“Not a Typical Inn.”

Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Lenoir City, Tennessee
“Not a Typical Inn.”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

If you want something out of the ordinary, something with a european flare and convience at a very fair price you will love the Ponce De Leon in St. Pete. My room was right across from the elevator and I had no noise issues as some reviews mentioned. I had a glimpse of the ocean. Parking is available only a block a away at a garage or lot. Yes it costs a few bucks but you are downtown! The hotel is art deco and reminds me of the hotels in South beach, Miami. The rooms are small but adequate for one or two people.Two resturants are on either side of the hotel both are great and I did not notice any odor from them as mentioned by some reviewers. The staff was fantastic! I will be back!

Room Tip: 510 has a glimpse of the ocean/bay
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Where to start????? I travel a lot, I’m from Europe and I’m use to going from hotel to hotel. I can assure you that I’ve been treated as good as I was treated here in very few places, 5 star hotels included. Yes, this is not a 5 star hotel but it is as great in many aspects, especially on the customer service part. I had a small problem and needed to change rooms, the owner (who is a great guy) helped me personally. Making sure that all guest are happy is the important thing for them. The hotel is very clean, perfectly located. At the end of the day……great price for a great hotel. A+ for the owner.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Wanted to stay in the "ponce" because we eat at Ceviches and always thought it would be nice to stay. Wife deposited month and a half ago in January for my birthday weekend and grad prix. Arrived Friday afternoon and we were given a room on the second floor with a wonderful view of the back side of the Hampton inn. Two large AC units outside the window for the restaurant going all day and night. Through the wall AC not in service so they installed a window unit which ran day and night, did I mention the 2 AC units outside the window?? The bathroom sink was at the end of the bed in the room next to an Ikea desk with extremely sharp ends on it. The toilet and shower are on the other side of the room in a 4x6 space. Very quaint except if you want to wash, brush or whatever. Pillows on bed were approximately 1" thick and were past service life 3 years ago, when I asked for another couple pillows I got the excuse that the hotel was booked and didn't have anymore. I slept on the thin pillow with the decorative pillow underneath. And to think all for 225 a night.
Holiday inn express not only gives the best service they even ask if they can do anything else and that's at 100 a night. when we went to check out they not only had taken the deposit they charged the whole thing to our card again. Did I mention the front desk clerk eating dinner at the desk and talking to us with food running down his cheek.
Would I stay there again or recommend them ? Yes if it burns down and Holiday Inn builds a new place.

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I chose this hotel for the location and price. I thought that the reviews depicted the rooms accurately. It is an old historic hotel so we were pretty sure what to expect. It is strategically located downtown and we could walk everywhere. The front desk people were a little aloof (not really into customer service) but for us it was ok. Our room was a little short on ammenities (no cups,coffee and the ice bucket was not cleaned from the previous occupant).
My husband went out for coffee in the morning and asked for directions. The front desk person was pretty vague about were to go and then locked my husband out. Overall though I would stay there again if location is important

Room Tip: Our corner room on the fourth floor was spacious with a great view
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed here during the Honda Grand Prix. The race was literally right outside our room and I assume that it is the same way with any big event downtown. So if you're looking for a nice quiet hotel away from it all this is not it. We loved it though. The decor is very charming similar to many small hotels in France and the local art hung around adds a special touch. For a place in the center of downtown town the price I'd good too.

• Stayed March 2012
Jacksonville Florida
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed at this place and arrived to find they rented my room I had reserved. They were unprofessional and rude, not one ounce of customer service. We waited 4 hours for them to kick the owners son out of a room so they could rent it to us. It was a busy friday night and they were booked as were other hotels, or I would/should have gone elsewhere. The room was uncomfortable at best...the bathrooms were dirty and obvious that it wasn't cleaned when they kicked the son out and gave it to us. The shower and toilet area were tiny, the shower water ran like raindrops, it was impossible to shower. The left side of the euro platform bed was broken, so I slept having to fight from rolling off onto the floor. It was noisy and not private, you could hear everything going on outside the door, the walls were paper thin. We were promised a discounted rate because of the confusion with the room not being ready, but they actually charged me more than double in two separate charges on my card, one not authorized by me. I am fighting that now with a charge back. The owner responded to the charge back that I paid for 2 rooms, which was a lie. The whole thing became so crazy and unprofessional that they were yelling at ME in front of customers in the lobby, the manager yelled at me and walked out saying he was "crazy and needed to leave"...he came back after a nice smelly cigarette...then the owner showed up and was even more unprofessional. Its obvious this family run business is a bunch of gypsies, thats how they run their business and thats how they act...they are dishonest and in my opinion criminal with the use of guests credit cards. I wouldn't go back to that place if they PAID ME to come...it was by far the most uncomfortable experience on vacation I had ever had, it ruined our trip sadly. Do yourself a favor, stay next door at the Hampton Inn where you aren't dealing with a small family run flop hotel. At least in a large name hotel you can always go to corporate when you have a problem. Signed, love St Pete...hate Ponce Deleon Hotel :(

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank hipasbury
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is a pretty long review, but I have to let people know what a complete rip off this place is!

All these people with good reviews about the Ponce De Leon in Tampa, Florida are either full of **it or paid an AWFUL lot of money for the best rooms available!!! Aside from being in a great location and the nice staff, the experience was terrible!
We paid over $200 for what we thought was going to be a better experience than just a plain Days Inn, since we don't get to travel a whole lot (workaholics, can't get out of work enough)
If you check out the website, you will see that all the rooms and prices are shown. When I booked the room, I was expecting what I saw in that photo. I'm not sure if this link will show on here, but this is it:
Those pictures are FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!
We booked at $99/night and the room was NOTHING like what is shown in the pictures!
The place was barely even big enough to hold the pull down bed! Yes, a pull down bed...it was folded up into the wall and we had to pull it down to use it, like a trundle bed.
Also, when I attempted pulling the bed down, it got stuck and a bug flew out!
Even though we don't watch a whole lot of TV, I was disappointed to see a box for a TV.
The carpets were all stained and looked like they hadn't seen a vacuum in ages.
In the online photos, all the rooms had hard wood flooring, a wonderful vanity mirror, a desk, nice TV, and they all look very modernized....NOT!
OH! BTW the entire 4th floor REEKED of weed. I'm not a pothead, so I don't enjoy the contact high that others may.
I went downstairs to talk to the concierge, about to cry because it was such a waste of hard earned money.
I explained to him the problems we had and, after trying to stand up for the pot smokers, he led me to a different room on the 3rd floor, which was bigger, but no better.
I'm not normally one to cause too much trouble, so I settled.
The new room had 2 beds, one a pull down and the other a VERY small and unbalanced one.
My husband, standing at about 5'8", slept with his feet hanging off the bed because it was so small.
The A/C felt very humid and blew right into the side of the bed, making it very difficult to be comfortable.
When I turned on the shower, it made the WORST screeching sound until it was turned off.
It didn't look like anyone had cleaned the room in a very long time and the bed had all kinds of stains and dirt within the sheets.
Again, with the nasty carpets, which were supposed to be hardwood floors.
We were on the 3rd floor and could hear people on the sidewalks outside chatting!
The ceiling light flickered from the people upstairs walking around.

We were expecting soooo much more for spending over $200 and the rooms we saw were not even worth $20. This hotel was a big downer in the weekend. If I had known it was so distasteful, I definitely would have stayed in a cheaper hotel for much better quality.

BY FAR, the WORST hotel experience I've ever had!

Room Tip: Spend your whole life savings for good quality!
2 Thank Savannah W