The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
atlanta
“Excellent Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We spent two days in St. Pete at this hotel. It was a leisurely stay with our kids. Pool was heated to 82 degrees, gym was great, along withe the food and rooms. I highly recommend this hotel on your next stay in St Pete! Only downside was food/parking is very pricey, though expected at a place like this.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

The Vinoy is absolutely the best. About six months ago, I stayed at the Vinoy with my wife and three kids for Father’s Day. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we decided to return for our next vacation, which turned out to be Christmas.

At first, I wasn’t sure we should take the kids to St. Petersburg for Christmas. After all, palm trees and sail boats don’t exactly fit the classic Christmas post card image. But, I really wanted to go back to the Vinoy. When I read, on the website, that the Vinoy’s pool would be open, and heated, I knew I could convince the kids to forego a more traditional Christmas setting.

In the end, we were actually able to have it both ways. The kids were able to swim in the pool on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning, they opened presents next to the Vinoy’s beautiful tree. After opening presents, they went swimming again. Then, that night, we walked through the city’s Christmas lights display, in the park right across the street from the Vinoy. I can’t imagine a better Christmas.

Once again, however, it was the people that made our stay a truly wonderful experience. As before, John Gernenz went out of his way to help me set up my reservations. When we arrived, there was a card from John in our room welcoming us back to the Vinoy on top of a tray of breads, cheeses, and gourmet cupcakes for the kids. My wife was so impressed that she said, half joking, “Can we just live at the Vinoy?!”

John Gernenz is the epitome of a professional. But, it wasn’t just the managers who made us feel welcome. We were made to feel welcome by every member of the staff. Despite the fact that they were working through the holiday, every member of the staff we encountered wished us an enthusiastic merry Christmas. Matt, one of the cooks at Alfresco’s, even came out of the kitchen to surprise my kids with some vanilla ice cream.

The Vinoy is an architectural masterpiece, inside and out. Built in 1925, it has history. Situated between parks on the edge of Tampa Bay, overlooking the Pier, it has location. It has a marina, a golf course, tennis courts and a spa. But, it’s the staff that makes it great; the attention to detail, the personal touches, the genuine friendliness.

When check-out time arrived, I purchased a stone plaque with a vintage post card image of the Vinoy painted on the front. As I reached in my wallet, my seven year old son told the woman behind the store counter, “My dad loves this hotel.” He’s right. I’ll be back with the family just as soon as I can.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jessetgreene
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for staying with us over the holiday. So glad that you and your family enjoyed the warm weather, palm trees and your stay at the Vinoy. I enjoyed your priceless story of your son pointing out your love of this property. We appreciate the positive feedback and look forward to your return in the future. Happy New Year!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Vinoy over Thanksgiving and truly enjoyed all the Vinoy had to offer. We particularly enjoyed the historical aspect and the buildings architecture. Our experience was off to a great start when greeted at the front porch by hotel staff upon our arrival, and the hospitality throughout our stay. It was a great pleasure enjoying cocktails at the front porch bar, relaxing at the pool lounge area, dinning at the hotel, and carousing around the lovely village of St Pete's.

• Stayed November 2013
Westbury, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Before our arrival I contacted the hotel's concierge to arrange for private transportation from the Tampa Airport to the hotel. I explained that I needed a vehicle which would accommodate a motorized mobility scooter. in just a few minutes time, my transportation needs were taken care of. After answering several questions on what our interests are, we were furnished with great recommendations for dining and sight seeing. Water front property, beautiful lobby, well furnished rooms, lovely restaurants and a truly caring staff ensures a memorable stay. I did not use the spa but it looked inviting.

Room Tip: Our room had a hot tub on the balcony - a great idea to relax and enjoy your privacy
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Vinoy the first weekend in December. We could not have picked a better location for a quick weekend getaway. Every staff member we encountered from check-in, to valet to the concierge offered the most outstanding service. The heated pool was lovely during the day and the live music on the patio in the evenings was enjoyable. It was a pleasant surprise to discover a winter festival of lights occurring the same weekend in the park just in front of the Vinoy. The lights were beautiful. We had drinks and appetizers on the patio, everything was delicious. There are several great restaurants in walking distance from the hotel, but not much shopping. We did not have to get in the car all weekend. Definitely a perfect location for a short weekend getaway.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the tea garden which was very close to the lobby elevators. Our friends w...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Living in the Tampa Bay area, I have always been fascinated by the Vinoy Hotel. I have gone there several times for dinner or drinks, but had never stayed there until late October. I spent one night there, but wished I would have spent the entire weekend. My room was in one of the newer tower overlooking the pool. The room was large and very clean. There were several events going on at the hotel, but you wouldn't have known it unless you were in the main lobby. Every one at the hotel was very friendly and accommodating. I look forward to my upcoming stay in 2014.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
DeLand, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I was here for two nights for business. I decided to take my wife along and I am so glad I did. The room was large and quite. I am a Marriott Gold Elite member and have come to expect good things from the Marriott hotel brand. I travel often to Washington DC and Miami and have become accustomed to the JW line of quality. Although not a JW the Vinoy measured up. The lobby was wonderfully decorated for Christmas and the hotel staff was warm and friendly. It felt like a museum and a five star hotel rolled up in one. The pool area was awesome! Heated water and extremely large with plenty of area to relax. My wife indulged in the spa and really enjoyed all it had to offer including her favorite spa treatment, the steam room. Defiantly coming back with the kid. St Petersburg downtown was also very enjoyable. Very comparable to Brickel area of Miami financial district. The park even had a manger scene (shocking now days).

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,326 reviews
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!