“Duncan Plus”

Duncan McClellan Gallery
Ranked #1 of 39 Shopping in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique contemporary glass art gallery and working hot-shop (glass blowing facility). Featuring over 50 internationally acclaimed artists, we sponsor monthly rotating exhibits. Come for live glassblowing demonstrations and wonderful art! Facility is also a dramatic events venue and home to educational non-profit 501(c)3 DMG School Project.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Dunedin, Florida
374 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 294 helpful votes
“Duncan Plus”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you love modern and historic glass you will adore the Duncan McCellan Gallery in the former St. Petersburg warehouse district. His work is truly original...wish I'd bought a piece 15 years ago. His re-location here from Tampa facilitated this creation of an artists district. Oh, he lives in site. Do enjoy the outdoor sculptors and murals and blending with glass. And not how Duncan nurtures emerging glass artists in his changing exhibits. Did I forget to mention the glass blowing studio and tropical plants. Make this your anchor spot for the second saturdays art walks. park here and take the trolley to canter city locales.

Visited August 2014

Oldsmar, Florida
264 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 333 helpful votes
“the 'mother' of all glass blowing 'works' .... a N. Florida 'must see'”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

To think I almost bagged this tour by our local Womens' group because of the early departure!!! I've witnessed glass-blowing in Prague and in Bermuda and was even given the opportunity to blow glass myself on a tour outside of Tokyo (not nearly as easy as it looks!!!). although each has been quite amazing, today's tour of McClellan Gallery was o.t.t.! The very likeable & informative Duncan McClellan, its 'founder', gave the 6 of us a private before-hours tour (the Gallery opens at 10 a.m.), introducing us to a couple of artists preparing for this weekend's show who in turn, enthused about their individual glass creations.
We finished out at the 'hot shop' where Alexis Silk was instructing a team of four in preparation of one of the awesome angel torsos that are among her most splendid works. There our small group sat / stood, entranced, for over an hour, unwilling, any one of us, to tear ourselves away until the second wing (from its separate oven) had been secured at the shoulders, and the entire incredible piece was completed. I had never before witnessed the team-work aspect involved in creation of such magnificent pieces and came away hugely impressed at how professional, even 'joyous' this group of artists are!
We were allowed to photograph the many amazing works displayed, something we each felt was almost 'too good to be true' ... I'll attach several to whet the appetite of those who haven't yet 'discovered' the McClellan Gallery. Most of us left with the intent to return with family members and friends in the near future, perhaps for the once-a-month gallery gad-about, of which McClellan, as I understand, is an active participant.

Visited April 2014
Florida, Uruguay
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 197 helpful votes
“Beautiful glass work and...an alchemists dream!”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

After doing a week long art tour of St Petersburg, we saw many works by Duncan McClellan. I was particularly intrigued by his pieces entitled alchemy. We finally made our way to his studio, and got to meet him in person. We also met the studio director, gallery director, and the live glass making expert. It was an awesome visit and we even picked up a beautiful representation of the alchemy series. He also features other internationally renowned artists in his studio. A must do for any admirer of fine glass work.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank ckckckckckck
Apollo Beach, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AMAZING!!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

A great gallery to take the time for. Incredible use of glass in so many different ways. I am going back again for sure with more people. It was awesome to see the blown glass demo. An experience you never forget or stop talking about.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank sarah m
Ruskin, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Experience!!”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

An awesome gallery and studio of a local artist who is internationally known! Today, he took the time to host my 5th grade art club! Gave them a tour of his gallery of beautiful glass work and had sculpter Fraser Smith there to talk and show his work. Then had a demo in his Hot Shop! The kids will never forget it and I would(and will) come back the next chance I get!

Visited February 2014