“Just Ok , but didn't feel right”
Review of Tropicana Field

Tropicana Field
Ranked #11 of 138 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the Tampa Bay Rays, this major league park is the first to feature naturally looking FieldTurf.
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

This is a modernish ballpark that is in St Petersburg which is a short drive from Tampa. We were holidaying in Orlando so it's only a 1 1/2 hr drive so had to be done. Parking was free in the large lot outside as we had 4 in our car, otherwise it would be $20. Getting tickets was easy as the game on family day v the Red Sox was on the Sunday if Labor Day weekend. Tickets are cheap at $26 so I was a little surprised that it was so empty. We sat in section 302 on level 300 behind the plate and the view was really good. Food offerings on 300 is minimal usual ballpark fare, so you're better getting nourishment at ground level establishments where there is a greater selection. tropicana allows you to take your own food and drinks in so this is another cost effective way if eating. My biggest gripe was the atmosphere , it was very quiet throughout the game ( not that there was much to cheer from a Rays perspective) and it all felt very manufactured. Maybe it was because it's in a big top, maybe I'm being unfair and comparing it to the only other ball park I've been to (AT&T in SF). If you've never been to a ball game I'd recommend it though.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,923)

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My family went for out first Rays game recently and I was appalled at the vendor prices for food. For instance 3 hot dogs ($15.00), a Sierra Mist (($5.00), 2 bags of chips ($2.00 X2) and bottled water (($4.00) came to $28.00. Add two beers for the adults at $11.00 a beer and $20.00 a seat for the game and you add up to a very expensive evening watching the home team. Do the math, and I will get my entertainment elsewhere from now on. And they wonder why the stadium isn't full?

Reviewed 31 August 2014

In town to see my beloved Red Sox! First visit here. Stayed at the Vinoy, which offers shuttle service to the front door of the stadium. Very clean, with friendly staff. Waited 15 minutes for a grilled cheese sandwich, and I was the only person in line. If you are visiting to see the opposing team, section 115 was just above the dugout and offered a great up close experience.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

This was a game I went to witness Derek Jeters last season as a Yankee. The ballpark has easy access, good facilities but very expensive refreshments.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

If you are a Tampa Bay Rays fan, you go to Tropicana Field and endure. There is a reasonable selection of food and the prices are not too bad for a major league game. The staff are friendly and helpful. Bathrooms are easy to find and accessible. Views of the field from almost every seat in the park are fine.

The field is not in the best shape and the stadium is terrible - probably in the bottom third of the stadiums in major league baseball. The Rays truly need a better and more modern stadium situated in a place that is more convenient to fans in Tampa.

I rate the experience as average despite the field. St. Petersburg, FL is a fun and interesting place to have a meal before or after the game.