The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Gainesville, Florida
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Was our first time at the Renaissance. We came there for a conference. From the moment we pulled up to parking service we were greeted a treated with excellenct customer service. The staff was AWESOME the food and bar staff was GREAT. The hotel itself is beautiful. Its a place where you can take family or do a couples weekend. Very romantic. Rooms were clean and smelled fresh. I inspect everything. I had to wipe down the bathroom with clorox wipes. That was just my personal perference. I will let you know that there are alot of conferences, meetings and conventions at this hotel. We were there on business as well but the staff and event planners managae everything well enough to where it doesnt interfere with vacationing guest
I was very impressed. Definitely met my standards. Love it! We plan on coming again for a mini vaca the surrounding area around the resort is beautiful as well with lots to do!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Turkish first
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

The Vinoy is old and tired!! The service across the board is poor! The valet, bartenders, and front desk personnel all have frowns on their faces. Their uniforms are old and dingy. I travel 250 days a year for both business and pleasure.

Stay somewhere else!!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Food1canobie
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. On behalf of the entire staff here, I must say that we were surprised and so disappointed to read your comments. Our goal is to provide excellent overall satisfaction, but I sense that wasn't the case for you. It is rare that someone has a stay such as you described and comments so negatively so I'm wondering how we might change your mind and encourage you to return. I would ask that you call me directly so we might discuss the areas that you mentioned. It sounds like you travel a lot so we value your opinion and would love the change to regain your confidence. I look forward to hearing from you and providing a more positive experience for you to share. Thank you.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife and I made a last minute decision to stay at the Vinoy as part of our 20th anniversary celebration.

As frequent travelers and residents of Orlando it is easy to become Resort-Weary however the Vinoy wowed us. Upon first sight, the Vinoy instantly evokes a slightly relaxed reflection of the grand old days of privileged travel. From the gleaming pink stucco tower, rising high above the palm tree lined entrance, down to the argyle socked valet attendants, you become aware that this is not your typical FL resort.

First Impression - Super attentive valet service. Friendly forthright staff. We were greeted properly (with eye contact - a rare thing these days) and felt welcomed instantly. The grounds were beautifully maintained.

The Lobby - WOW. Historic but not a museum. The sophisticated and modern decor feels trendy yet classic with a pleasing almost caribbean color palette and european flair. Beautiful ceilings with ornate plaster reliefs and pecky cypress beams, rise above original tiled floors and are illuminated with Chihuly chandeliers... world class.

Check in - The check in process was equally impressive. I knew from searching online that there were vacancies, but we had no reservation. (I am not recommending that you show up without a reservation. That is just how our trip went) The front desk attendant was knowledgeable, engaging and attentive. When we mentioned it was our anniversary he searched and found us a room with a balcony (we prefer a balcony). Then after congratulating us, he asked if he could have complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries sent up to our room. He then said "Since it is your anniversary I assume you would like a late check out" cute and appreciated.

The Room - not large but we had a opted for a regular room and were not expecting a multi room suite. We had also opted for the historical part of the resort and not the newer adjacent tower. The room was clean and well appointed with a large comfortable bed, desk, chair and ottoman and dresser which also housed the room safe, mini bar and coffee supplies. The bathroom was large and had a separate room for the toilet. A nice feature. Our balcony was small but we enjoyed opening the doors and feeling the breeze off the harbor. I would consider the room a bargain

The Food - As a coffee snob I enjoyed the Veranda Cafe located in the lobby. They brew illy coffee and espresso and feature a nice array of baked goods and sundries. I sipped my triple latte from a rocking chair on the veranda while watching the sun rise over the harbor. Waiting for my wife to get ready upstairs of course. Marchand's Bar & Grill - lives up to it's reviews. Everything you would expect from a great restaurant in a great hotel.

