“NONSENSE!”

Ponce De Leon Hotel
Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is a pretty long review, but I have to let people know what a complete rip off this place is!

All these people with good reviews about the Ponce De Leon in Tampa, Florida are either full of **it or paid an AWFUL lot of money for the best rooms available!!! Aside from being in a great location and the nice staff, the experience was terrible!
We paid over $200 for what we thought was going to be a better experience than just a plain Days Inn, since we don't get to travel a whole lot (workaholics, can't get out of work enough)
If you check out the website, you will see that all the rooms and prices are shown. When I booked the room, I was expecting what I saw in that photo. I'm not sure if this link will show on here, but this is it:
Those pictures are FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!
We booked at $99/night and the room was NOTHING like what is shown in the pictures!
The place was barely even big enough to hold the pull down bed! Yes, a pull down bed...it was folded up into the wall and we had to pull it down to use it, like a trundle bed.
Also, when I attempted pulling the bed down, it got stuck and a bug flew out!
Even though we don't watch a whole lot of TV, I was disappointed to see a box for a TV.
The carpets were all stained and looked like they hadn't seen a vacuum in ages.
In the online photos, all the rooms had hard wood flooring, a wonderful vanity mirror, a desk, nice TV, and they all look very modernized....NOT!
OH! BTW the entire 4th floor REEKED of weed. I'm not a pothead, so I don't enjoy the contact high that others may.
I went downstairs to talk to the concierge, about to cry because it was such a waste of hard earned money.
I explained to him the problems we had and, after trying to stand up for the pot smokers, he led me to a different room on the 3rd floor, which was bigger, but no better.
I'm not normally one to cause too much trouble, so I settled.
The new room had 2 beds, one a pull down and the other a VERY small and unbalanced one.
My husband, standing at about 5'8", slept with his feet hanging off the bed because it was so small.
The A/C felt very humid and blew right into the side of the bed, making it very difficult to be comfortable.
When I turned on the shower, it made the WORST screeching sound until it was turned off.
It didn't look like anyone had cleaned the room in a very long time and the bed had all kinds of stains and dirt within the sheets.
Again, with the nasty carpets, which were supposed to be hardwood floors.
We were on the 3rd floor and could hear people on the sidewalks outside chatting!
The ceiling light flickered from the people upstairs walking around.

We were expecting soooo much more for spending over $200 and the rooms we saw were not even worth $20. This hotel was a big downer in the weekend. If I had known it was so distasteful, I definitely would have stayed in a cheaper hotel for much better quality.

BY FAR, the WORST hotel experience I've ever had!

Room Tip: Spend your whole life savings for good quality!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Savannah W

Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed at the Ponce De Leon for 5 nights a week ago and had a positive experience (despite some of the reviews here, phew). 4th floor corner room facing Tampa Bay, lot's of light, plenty of room for 2, ok decor, the bed was comfortable and clean and the place had some charm, the fir(?) hardwood floors were a bonus. A really nice stay honestly, we would stay there again.. great shower/water pressure, had a fridge (a bit noisy)... only complaints, the drapes/blinds were a pain to operate, no fan in the bathroom (but a window) and they never emptied the garbage in our room, pretty minor; oh, and the (free) wireless was having intermittent issues towards the end of our stay... and yes, the free overnight parking they offer (you have to ask) is a long 3-blocks away, but who cares.. it was 75 degrees without a clowd in the sky!

I should mention the price was great (one night free on our stay). but the location was truly fantastic. and don't forget the tapas downstairs.. and their live music, top notch!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This is an Historic hotel in the center of the heartbeat of St Pete bayfront scene. It is within walking distance of everything you could possibly need to do for a successful vacation, and within convenient driving or shuttle distance from most every other venue. Of course this hotel is dated, it is an historic landmark of mission revival architecture and is approaching 100 years old.

I did not notice that it was musty or moldy, but did notice some blemishes or difficulties in the finish of some of the details. But that is to be expected when dealing with the upkeep of an historic site where every room is unique and 90 years of service and settling have occurred. If you want crisp clean lines, cookie cutter rooms and that always newly renovated feel, this is NOT the hotel for you. If you prefer to stay in a place with character and a storied past, where you can contemplate the fabulous happenings that might have occurred all around you in eras gone by, you will most likely be comfortable here.

However, this area comes alive at sunset with the many clubs, pubs and eateries within and around the building. If you sleep very lightly, you may want to avoid the lower front rooms on the weekend. But that is also a natural side effect of staying in a hotel that is right in the middle of everything you would want to do. Complimentary breakfasts and valert parking would earn this hotel a higher score, as the parking is pretty horrid downtown.

Room Tip: There are limited balcony rooms available, so plan ahead and be sure to reserve the right room.Upper...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tdchastain
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We have stayed here twice just for an overnight get away each time. First time we got a double on the back side of the hotel. Noise was not a factor there. Next time we got a queen. I would definitely spend the extra money for a queen. The queen was on the 6th floor overlooking central ave. Noise from the downstairs restaurant/ bar was definitely a factor but all was quiet after 1 a.m. I did not find the hotel dirty on either visit. We found the hotel historic and quaint and you absolutely cannot beat the location. No they do not have parking but each time we had no problem finding parking on the streets close by. Maybe the fact it was Saturday afternoon both times made a difference. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JBDAVIS
Reviewed 15 January 2012

i stayed here a couple of nights ago and i loved it! the manager/owner Savni Bakrac was so kind and helpful, making sure everything was perfect and made me feel so welcomed there. the other staff was so kind and helpful. the room was so unique and cute. it was also very clean and comfortable, especially the bed, which was so soft. i slept so well there and woke up very rested. i plan to come back to this cute hotel again and highly recommend it to all. very good security. felt very safe there .

Room Tip: all are good rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MALCOLMSMOMLuray_va_
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I read ALL the reviews I could find on this place before booking. Stayed New Year's Eve. We had a Studio room. One double bed...one Murphy bed. First impressions? I liked the charm. We had two other friends who also booked rooms, and each room was different. Rooms were clean. Restuarant downstairs was good.Lots of cool things within walking distance. We went to a concert at Jannus Live, and we could walk easily there.We had no noise issues. Quiet in fact, even on NYE. We were on the 3rd floor.Those were the good points...Beds were God awful. Hard as rocks. Couldn't sleep for nothing, even after a night of a few cocktails. TV was teeny-tiny and was snowy. Cooking smells from restuarant throughout hallway, but room was OK. No place to put anything in bathroom.Can't really comment on airconditioning unit, as we did have it on, but it wasn't that hot outside.Older unit that I would have my doubts about cooling off the room in hotter weather. We checked out at 7:30AM and went home and slept. Overall, this is a pitstop place. One night only to avoid driving. I would never stay more than that. If you want a good night's sleep, stay somewhere else. I wanted to like this place, I really did. If they improved the bedding situation, they would really have a decent place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank BaliHai70
Reviewed 21 December 2011

The hotel was dirty, loud, and smelled bad. I found a nasty pair of underwear under the bed, and our bed was actually broken on the left side. The bar on the first floor was very loud, in fact, we heard people talking all night long. We were on the 5th floor and we could hear every word as clear as day. The music was very loud too. The noise went on until 3:00 AM. I expressed my feelings to the staff and they had little interest in my complaints. I will never stay there again, and I highly recommend that you choose a different hotel in the area too.

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel for your visit to St. Pete
Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family