“Don't waste your time”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I booked a basic lesson with Steve, he was quick to tell me that if I paid in full through PayPal it would guarantee the lesson, subject to weather conditions of course. So I paid $300, moved up to a hotel nearer to St Pete beach and waited. I phoned Steve to confirm i had paid, he informed me that he was out of town but that Brad would be taking the lesson and that he would phone me that evening to discuss times etc. I phoned many times over the next two days and got the same story but still no call from Brad. The day of the lesson arrived so I drove to the shop, it was closed. We went back later, the shop was open and I saw Shane who was very helpful and informed me that Steve didn't work there he just took bookings from people that came in the shop looking for lessons. Shane was very helpful and gave me the number of Brad. I called Brad, no answer. I called Steve, no answer. Eventually Brad returned my call and asked who I was as he had never heard of me. I gave him the story, he apologised and said he had spoken with Steve the previous night but my booking had not been mentioned, in any case there was no wind so I could not have the lesson anyway. I finally got a call from Steve who disagreed with my version of events but said he would refund my money in full, which to be fair he did. Despite the refund it left a bad feeling with me as I had changed all my vacation plans to be in St Pete beach when in the end I didn't need to be there. Whilst no-one can control the weather, communication should be within the grasp of anyone purporting to run a business!

Visited March 2013
9 Thank RowhedgeRosie
727Kiteboarder, Owner at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
I did my best to accommodate this customer on short notice, however, he was obviously confused from the very beginning, and was PROMPTLY refunded when I discovered that he had shown up at an unrelated shop Saturday morning to rant- a day before his scheduled lesson. He was also VERY well aware that I was out of town and had limited phone service. We do not give lessons in sub-par conditions, and if the weather doesn't cooperate, a refund is promptly issued.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing, I totally recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Over Christmas break my family and I went down to St. Petersburg and I got the chance to take a lesson. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. He allowed me to use all of his new equipment even tho I had my own. He also stayed out on the beach and gave tips hours after the lesson time was up. Steve gave thorough instruction and was clear with instruction. I recommend Steve for kite boarding lessons of you are wanting the best instructions and experience.

1 Thank cameronkeene15
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best conditions, best teacher”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I got a lesson from Steve, we met at an awesome spot where water is shallow and just perfect for beginners. He stayed there till sunset waiting for me and always providing me with useful tips. Highly recommended!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank XimXum
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very Bad Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

To begin with, Steve arrived late to my lesson. We spent about an hour learning with a 4m kite on the beach. We then moved to the water with a 12m kite. I spent some time practicing with only the kite and then added the board. After little more than an hour, I was getting close to fully riding, but had not quite gotten it yet. Steve said that we needed to go in and walk back up the beach to get back to where we started. He rode the kite in and I walked. When I got back to the beach less than 1 ½ hours had passed since I entered the water. Steve approached me in a very irritated state, informing me that his other lesson had showed up and that he would get me “my one more hour”, but that it would not be today. I inquired as to why he was irritated with me when he had booked two lessons at the same time. I explained that I dedicated this day to the lesson and expected to be in the water for the full three hours. His website clearly states that a few hours will be spent on the beach and the customer will only be billed for the three hours in the water. We only spent an hour on the beach and less than 1 ½ hours in the water. Instead of accepting responsibility for making an error in scheduling, he came up with numerous excuses, none of which laid any responsibility on him. He said that I did not learn fast enough and was uncoordinated. I am 29, physically fit, and surf and snowboard at a high level. He also stated that I was underpowered for the conditions and that he should have rigged a 14m kite. Steve told me that we would talk in a few days about rescheduling. I told him I only have the weekends available. He said that we would meet Sunday (the next day) at 9 am. Then, spitefully, he told me, no we’re going to meet at 11:30 because he wanted to sleep in. During this entire conversation he was very unprofessional and for some reason angry with me. I told him that I did not feel comfortable continuing the lesson with him and would like a refund for half of the $300 I paid. He agreed to refund the money, but later, in an email stated that he would not refund the money. I really wanted to learn and enjoyed what I was able to learn, but had a horrible experience with Steve, the only instructor at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay. He was not for one minute the positive, upbeat instructor one would expect when learning to kiteboard.

Visited January 2013
8 Thank Tmurphyj
727Kiteboarder, Owner at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
This customer has been completely dishonest in his review, and was downright physically threatening to me on the beach. He purchased 3 hours lesson time, and in fact received 6 hours of training over the course of 2 days. He came into the lesson thinking he would be riding the board within 3 hours and unfortunately, the sport of kiteboarding doesn't work that way. When a customer is disoriented, agitated, or physically threatening, it's time to stop the lesson. He was offered to continue another day after he cooled his head, but declined.
I spent 6 hours enduring an agitated, unfriendly student, plus 300.00 to make this customer happy, and it ended up costing me a lot more than that in the long run. Feel free to contact me for the full story as the owners of this website will not allow me to state the whole truth in this matter.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing, I totally recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013