“Pleasant Suprise - location location location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
“Pleasant Suprise - location location location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I originally checked in to this hotel for Business but ended up staying extra nights as I enjoyed it so much. I found the location to be perfect allowing me to walk to pretty much anything I was interested in. I was able to visit the Dali Museum(highly recommended), have 2 great dinners and even grow some wild hair and take a helicopter tour.

I am very keen on walking to explore and have no problem walking 10 miles to see what I want to.
This hotel is truly the perfect location for me (or anyone else who likes to explore) in that respect. The public park on the water is very pretty and literally just across the road.

My room was very nice with agreat view of the water. I did however have to ask for this as the first one they showed me was overlooking a parking lot so the motto is "if you don't ask ..."

The hotel is a very imposing building and looks fantastic. I found myself happy to be walking back to it as it just loooks so nice. It also has a gorgeous front veranda which is great spot to drink a cocktail and watch the world go buy and the outside bar is very popular at night.

Finally the staff were very competent and attentive but I would not rate service as the best I have had but zero complaints.

I will return

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building overlooking harbor.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Turkish first
Huffman, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

This wonderful hotel is in the heart of downtown. We loved the stay and surroundings. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. We enjoyed the location and it was within walking distance of everywhere- you could go to the museums, water, airport, park, etc.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your compliments about our location. It does make it convenient to be centrally located - lots to do and see in the immediate area. After dining with us, there are plenty of choices of dining experiences within walking distances, and of course, all the museums to enjoy that are minutes away including Chihuly; Fine Arts; Dali; Holocaust, etc. We appreciate your response and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had heard so many good things about this historic hotel, but was disappointed in my stay. My bed sheet was ripped, the minimum charge for WiFi was $10.00 (included for free everywhere else I have stayed), and one morning there was a roach in the bathtub.

Although the hotel is beautiful and historic, i will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade for a bay view. My room overlooked pipes.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
As you can imagine, I was so sorry to read your review. With all the glowing remarks that were shared from other guests, I felt so bad to read of your disappointment and to know that you would not return. I understand your concern about the internet charges in the room, but I wanted to point out that the internet is free in the lobby and public areas. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that but perhaps that would have been something you could have taken advantage of. I'm sorry if our staff did not share that with you. If you have a moment, please contact me directly so that we can discuss the chance to regain your confidence. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority, and I would love the opportunity to turn things around for you. I hope to hear from you. 727-824-8028 or jeanette.rivera@renaissancehotels.com.
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

spent 2 nites at the renaissance vinoy for our anniversary. wonderful, charming, elegant resort. . considering that the room rates are over $200 per nite, i think they should include wifi rather than charge $14.99 per day. wifi is available for free in the lobby.
other than that a perfect place for a special occasion

Room Tip: choose the end of the hall for perfect quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Vinoy for 3 nights; October 14-16 while attending a conference. Was I in for a treat! The place is beautiful, built in the 1920's with the charm of the roaring 20's but with modern amenities. This is not a cookie cutter hotel. From the first experience at check-in, I was greeted by a very friendly, helpful and accommodating staff. I felt that the folks who work here seemed to be very happy and willing to go out of their way to serve their guests. My room was large with a beautiful view of the pool and ocean. King bed was comfortable with beautiful linens. Internet was fast and I had no issues logging on. Room service was great as well as the food served. The room service delivery lady stopped to chat and didn't seem overly rushed, I enjoyed visiting with her about the area. This location was very walkable. Across the street were a myriad of lovely outdoor, pet-friendly restaurants. The weather was spectacular so I had the chance to dine in several of these restaurants outside. Nearby were art galleries and lovely shops. I wish I could have stayed longer and was sad to check out. Next time I'm bringing my husband! This was a truly unexpected jewel.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the pool and ocean
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel has a very interesting history that dates back to the early 1900's. It was restored mid-century in keeping with the original design, and is a beautiful landmark. We stayed in the "tower", which is the newer area of the hotel with balconies off of each room. It was worth the extra expense. Our room was spacious, well appointed and had a nice view of the bay. The fitness center is very large with every piece of equipment you could imagine. They offer fitness classes, golf, tennis - you name it. Although we did not use the spa, there were many amenities and services there. Nice, large pool with a relaxing sun deck. I really can't say enough good things about our experience here - we spent 6 nights and enjoyed every minute of it. The service was incredibly good. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of the bay, several parks, and many restaurants and shops. All of our meals while on the property were very good...especially the eggs at breakfast. We tried a different form of eggs each morning and they were incredibly good.

Room Tip: Request an upgrade to a bayview room
Dearborn, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We booked the Vinoy through an Expedia package. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly Valet staff. If you want to valet, it's $20 a day. If you want to park yourself, I think it was $15 a day. I opted for the valet. Not a huge savings to walk. They had no problems with us coming and going, so it worked out better. During our check in, we were offered a balcony upgrade, but for an addition $20 a night. We declined the upgrade for a fee, hoped they would upgrade as a nice gesture, but no dice. The basic room was fine, we didn't need anything fancy. The hotel itself is beautiful and well maintained. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to help you. They do have an outside bar on the front patio with nice seating. It was very relaxing and enjoyable to use, unfortunately, it closed at 10pm and you needed to use the restaurant bar if you wanted to continue to get drinks. This was during the week, so they may stay open later during the weekend. The pool (heated) was very nice and the did have a wait staff serving food and beverages. The only food we ordered was some bar snacks, they were good but pricey. The only problem we experienced was a billing error at check out. Like I said, Expedia paid the hotel, but they accidentally charged me for the stay again. No issues getting it resolved. Overall, we enjoyed the hotel, but we might want to experience a new hotel if we traveled back to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Petersburg
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,310 reviews
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!