“Trashy Hotel - Now I know why the locals call it the "Dirty Bird"”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Flamingo Resort

Flamingo Resort
Ranked #30 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Trashy Hotel - Now I know why the locals call it the "Dirty Bird"”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel over 3 years ago, when it was clean, respectful and full of life. I was heading to Florida again to meet up with some friends and booked a 3 night stay at the Flamingo, remembering what a fun time I had and what a nice, clean place. I was happy that there was a "gay" hotel to relax and feel completely comfortable at during my stay. Unfortunately, when I arrived, I could immediately see that this hotel had taken a turn for the worst. All 3 rooms that I kept being transferred too were all the same. The carpets were stained in black, the rooms were not clean and the entire room smelled strong of mildew. I even purchased a can of Lysol,, but even after using the entire can, the smell did not leave. There was a hole on the bathtub, used cups in the bathroom door on the floor and I found 2 used condoms in the room. One beside the nightstand and the other at the foot of the bed. There were also holes and rips in the sheets. Only 2 outlets worked in the entire room. I finally decided I just could not stay at the hotel, packed my things and checked out that same night. The night manager, who was very nice to speak with, apologized and advised me to call back the next morning for the day front desk manager for a full refund. I had to make several calls to the front desk the following day and spoke with the day manager, who was very rude, sarcastic and unprofessional. He did not want to discuss the reasons why I left, he interrupted me, saying "Your car has been refunded, sir". I will never go back to this establishment, because of the way the rooms were kept, and the because of the rudeness of the day front desk manager. This is a SHAME, because I was so excited to be doing business with a gay establishment and supporting our community. Unfortunately, the owners of this hotel do not seem to have pride in their business and decided to not take care of the business. I wish the hotel luck and hope it can turn everything around, but in the meantime, PLEASE read all of the recent reviews before booking a room. It's not worth the unsanitary rooms and mildew/mold smell.

Room Tip: Try another hotel, unless you have a steady supply of penicillin handy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Brian L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Brandywine, Maryland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My partner and I stayed for five nights over Easter Sunday. (4/16 - 4/21/2014) After being together for 34 years, I proposed at Easter Brunch. We are from MD where we are now able to marry. The food at brunch was delicious. During our stay the staff was happy and went out of their way to help. Josh checked us in quickly and answered all our questions with a smile even though we arrived after midnight. The room was comfortable and it was nice having two bathrooms in the suite. The bars were festive. Our first night we went to the Code Bar. When we walked in Derrick stepped out from behind the bar to introduce himself and give us a hug. Tyler was training Garred at the Cabana bar. They take the time to get to know the customers. We also met adorable Anthony serving at the bar inside the night club. The Sunday Tea Dance had a good turnout. I would like to see more locals supporting this establishment. It is fun.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Etcdragon
Lyle C, Guest Relations Manager at Flamingo Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for the positive feedback, we look forward to having you guys come back out here again!!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent Memorial Day Weekend (checked in Saturday and out Monday) here as a quick place to getaway from Orlando. Checking in has always been quick, easy, and painless; we were at the front desk and out in minutes. Great instructions were given to us on how to get to our room and where to park. Our room (145) was on the ground floor. We go into the room and unpacked. This is the first time we have ever checked into a room with only 2 bath towels available. We tried to secure something in the safe, but it didn't work. The beds (2 doubles) were comfortable, but a little soft. The 2 pillows per bed, I thought, was kind of cheap. Four pillows should have been the norm for both visual appeal and comfort. The room itself was clean. Conveniently placed on the desk top was an envelope with the housekeeper's name on it for a gratuity. I wrote on the back of the envelope that we needed extra towels. We woke up on Sunday and left the room at 11:00. The room was never serviced. Granted we closed the bars at 3:00 Saturday night and placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign in the key slot, but we have done that many times at many hotels, motels, and resorts and the room gets the attention. We did not leave a tip since we did not get anything from housekeeping. We do leave housekeeping gratuities wherever we stay even without the offered envelopes.

