Hampton Inn St. Petersburg
Driftwood Motel(St. Petersburg)
Avalon Hotel(St. Petersburg)
Hollander Hotel(St. Petersburg)
  • Pool
All reviewshot itemsroom was cleana hilton honors membernice pool areapool and hot tubtropicana fieldclose to downtownfresh fruitminute drivest peterays gamedali museumpetersburglobbyflhousekeepingwalmart
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 November 2012

In October after a 10 hour flight my husband and I checked into Hampton Inn in St. Petersburg. We have stayed here many times before and have been satisfied with the room and the service. However after our last stay, I am going to re-think staying here again. This is mainly the management end of the hotel. There was a wedding the weekend we were there and we were in a ground floor room where it was suppossed to be quieter. Well it was quieter, after going to sleep at 2 am. I awoke at 6am to find our carpet wet and water pouring from the ceiling, down the walls and an inch deep in our bath room, I walked to the front desk and told them about the water and was asked if I wanted to move to another room. Well that was a no brainer, so we packed our wet suit cases along with wet cloths in them and went to another ground floor room. Thinking that management would stop by during the afternoon and offer to have our wet things laundered and see if we were ok in the room, nothing was done. The room we were in was damp the whole time we were there, I know they had to call the fire department to turn off the water, and I know our first room was wrecked by all of the water that finally ended up in it, but the management should have stepped up to the base. I have written Hilton Honors to no avail, they said they would respond with in three business days, it has been since the 15th of October, that is when the message from Tamela Williams, Hilton Honors, last sent anything.
100% guarantee for satisfaction or you don't pay????? I don't think so.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathy147370
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Found this hotel to be very clean, comfortable, accommodating and friendly. The location has something for everyone - restaurants, drug stores, dept. stores, etc. We had tried a hotel closer to the North Shore Aquatic Center ( by a few minutes) last year and were VERY disappointed. Thankfully we found the Hampton Inn and had a much more pleasant experience. The hot breakfast included with the room was simple - yet fresh and really helped us manage a tight schedule by opening early! The pool was lovely & well kept. Staff was awesome! We will stay there on our next trip to St. Pete.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CapeCoralCrissy
Reviewed 6 September 2012

i was amazed, pleasantly by the service given, the front desk clerk, kim, was courteous, funny, kind, and thoughtful. We all enjoyed ourselves, she had awesome recommendations, and always inquired about our day. I will return to this hotel, it was clean, and quiet. Not nessesarily the greatest neighborhood, but i felt safe...just awesome.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank fawn m
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed at the above hotel this past Sunday evening. When I entered the hotel, the clerk (Melissa) was very friendly and welcomed me to the hotel. I had asked her for directions to Tropicana field as we had tickets to the ballgame the next day and she gave me a map with directions. I asked about local places to have dinner and she gave me the name of several nice restaurants. When we went to the room it was very clean and very nice. After having a bad experience last month at another hotel in Canada, I definitely wanted to make sure that this room was as I expected. I was very happy and pleased with the room and the service. The breakfast buffet the next morning was very good and the food was very good and plenty of it. I would definitely recommend this hotel and want to thank Melissa for her friendly and helpful attitude.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NewYorkGrandpa
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I am an elite Diamond Member (20+ years in a row) in the Hilton Honors Rewards Program which Hampton is part of. I booked this Hampton on Hilton's web site. At the time, I could not get a non-smoking study for all three nights of my stay. I had to book a smoking study for the first night and a non-smoking study the next two nights. I wanted a study as I travel a lot for work and pleasure and like having a sitting area with sofa to spread out to work and relax.

Like I have done before at other Hilton's when the only choice was a smoking room, I waited until the morning of the day of my arrival and spoke with Sara DeHaro, Guest Services Manager. I asked if she could check to see if she could get me a non-smoking study for the entire 3 nights even if I had to change rooms after the first night. If not, I would cancel the first night and stay elsewhere telling her I understand if she can't accommodate by request. I have never smoked my entire life and any hint of smoke bothers me. She called back and said she was able to move other guest reservations around to assure me the same non-smoking study for all 3 nights. GREAT!

When I arrived that evening, Melissa checked me in and I headed to my assigned Room 441. The minute I opened the door, the smoke odor hit me immediately. I returned to the front desk. Melissa was extremely apologetic but said the only non-smoking room she had available was a standard room, two double beds. I had no choice but to accept it. But asked her to let Sara know in the morning, what had happened.

The room was quite uncomfortable for several reasons. First, the A/C unit under the window blows directly on you when you sit at the desk. Second, the access to the closet is along the side of one of the double beds and their is LESS THAN 12 INCHES of space between the edge of the bed and the closet doors. Almost impossible to access. Third, the bathroom was not well kept. There was caulking with mold along the tub. Dirt on the floor by the corner of the tub. SEE ATTACHED PICTURES. And, the walls were vinyl or acrylic, not tiled, and they were yellow from age and were not smooth as they had built up soap scum and grime.

In order to assure that I would have a room with a sofa the next two nights, I logged onto Hilton's web site and searched the available non-smoking suites for this hotel. A one bedroom suite was available, non-smoking, so I booked it thinking that Sara would be kind enough to move me to it in the morning and honor the study rate (since the one bedroom rate was about $30 more than the study) considering what happened to me the first night.

I went down to the Front Desk in the morning and asked Kim to speak to Sara. She had just arrived so had not read the note from Melissa. I explained the situation. She was adamant that Room 441 was a non-smoking room. See attached picture where other rooms have a non-smoking sign above the room number. Room 441 does NOT.

Even "if" it was a non-smoking room and someone had smoked in there, housekeeping should have certainly noticed the smell and done something about it. However, the stink was so bad, I can not imagine that it accumulated from just one guest's stay.

I then informed Sara that I had booked a one bedroom suite to protect myself and asked that she move me to that room for the remainer of my stay. That's when she became defensive and told me no way would that happen and that she did me a favor my blocking Room 441 for me. Never did she apologize and recognize the fact that regardless of whether 441 is designated non-smoking, the fact is that I walked into a room wreaking of smoke. Remember, Hilton Hotel managers and staff usually go out of their way to take care of their Diamond elite members.

I returned to my room to search for other available hotels in St. Petersburg and booked a suite at the Marriott and packed up. I stopped at the Front Desk and told Kim that I did not expect to be charged for last night per Hampton Inn's 100% satisfaction guarantee policy; if not satisfied, you don't pay. She said she couldn't help me so I asked to speak to Sara. Kim asked Sara to come out from the back office. Sara refused saying I would have to call the Hampton 800 number. I asked for Sara again. She again refused to come out to speak with me.

On the RARE occasion I ever have a problem at a Hilton Hotel, the management have gone out of their way to make restitution before I even have to ask. Not this place and NOT Sara.

I then asked to speak to Tiffany, the General Manager, who was very sympathetic and listened to my entire story. She agreed to honor Hampton's 100% guarantee.

It appears to me that non-management at this hotel are NOT empowered to make any decisions to rectify a problem and make a guest happy. I could tell by what Melissa and Kim said or did not say, that they were on my side but powerless to do anything. Then Sara doesn't help matters with her attitude and remember, her title is "GUEST SERVICES MANAGER".

Do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of aggravation by staying someplace else when in St. Petersburg if you don't want an uphill battle to get them to address a problem if you have one while staying here.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank William W
srewy, General Manager at Hampton Inn St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

I first would like to apologize to the guest. We are always striving for excellence and we always honor our 100% policy. I sympathize with this guest and hope his thoughts about us will change. Just like every hotel in the country, there is laways room for improvement and we have improved on evey level.