“Met Our Needs”

Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Smithville, Ohio
“Met Our Needs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We didn't anticipate being at the hotel or in our room a lot, so this property was fine for us. It does need some serious updates, but for the money, it was clean and had nice pools bar and restaurant. The "beach" is NOT a beach. For the price and friendly service I would recommend this hotel as a home base if you have a car and plan to travel around like we did. We visited downtown St. Pete, St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island, Pass-a-Grille, Anna Maria Island and even went as far south as Siesta Key & Venice Beach.

Room Tip: Try to get a bay front on the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ammey_f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Deltona, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Although I am now retired, my job as a travel agent took me all over the world and I have stayed in many hotels. Only a few earn my "will not return" rating and this is one of them. The hotel was very outdated. At $100 plus per night, some of that money could be put into updating the rooms. The tv, which was an old tube tv, could not get a clear picture on any channel. Also, we left it on when we went out and when we returned we found the tv off. That did not sit well with me. The a/c was so loud, it sounded like a huge truck idling in the room. It would run for 3 or 4 minutes and then shut off for 3 or 4 minutes. As you got close to the curtains to look out, you could smell the dust on them. Speaking of smells, the sea weed on the beach gave off a horrendous smell. The young man who checked us in says that only happens in August when it is really hot - say what?? He also said he was putting us in the only courtyard king - yet the parking lot was never more than 1/3 full. As we checked out, I told the clerk about the a/c. She said there was someone who could have fixed it. I asked her at midnight? She said yes - I told her I did not want a repairman in the room at midnight as I was trying to go to bed.

I agree with a previous reviewer - this is a motel, not a hotel. And it is in a bad location. We missed the street and made a U-turn by the marina in the pouring rain. Fortunately, we did not take the interstate ramp. Speaking of the rain, the cover in front of the door offered little protection and drainage was so poor, I stepped out of the car into ankle deep water.

I would not recommend this motel and definitely will not return. Next time we will bite the bullet and pay more to stay on the beach. I am glad this was just a one night stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank frmrtvlagt

Travellers are raving about these St. Petersburg hotels

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Let me start by saying the staff was awesome! They were very friendly and professional. We slept amazingly in the room. We got a kids suite which had a queen bed and bunk beds for the kids behind a partition; not really a separate room. The kids got hot because the air didn't flow behind the partition wall, so we did have to really kick the air up. The room was advertised with kids tv & video games. The tv was there but no kids channels, and there was a Nintendo 64 with 1 controller. Not ideal. The Hotel also says it has a "Private Beach". What we found was a little strip of littered sand. We chose to drive to Ft Desoto Beach which was 1000% nicer. There were 2 pools but only one open. It was crowded so we passed. There is a playground on property that seemed nice. The on site restaurant offers room service which we took advantage of, and I highly recommend. The food was amazing and the service was quick and accurate. All in all, it was a nice hotel for the price. Just not as I expected from their website. While this hotel is a bit dated, I highly recommend it for a friendly comfortable place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Amanda C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel really needs updating. The rooms looked so old we thought we were stuck in the 70s-80s. We were supposed to have an ocean view out of our room but instead we were stuck looking at the Marina (a bunch of boats just docked) I wouldn't recommend this place! We definitely will not be staying here again!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tamika B
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

The room was clean but the refrigerator doesnt stay that cold, I put a bucket of ice in there to keep it cold. Also both pools were great, I loved sitting at the bar looking at the sky way bridge. The beach smelt a lil because its covered in sea weed, good for boats and jet skies but not swimming. Not even a mile around the corner theres a small beach, nice park and trails though. The restaurant in the hotel looks super fancy and nice but not expensive at all. Ribs are horrible though, we had it taken back and they said its not their 1st complaint. I did have an un opened bottle of arbor mist in the refrigerator I was planning on drinking but I forgot about it and when I was packing I realized it was no longer there. Hot tub is super small but nice and both pools are nice. I was sorta let down just because I wanted more than a pool and bar to have fun, so once I found the beach and trails and the nicer state park down the street for my son I enjoyed my stay much more.

Room Tip: We had a bay veiw upstairs, I like balconies but if you get down stairs theres a mini feild for kid...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brittany M
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We are Marriott people, but stayed here for a reception onsite. The minute we arrived we were in despair. The hotel looked nothing like the website pictures and it looked as though it should be considered a motel instead of a hotel.

The location is awful. There are no restaurants or stores near by unless you want Subway, Pizza Hut or snacks from the local cornerstore. We got lost on the freeway after venturing out to finally find a supermarket and a restaurant (mostly fast food there).

The bathroom was decent until we saw a bug in the shower and all seven of our party members decided we
needed to wear shower shoes.

Would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank TayKayTravelee
Pinellas Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have Been coming back to this place atleast once a year since we were married here over 2 years ago. We love the location and the memories. They have Pools,Tiki bar and a Resturant where we never have to leave. We recommend this place to everyone!

Room Tip: The point is right on the water and you see alot of sea life all day its really cool
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Flamingo Resort
Flamingo Resort
#29 of 42 in St. Petersburg

Been to Magnuson Hotel Marina Cove? Share your experiences!