On to the rest of the resort.... We started out at the Cabana Bar with Larry and Lance. My drinking choice is pretty much the sam anywhere I go. My friends are ALWAYS changing: beer to rum to vodka to beer, etc. Both bartenders were attentive and responsive without any attitudes. We talked with them and they told us stories, and their history. Both were new employees, Lance was still on his training shifts and Larry moved here from Lauderdale and Georgie's Alibi. We talked about going to the restaurant and getting the ribeye special. We have been at the resort a number of times and know the Saturday night special as being very good and a great price. So when we looked at the website and saw the Saturday night special as the ribeye steak listed under the bar menu, we thought that it was just an informational notice on the day's special. Visits past, we went into the dining room and sat down at cloth draped tables with cloth napkins and set tables. We ordered the specials and received a salad to start our dinner before the steak, veg, and baked potato were served. Restaurant is closed but they still have the special (????) on a china plate. But picture this... Eating a steak on a china plate next to your friend eating "house breaded" chicken tenders in a basket. They really should 86 the steak. Back at the Cabana bar later kind of got the munchies tried to order a basket of fries but was told the kitchen closed. There are NO chip machines on property, only CANDY BARs! So I want a salty potato snack and all that is available is a Snickers Bar! Went to the McDonald's next door. Cabana bar closed so we were directed to the Flamingo Bar inside where Jake was the bartender. This cute little kid was SOOO entertaining and friendly. With him we were introduced to Will, Tyler (ok we met him earlier). My advice is do not do a hit and run, talk to your wait staff and your bartenders. Spend time with them.

Room Tip: Pool side tends to be louder than the other option. ground floor is right at the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have often visited the Flamingo, weather it be for an afternoon or an overnight getaway. We went last Monday afternoon. Hung out by the pool and the Tiki Bar. Had the pleasure of cool breezes and great cocktails. We had the fine service of Tyler who was not only friendly, but VERY easy on the eyes.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at the Flamingo, May 15 thru the 18th 2014, the staff was very friendly and professional, the food was awesome and the food prices were great, they ran all kinds of drink specials all weekend also. The pool was clear and the pool furniture was in excellent condition, most of it looked new. My room had icy cold A/C and the beds were comfy and the rooms are good size, plenty of space for your luggage.
My thanks for an awesome weekend, A special Thank you to; John at the Cabana bar, Jim at the Hot Dog & Hamburger pool side grille, Sandra who took care of my room, and the front desk crew, Shevelle, Angie, Chris and forgive me I forgot the name of the young man who helped me with the tv remote and the young lady who replaced my lost key card at 5:30 in the morning, you all are doing an excellent job, I enjoyed meeting all of you and thank you for taking such good care of me.

Room Tip: I chose a room on the first floor on the North Side, these rooms are the closest to the parking area...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel/restaurant/entertainment complex. As a hotel, very nice. Rooms certainly adequate. Housekeeping staff has been attentive ad amenable. Bar staff has been superb. Only drawback has been dining and food service staff. Dinner lady night (was supposed to be a ribeye and was replaced and no mention made) was sub par. And also the service was near inexistent. Get that together and this could be a great bunch of fun

• Stayed May 2014
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This place calls itself a hotel? Where to begin? My bed was broken, like actually broken. The box springs was splintered and sagging. Phone in the room didn't work. Safe did not work. TV did not work. Water barely even fell out of the shower faucet, forget water pressure. Absolutely no bath towels, they try and pass off hand towels as bath towels. I guess that a lot of their guests are midgets.service was, well what can I say? Equally terrible and more than a little incompetent. When I first arrived and saw all the problems with my room, they tried twice to move me to other rooms, which at 5 p.m. were still not made up by housekeeping, and the front desk didn't even know it until I walked in the rooms to go into them.

• Stayed May 2014