We booked an overnight room at Flamingo Resort in St. Petersburg. We’d stayed at the Flamingo once before but it had been a least a couple years back. They have a directly web-based reservation system and the room rates are quite reasonable ($69), but as the old adage goes “you get what you pay for”, and boy does it apply here!
As requested, we were issued a king room (#173) on the ground floor, facing away from the pool, unfortunately this room was nothing short of disgusting and let me tell you why: The stale musty smell hit you in the face the moment the door opened. The carpet, which had to be 10+ years old, was so stained and so horrifically filthy that it was difficult to determine what color it was; clearly it hadn't been cleaned, or even swept, in quite some time. We had a can of Lysol spray in our car and although we emptied it into the room, the smell was just too much for it. The toilet paper was on the floor since the bathroom didn't have a function dispenser and the two room towels were extremely thin, they felt like sandpaper. We put our bags on the bed and walked to the pool bar for a drink. While we sat there we were able to watch the cleaning folks “clean” 4 rooms within a short distance of our table. What we found interesting (but not surprising) was that they didn't have a sweeper or broom on their cart.
Completely disenchanted at this point, we walked back to our pre-paid room only to watch a couple cockroaches scramble when we walked in. That was it, we packed our bags and made a reservation down the road. We did stop into the front desk and told them in a polite way why we couldn't stay as planned and the gal behind the desk said, “thank you so much” – she couldn't of care less.
Flamingo, it is what it is, but that’s not much. Enjoy the night life it offers but we strongly recommend spending a couple bucks more to stay elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- THE FLAMINGO LGBT RESORT & ENTERTAINMENT COMPLEX. Just minutes from some of the best beaches in America, Flamingo is a must at the top of your list of Gay Travel Destinations. The Flamingo Resort has 128 Hotel Rooms, the Flamingo Grill, 9 On-Site Shops, 6 Bars and an 80,000 Gallon Pool. Enjoy Tropical Drinks served at the poolside Cabana or relax inside at Flamingo's Glo Bar... or dance the night away at the Flamingo Main Bar Night Club, complete with Live DJ's, Light Shows & The Flamingo Blu Theater Players Show! Our goal at the Flamingo Resort is to ensure your complete satisfaction while visiting Florida's Largest LGBT Resort & Entertainment Complex. We are able to do this by offering daily entertainment, great food & drinks, and a fabulous staff that understand our Customers are our number one priority. Our job is to create the atmosphere of your dreams where you can meet new friends, make new memories, and have a fantastic time!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Flamingo Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flamingo Hotel St. Petersburg
- Jms Hotel St Petersburg
- Knights Inn Saint Petersburg
- Flamingo Resort St. Petersburg, Florida