“excellent boutique hotel and staff!”

Ponce De Leon Hotel
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 15 January 2012

i stayed here a couple of nights ago and i loved it! the manager/owner Savni Bakrac was so kind and helpful, making sure everything was perfect and made me feel so welcomed there. the other staff was so kind and helpful. the room was so unique and cute. it was also very clean and comfortable, especially the bed, which was so soft. i slept so well there and woke up very rested. i plan to come back to this cute hotel again and highly recommend it to all. very good security. felt very safe there .

Room Tip: all are good rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MALCOLMSMOMLuray_va_

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I read ALL the reviews I could find on this place before booking. Stayed New Year's Eve. We had a Studio room. One double bed...one Murphy bed. First impressions? I liked the charm. We had two other friends who also booked rooms, and each room was different. Rooms were clean. Restuarant downstairs was good.Lots of cool things within walking distance. We went to a concert at Jannus Live, and we could walk easily there.We had no noise issues. Quiet in fact, even on NYE. We were on the 3rd floor.Those were the good points...Beds were God awful. Hard as rocks. Couldn't sleep for nothing, even after a night of a few cocktails. TV was teeny-tiny and was snowy. Cooking smells from restuarant throughout hallway, but room was OK. No place to put anything in bathroom.Can't really comment on airconditioning unit, as we did have it on, but it wasn't that hot outside.Older unit that I would have my doubts about cooling off the room in hotter weather. We checked out at 7:30AM and went home and slept. Overall, this is a pitstop place. One night only to avoid driving. I would never stay more than that. If you want a good night's sleep, stay somewhere else. I wanted to like this place, I really did. If they improved the bedding situation, they would really have a decent place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank BaliHai70
Reviewed 21 December 2011

The hotel was dirty, loud, and smelled bad. I found a nasty pair of underwear under the bed, and our bed was actually broken on the left side. The bar on the first floor was very loud, in fact, we heard people talking all night long. We were on the 5th floor and we could hear every word as clear as day. The music was very loud too. The noise went on until 3:00 AM. I expressed my feelings to the staff and they had little interest in my complaints. I will never stay there again, and I highly recommend that you choose a different hotel in the area too.

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel for your visit to St. Pete
Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I wish I'd been warned...this place is truly awful. After checking in, I took the elevator to my floor. The door opened to a very dark hallway which smelled awful. Dank, dirty. I got into my room to find no dresser or anywhere to put my luggage (not even a bench or stand) so I was forced to leave it open on the floor. I wanted to catch the end of Thursday night football and the TV didn't work--really snowy. (They had me try another room and the TV was even worse.) There was no clock or radio. The bed was squeaky and uncomfortable, and sat only 14" from the floor. The air conditioning was very loud and functioned intermittently. I couldn't just leave the fan on for white noise. The place was loud. The walls had no insulation and the windows did not block sound either so, even though I was on the 4th floor, I could easily hear street noises even with the windows shut. The window blinds did not block exterior light. (Try sleeping in after a day of travel--impossible here.) The bathroom was tiny as well. I've never checked out of a place early before. I was intending to stay three nights but left the following morning. The staff didn't even ask why.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Eric O
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I stayed here this year and last year in order to run the Women's Half Marathon. The hotel is in a perfect area and walking distance from many lovely shops and restaurants. I was able to walk to the race expo and the start and finish line for the race was about 3 blocks away. The room was small but clean and comfortable. There was a very small refrigerator which had enough room for a few bottles of water. The price was right and I would definitely return

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JillPT
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The Ponce de Leon dates back to the 1920s when St. Pete was in its Art Deco/land boom age. There are still touches of this; my room had original moldings, a real closet, and an old chandelier whose arms didn't quite line up. The furniture was cheap new stuff. On the first afternoon, there was an overwhelming smell of disinfectant -- nothing says "tenement" more -- that did not appear again. But it's a good value for the price. Everything was clean; the bathroom was great; the heating/AC unit was fine; and the staff was very nice. Location is terrific.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I guess you pay for what you get. My tiny room smelled really old and moldy. It smelled like ancient building you take tours through when learning about history. Out side the rooms were hot and smelled like a bunch of people’s stinky cooking. I had to buy Febreze but that didn't help much. The attendant told me it would be easy to find parking but I spent an hour and half trying to locate a place to park. The hotel offers no parking. You are left to find a place to park. They provided cheap water which I thought was complimentary but charged me four dollars for one bottle of water. There wasn't a sign explaining that the water would cost money. I only found out this after looking at my credit card bill. The air condition is also very noisy. I was very disappointed in my stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business