The Bottom Line - This is a wonderful historic hotel. A Grand ol Dame who wears her age well. There are thousands of newer hotels with larger rooms and larger pools etc, etc, but most of them try to fake what the Vinoy presents so effortlessly. If you are looking for water slides, arcades and character breakfasts this is not the hotel for you. If, like us, you have traveled and stayed in various hotels you will appreciate the value of the Vinoy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the harbor with a Juliet balcony. There maybe a surcharge for the view/ba...
1 Thank DScobey
Let me begin with "Happy Anniversary!" So glad that your travels brought you to the Vinoy. What an honor it is to have hosted your anniversary celebration here at the Vinoy. Judging by your visit here, it sounds like you may return for future occasions. I certainly hope so. Thank you for your time in completing a review - and a very positive one at that. Your breakdown of the different aspects of your stay were appreciated and would certainly help with the deciding factor on whether someone was deciding to visit or not. It was a pleasure reading the feedback. If I can ever be of assistance with future reservations, please let me know. Thank you and best wishes for many more anniversaries celebrated together.
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We just had an overnight at this marvelous, classic hotel. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. The location is perfect - so close to many fine restaurants, museums, galleries; all within walking distance. The room was adequate with a view of the courtyard. We would definitely come back.

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Enjoyed every minute of our stay. Our room was on the 8th floor even though the elevators only go up to the 7th floor. Really unique interesting room (849). The private balcony overlooking the marina and bay was amazing. The food is top notch and the staff are so pleasant and accommodating! I hope to visit there again soon!

Room Tip: If you want quiet and alone time choose room 849. You won't be disappointed!
1 Thank bouldernole10
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Vinoy and had an absolutely wonderful stay. The first five days of our trip were spent at a terrible rental house in Clearwater Beach (which was made that much worse by incredibly bad weather), so imagine our delight when we pulled up to the beautiful Vinoy hotel on the first sunny day of our trip! The hotel's facade itself is stunning. The architecture, the colors, the design...it really is simply marvelous. The entrance is grand and the lobby, with it's Chihuly chandeliers, is really lovely. Breaking down our experience:

- SERVICE: I found the service to be absolutely incredible. Nothing was too much to ask, and everyone always had a smile on their faces. Everyone from the servers to the concierge to the front desk staff to the bartenders truly epitomized what a resort experience should be about.

- ROOMS: We stayed in a garden view room which overlooked the tennis courts. View was not the best, but the balcony was nice. The rooms were large and comfortable but I was unimpressed with the overall decor. It felt more like your standard business hotel than a luxury resort.

- LOCATION: Amazing, amazing, amazing location. It sits on the beautiful marina and is right in the center of everything. You are within a 10 minute walk from dozens of restaurants, bars, parks, shops, museums, etc. There are tons of walking paths and opportunities to explore the lovely little town of St. Pete.

- FOOD: We had lunch and breakfast at the hotel and really enjoyed both. Simple, reasonably priced food but it was obvious that they had put a lot of thought into the menus.

- DECOR: This is a totally personal preference, but I myself wasn't in love with the overall decor scheme. I saw pictures of the hotel when it was first reopened in the 90's, and I actually preferred the main lobby's decor then as opposed to now! The color palette {blues, greens, purples} and aesthetic {modern...kind of the same design style you see now at so many chain hotels} really didn't fit with the hotel's old-world luxury feel. I wish hotels would realize that sometimes being old is actually a really wonderful thing, and it's not always necessary to follow the current design trends! But again, this is a totally personal preference :)

- POOL: The pool was nice. It was a decent size, but had a really pretty scenic overlook onto the harbor. They have a nice food/drink menu that they will serve to you on your lounge chairs...and we happily spent quite a few hours relaxing with a good. I never found it to be too crowded or too loud...a really lovely place.

Overall we really loved our experience at the Vinoy. The hotel itself is just stunning and the location can't be beat. It had a really fun energy and we enjoyed spending time at the hotel's different bars and sipping cocktails while chatting with fellow guests. That combined with the wonderful service makes for a truly great hotel...definitely recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,313 reviews
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!