“A nice resort style hotel. Better than my expectations.”

Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove
Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Bel Air, Maryland
“A nice resort style hotel. Better than my expectations.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I too had seen some unfavorable reviews and was not expecting a great stay. This property has a lot going for it. The staff was friendly from my first experience handling my early check in and giving me room 319 which was right on the water with great views. I was busy while I was there so I didn't have opportunity to use the pools but they looked nice and gave the whole resort feel along with the Nepa Hut in the back by the water and beach.

The room wasn't especially big but I did get my requested King with a small table and two chairs. The room was clean throughout. The bedding wasn't especially comfortable but was adequate. TV's are dated and could use a refresh.

I had dinner in the restaurant one evening and both the food and service were good. Spent an hour in the Nepa Hut the next evening and service and atmosphere were good there as well.

I would stay here again. I would rate more as a solid 3.5 that could earn a solid 4 star with some minor refreshing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank FrancoS1M
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Didn't know what to expect given the reviews but I must say I'm impressed. For the cost of a run of the mill Holiday Inn Express or Hampton in with no amenities we stayed at this resort hotel with 2 pools, beach on the bay, jet ski rentals and fully stocked 2nd floor tiki style bar overlooking Tampa Bay. Granted it's an older hotel, but with new paint job and well kept rooms I'm duly impressed. I will definitely stay here again .

Stayed April 2014
5 Thank Joeyanchovey
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed our hotel. Please come back and see us soon!
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 11 April 2014

On our spring break vacation we thought this would be a nice place for the kids. The beach was great we stayed 4 days and we had to deal with lots of bugs in our room. I can deal with a bug here and there but nothing like what we delt with. The food was good and had a great time with the location but wont return to this place. I hope they do something about this issue they have.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MARK K
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The Motel was clean and easy access, the service friendly and helpful, and the restaurant average. Rooms were quiet, but walls thin. Pools and waterfront were nice. Beds were small and not comfortable, TV had average picture, shower and bathroom were undersized. Telephone did not work. In room fridge was helpful.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank RBWood66
Thank you for your comments! We hope to have you back with us!
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed at the Magnuson last week, had a great visit, very relaxing. I thoroughly enjoyed staying in one of the waterfront rooms - endless entertainment watching the sea birds, the dolphins & I think I even saw some manatees! A blue heron was a friendly constant visitor and would hang out for hours outside my room, while the gulls and pelicans came & went regularly!

Cute beach, great pools & hot tub, lots of fun, fishing, a big waterfront park nearby in walking distance, and walking/biking trail (I didn't bike but the hotel has some carts & bikes available for rent). The restaurant on-site served great food and I hosted several friends and family at the restaurant during my stay last week. All gave a great review on the dinners at the onsite restaurant Periscopes - Fun & Great FOOD!!

For a great place to unwind and hang out without having to leave the property if you don't want - or lots to do and see in St Pete / Tampa Bay if you do want to get out - I highly recommend the Magnuson!!

Room Tip: rooms on the water offer endless entertainment via sea life! I stayed last month in a different bui...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Karen D
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
We are so happy you had a wonderful stay. Its so beautiful with the dolphins and manatees here. Not a day goes by that we don't have something interesting to see in the bay. The view is spectacular! Please come back and see us soon! The dolphins will be waiting for you!.
Albemarle, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This resort is conveniently located with easy access to St. Pete's. For bikers there are two trails right outside your door. Heated outdoor pool was wonderful. A friendly place. Make sure you go to the Farmers Market in St. Pete, well worth the visit. Make sure to eat at Skipjacks for a great breakfast and some local color.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room, it is wonderful. Restaurant meals were not great.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl1503
Thank you so much for your comments. The market place on Saturday mornings in downtown St. Petersburg is magnificent. Also Skyway Jacks is fabulous. We look forward to having you back with us soon!
Florida
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My three daughters and I stayed 03-15-2014 in room 138, booked online at around $140.00 and it was a nice and clean hotel, staff went out of their way and the stay would have been perfect.....except our room STUNK of cigarettes and the a/c, while adequate, was not filtered well enough to eliminate the odor. And the odor was disturbing to us all, even the two ex-smokers in our group. We did the Dali museum, Beach Rd restaurants, John's Pass restaurant - pass on that! and the Clearwater Aquarium-great! We were celebrating a 22nd b'day so we took the youngest members of our group to Push nightclub and it was less than 7 miles away, so the location is nice. And the beds were comfortable and the facilities nicely kept.

Room Tip: bring some air fresheners and maybe a candle to burn
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront
Hilton St Petersburg Bayfront
#10 of 42 in St. Petersburg
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove? Share your experiences!