“A gem on Central Avenue”
Review of Il Ritorno

Il Ritorno
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Ritorno is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 940 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I shared a bottle of excellent of wine with dinner. The waiter had very nice wine knowledge and paired it well with our meals. The atmosphere was quant and romantic. We both loved our dinners and the service. Our server and server assistant did an outstanding job. I could see other tables were equally impressed with their servers as well.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Excellant Italian resturant. Rates as One of the top five in St Pete. A must visit. They have excellant unusual items on the menu. A rare finf in St Pete

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

A foodie friend recommended this dining establishment...described as amazing ...amazing...food...wine..dessert...arrived and seated...cannot imagine a packed house. .we were the first seated and it was ok comfortable..kinda cozy cramped..our server was well versed and very helpful with the menu selections..excellent menu and the wine selections were awesome. .ordered calabrese and octopus appetizers. .very good but we were underwhelmed ..decided to split an entre. .mezzuluna short rib..also very good..amazing...???not...
Pricey....appetizer portion entre...
With all the great eateries in st pete would not return...

1  Thank carol t
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I went to Il Ritorno, a couple of days ago. The ambiance was very cozy. The people who work there are the friendliest people.
The food is incredible, the combination of food outstanding. The presentation unbelievable.
I think I've found my favorite restaurant in town.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

In reviewing restaurants I always consider their locale. Thus I am much harder on a restaurant in say Chicago, New York, or Boston, then I would be in my home town-St. Petersburg, Florida. It was recently noted that the whole state of Florida had no James Beard chef award nominations and there is good reason for that. Dining here is mediocre at best. With that being said, Il Ritorno is an ambitious attempt to finally raise the bar on dining here. They have mostly achieved that goal. The restaurant on Central Avenue, former site of Mosccato's, has limited table and limited menu. This is all good. Foods are fresh and local when possible. The atmosphere is bistro like and a tad noisy. The service however was prompt and impeccable.

The wine list is adequate but one of my major criticisms is when I am offered bottles of wine for purchase over $100 bottle and there is no vintage listed-in my opinion, this is no-no. I should not have to ask the wait staff to go check in the cabinet for the year. Anyway I ordered a 2011 Decoy Duckhorn Merlot. It was good, but not great, for $48. No where near as good as a Duckhorn's Three Palms but of course not as expensive.

The bread were fantastic, fococcia and ciabata with basil pesto oil. The course selections were fresh and eclectic. The mussels appetizer was fresh and sauce was wonderful. Others had scallops which they said were good. My pompano special was fresh and crispy on outside and delicate on the inside. It was matched beautifully with eggplant puree and broccolini. My wife's mushroom and fava bean pasta with home-made tagatelle was rich but not overly so.

The desserts were inventive and our table of four ordered all three. I like the coconut cake and cannoli best with a small thumbs down on the deconstructed tiramisu.

The prices are not cheap but considering the freshness and quality of preparation well worth the price. Again in any other large city this would be just an average restaurant. Here is St. Pete, this is a hit.