“lizzandjerry”

Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“lizzandjerry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

What a wonderful, restful vacation location! The staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was great. Bar was fun to visit, music, trivia night, even has a new coffee shop. Hotel is close to everything. We walked, explored, wandered, and spent time talking and reading. This experience has been one of the best Christmas presents we ever gave ourselves! You should come, you'll love it as much as we did.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Great food and drinks at the bar. Definitely have the breakfast if you are there on the weekends-well worth the $10. Stayed in a queen room, comfy bed and pillows, plus a table, three chairs, and flat-screen tv. Bathroom small and dated, but that's to be expected at an older hotel such as this one. Overall, a really great stay, and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Quaint Old Brick bldg. Very accommadating staff.Great rates. Nice bar, (21 Taps) excellant food, moderately priced.Shuttle to tranport you to museums, marina, Saturday Farmers' Mkt., although walkable.No in-room phone, so bring cell phone. Clean everywhere I looked.3 flrs., elevater,Additional parking being added during my stay.(Dec.4-10th,2013)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mobile, al
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

I haven't checked out yet, but the hotel was a pleasant surprise. Everyone is friendly and goes the extra mile to greet the guests. I was up at 5:30 and since everyone else in my party was was sleeping, I came down to the lobby to read. The coffee isn't usually put out until 6am, but the guy in the lobby made a special batch for me.

The restaurant/coffee house seems to be a pretty hip place with the locals. Last night, it was a happening place. It appears that you don't have to leave the property to go to a bar or restaurant, but if you do, downtown isn't far away.

Know what to expect. This is not a brand new luxury hotel. This is an remodeled, older property with lots of charm. Just as with an older house, there are certain things that weren't standard when the place was built. The double queen suite is quite large and has a full fridge. We have stayed at the Vinoy before, but wanted to try something new. The Vinoy hotel has a larger lobby and more amenities, but you will pay for them. This Hollander has standard internet (Vinoy charges $10/day) and breakfast is included on weekdays (not included in larger hotels). There is also no charge for parking at the Hollander. I think this will work just fine for us and I would come back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Coffee shop it's great .. love Jeremy. .. The best coffee... karma coffee and for it's ny neighborhood place to be. Comfortable and local the service is fabulous. Come and have a cup. The sets are to die for. Tell the Dharma said so..

• Stayed December 2013
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

When we go to St. Pete to see the Red Sox lose--so sad, but when we go they always lose--we stay at the Hollander. Love this place. It has good energy and a great bar where Sox fans can drown their sorrows and Rays fans can gloat, but in a nice way. Excellent food, service, and entertainment as well. This IS the spirit of St. Pete: vibrant, a little funky, warm, welcoming, and fun. By the way, rooms with two queen beds are available if you call the hotel directly. My daughter and I are sharing a suite later this week.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank msabsinthe
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

The most important thing to me is (at least a semblance) of cleanliness, and I think housekeeping lets this hotel down.

I'm just returning home from training in St. Petersburg, and a 5 night stay at the Hollander. I picked the hotel because of TA reviews, but I should have read the reviews more carefully to understand what the raves are about. Yes, the lobby and porch are interesting and social, and the hotel front desk is full of hospitable and nice people. (I didn't eat in the Tap Room, so I can't speak to it.) But, for me, those things aren't so important; being able to go back to my room after a full day of training and chill is. The hair on the towels was what bothered me the most; they were on every towel I used. I wasn't thrilled about the hairs I found on the bed sheets, on the sink, in the bath, in the fridge either, but after complaining about the towels twice, I just tried to suck it up. Plus, after housekeeping failed to make up my room on the second day, I was transferred to a bigger room, so I could see how solicitous the hotel staff was being, and I just didn't have the energy to continuously complain.

So, hospitable employees (really very nice and welcoming), and cheap rates (really cheap), but not what I expect in terms of cleanliness.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Victoria J
Nick H, General Manager at Hollander Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank You for your input, I do appreciate all comments.
I will follow up with housekeeping.

Nick Herring