tell me we need parking tags in our cars. All 8 of us girls got ready, took cabs down to our restaurant when we received a call from the desk clerk telling us we needed to come back and put hang tags in our cars or we'll be towed and there was nothing she could do about it. If that wasn't bad enough, they screwed up the billing BIG TIME. I had to provide a card at check in for incidentals. Since I knew there wouldn't be any I gave my card for my savings account. I knew the 'hold' would be removed before my tuition fees came due. Well the hold was never removed bc it wasn't a hold. They charged me for an extra nights stay and never informed me. I found this out a week later when my school was telling me my tuition bounced & until I pay I can't attend! On top of that the bank is charging me overdraft fees, the school is charging me penalty's and these idiots at the Indigo are messing around debating on whether they screwed up. It was downright awful. Jackie, the manager is about the most worthless excuse for a human being I have ever met in my entire life. She has no professionalism, no class and absolutely no sympathy for this extremely critical situation. I will never stay at a Holiday INN brand hotel and neither will the dozens of people I book travel for at work. We switched to Marriott hotels shortly after this.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jamiebean80
coral gables
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Very fine three-day hotel stay if you you are looking for cordial and knowledgeable staff, a comfortably sized room, an exceedingly comfortable king-size bed, clean linen and towels, free wi-fi, free parking, and centrally located - within an easy fifteen minute walking distance of all of downtown St. Petersburg, including the Dali art museum. Poor choice if your main goals for hotel enjoyment are to have fire-hose pressure shower heads, an olympic-size swimming pool, a fabulous free continental (or American) breakfast, and a state-of-the-art whisper-quiet elevator. Since all of the former, and none of the latter, are important to us, then we can only rate our experience as excellent.

(By the way, the Indigo's king-size bedrooms are about 15 foot square - not including the bath or the closet - or 225 s.f. The average US household bedroom is 150 s.f.; the average master bedroom is 200-250 s.f. You be the judge.)

This is the former 'Heritage' Hotel, built in 1926 and St. Petersburg's second oldest operating hotel, after the Pier Hotel (built in 1921). If history and its attendant quirkiness put you off then avoid this place like the plague. We found the building thoroughly enjoyable (for example, the extra 'steps' in several of the corridors do not exist at random but are rather an architectural solution for a 1926 infrastructure problem) precisely because of its unique characteristics and because it is not a cloned chain hotel specimen. This is certainly a hotel we will return to when next in St. Petersburg.

Lastly, we are socio-economically quite middle class and are probably more offended by elite snobs than by the homeless, but not having been troubled by either during our trip we can make no comment regarding the "ghetto" observation (below) other than to say that having walked to and from the hotel at all hours of the day and late night, my wife and I at no time felt any sense of danger or urgency. By the way, our toilet flushed every time we asked it to.

If you are expecting a Walt Disney World resort-style accommodation, you should probably stay at WDW. If you find particular comfort in cookie-cutter hotels with disinterested staff, generic decoration and predictable amenities, you can undoubtedly find them in this city, but not here. On the other hand, if you are expecting the best value among all the name-brand (or other) hotels within a half mile radius of downtown St. Pete, then you ought to give the Indigo a look.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Disgusted by the fact there where homeless living in the parking lot area and clothes thrown out the windows...There is a halfway house in the rear...The staff was awful! Don't let the pictures fool you, they did us. If you don't mind no water pressure and a toilet that doesn't flush then stay here, if not look around! Pool was ok... could have been cleaner. hot tub was WAY too hot. Overall cleanliness left much to be desired.

Room Tip: try a different hotel :-)
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzie888
lscragg, Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We usually get good comments with regards to our staff and the standards of our rooms.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We spent one night at this perfectly placed hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I liked the history of the building and didn't expect that it would be like a newly built establishment. I'm surprised by the comments about small rooms as our room (228) was very big. The view is not pretty but I wasn't staying in St Pete to look out my window. Room 228's location is such that you only share a wall on one side so neighbor noise is a minimized. Do bring earplugs (as I do to any hotel) to let you sleep through the occasional hallway noise. I didn't notice any noise from the floor above though I'm not sure if the hotel was fully booked. We didn't try the on site cafe or bar but plan to the next time. This place has a great location - we walked everywhere and didn't have to deal with St Pete parking issues. There seemed to be plenty of hotel parking, extra spots are tucked around the back of the hotel so they can be missed if you don't go around. The bathroom was smallish, but the shower was a nice size. I would recommend a towel bar to management as there is nowhere to hang a hand towel. There is a small pool area and a hot tub - the area appeared to be on the shady side, so it wouldn't be ideal for sunbathers. The staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. No complaints at all from us.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
lscragg, Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Thank for taking the time to write this review. It is always nice to hear that guests have enjoyed their stay at the Hotel Indigo. We hope to see you again sometime in the future!