“Best veg place to get your "meat" fix”
Review of Meze 119

Meze 119
Ranked #23 of 961 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Opened June of 2011 in the heart of Downtown St. Petersburg. MEZE is a Vegetarian and Vegan restaurant presenting a modern interpretation of traditional Middle Eastern cuisine. The menu offerings are health conscious, fresh and diverse. The beer and wine lists are succinct and carefully cultivated. Come try it and we just know it will quickly be among your favorite spots!
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I've been to Meze 119 many times. It is a great little spot with excellent vegetarian fare. They have the best faux meat that I've tried. Texturally and flavor-wise, their meat tastes like the real thing. I especially love the Flat Iron "Stak" (long "A" in the pronunciation); it's got mushrooms, caramelized onions and cheese on garlic flatbread. It's my favorite meal there. Their tamarind honey sauce is killer; I want to put it on everything! They have a Moroccan Mint Tea that is very refreshing.
I've had many things on the menu and all have been delicious. The only complaint I have is that the stuffed acorn squash was quite bland the time I had it.
The service is always excellent. Even on busy days, they are still good about checking back with their tables.
They have a great selection of beers and the Pittsburgher in me rejoices because they carry IC Light! (A rarity here in FL).
If you are contemplating vegetarian life, this is good place to try out and see how delicious food can be without meat.

1  Thank mrm1008

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Ne ar the heart of downtown St. Pete is this little place on 2nd Ave. that I had never seen before but felt compelled to try after some recent Middle Eastern restaurant excursions in the Northeast..... this is a very small place with booths (plenty of room) and tables (way too small). The food, as always, is really why you come to a place and Meze 119 does not disappoint.

The food is delicious, amazing even. Everything is done very well and the tastes are extraordinary. While slightly above the median on the cost side I will gladly pay it for the quality and diversity I received this day.

There is NO meat served anywhere in the restaurant although I ordered the MEETLoaf, which was a combination of soy, garbanzos, and other vegetable ingredients served with garlic mashed potatoes that had me never remembering what MEATloaf actually was..... If I could get food like this all the time I would never eat meat again.....seriously.

Great wine list and healthy beer menu as well. Only suggestion is to get some art of photos on the wall. It's a bit drab (if you can call white walls drab) and there IS one wall with a wonderful tree/leaf mural-its but a few well chosen photos or pics would give the decor just a bit more sprite!

Definitely go........

1  Thank F J
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Great vegetarian menu capable of pleasing omnivores as well! Tasty, artisan vegetarian plates and sandwiches served quickly by pleasant, intelligent staff with a decent beer menu! Clean, relaxed downtown location walking distance to Central Ave and Beach Dr scenes very enjoyable and refreshing dining experience

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had a pleasant dining experience in this little restaurant. The food was very good, especially the roasted acorn squash, served at a proper temperature and plated attractively. Our service was good - no complaints. I can't speak to parking, as we were staying at a nearby hotel and walked to the restaurant. Otherwise, I recommend giving Meze 119 a try. We plan to return to try other items on the menu.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

It's delicious. You'll love your food, that's for sure.
The service is very hit or miss. It's a tiny spot, but they get a little busy and service falls apart. Like... Wait 45 minutes for a hummus appetizer that looks like it was plated by a child. Slopped on and delivered 1 minute ahead of our entrees. Embarrassing.

Still - tasty. We'll come back.