“AVOID THE SWAMP”

Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel has rooms next to a gross swampy area of which they tried to put me in. When I requested a room in an area on the property that did not have fouls odors I was told they could upgrade me to a courtyard room at additional fees.
When I pointed out to the rude women at the front desk about the horrible odors she just said too bad and we can't control the swamp odors.
When I I had pointed out to this careless person who has no business being in hospitality, that on my printed confirmation I indeed reserved a courtyard room was when she then gave me the room which I was entitled anyways. So really what this hotel did was take money for the courtyard room but tried to put me in a lower grade room which stunk to high heaven.

The courtyard area was 100 times better with no swampy gross smells.
The water views are good, the pools were decent too and the room clean.
Hotel in a good travel location for business.

Room Tip: Book rooms in the courtyard area only!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank robi r

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Came here for a wedding nearby. Hotel was clean, and beautiful. The grounds are imaculatly kept. Very nice swimming pools Private Beach overlooking Tampa Bay.VERY inexpensive. Great staff. Definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Joe G
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are all so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! It is a very relaxing property. Please come back and visit soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

There was a group of us that stayed here for a local event. The resort is dated and definitely older. That being said, the rooms were clean, they just need updating (bed sheets/covers, carpets, decorations, bathrooms). The rooms were quiet but they did have an older smell to them. The TVs were dated as well. I would have expected a little more for the price per night. The grounds themselves were pretty nice with two pools and spread out. The staff member who "greeted" us in the restaurant was extremely rude and did not make us feel welcome. The server however more than made up for the other girl's lack of enthusiasm. The hotel is easy to find and close to the highway for easy access. The sunsets are very pretty!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2014

After staying 3 nights at the Magnuson Cove Hotel and enjoying the place, I wanted to let others know that it is a good place for the $$ to stay in St.Pete. Great location and beautiful view from the Hotel. Even with road close by, we never heard any noise. Slept well and enjoyed the Hotel. With our pet with us, this place worked out well. Great walk to take her on each morning, right from the Hotel. Though upon check-in they made it very well known that dogs were not welcome on the courtyard grounds. I personally, prefer well behaved pets to not well behaved kids, whicn there were plenty of. Charge extra for kids and not for pets....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Lots of waterfowl, pool area was nice, and most of the staff was excellent. No swimmable beach. The rooms were not the cleanest. We stayed in 245 and 251 and the AC in 251 worked much better than 245. The staff was 99.5% friendly, with the exception of one female at the front desk, named Ashley. When leaving, we asked about putting a gratuity on a credit card and even though they weren't immediately sure how to do it, the Manager on Duty (I want to say, "Tanya") went and looked it up and was back in about 2 minutes and knew how to do it. Very impressive. The maid, Luz, returned my co-traveler's wedding ring and that was VERY impressive to us. My co-traveller didn't even know it was missing. Somehow it had ended up in her bedsheets, Luz was a great housekeeper and also had some suggestions for places to eat and places to go for Cinco De Mayo, which we were excited to celebrate at Carmelita's. Overall it was nice, but not having a swimmable beach was disappointing and we had to drive about 35 miles each day to get to a beach.

Room Tip: The rooms were quiet. We stayed in 245 and 251. The pillows are awesome. The AC in 245 doesn'...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marit K
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Ive lived in St Pete for 13 years & had no idea this hotel even existed!! The hotel was beautiful,my room was spotless upon my arrival & they had already turned the air conditioner on in advance :-) My only complaint lies with the front desk & their customer service which was beyond below standards if u ask me (i work in a hotel also), with the exception of Erin. Overally i enjoyed my stay & will be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Swynn89
springmans, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you so much for your comments. We are so happy you enjoyed the Magnuson! Please come back and visit soon. We really enjoyed having you!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We came for spring break and was greeted at midnight by a helpful desk agent...Our room was comfortable with a beautiful view of the bay and we sat out each night. Room was always cleaned and most people were considerate with noise level for spring break. Too cold to swim in pool but it looked nice. Landscaping was immaculate and peaceful. Restaurant breakfast was good but service was inconsistent... Loved the two story building with beautiful view and drink specials. Only complaint was the horrible wireless internet. My husband brought his tablet to read books and check email. It was very frustrating. But we liked everything else..except no close restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the best view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank schoolmarmgwen
springmans, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

First we would like to apologize for the problems you had with the internet while you were with us. We hope you will come and see us soon!