“Excellent with minor reservations”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
South Florida
“Excellent with minor reservations”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a top of the line establishment and I found the facilities to be excellent and the staff, regardless of who they were or what capacity they were working in to be just terrific. The location is great too!

However, for such a famous hotel, I did find some minor irritations. The bathroom door was warped on the bottom. No big deal. The iron in the room was an inexpensive lightweight brand, called Voyager. Trying to freshmen up some of my slacks and shirts was a tremendous chore with this cheap plastic toy iron.

I ordered a steak, $36 dollars from room service and it was dry, cool and fairly tasteless.

The "Business Center" is two computers, one printer and one fax. They charge you for everything. About $6 for 15 minutes time on the computer, and $1.38 per pager to print, assuming you can get the printer to print. I was charged for about 6 pages which never printed.

None of these are deal breakers. Just minor irritations.

If it wasn't for these few minor issues I would have awarded five stars.
They do have other computers and printers where you can print your airline boarding pass for free.

Room Tip: I do not think there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Turkish first
Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Long weekend, thought it would be fun to stay overnight at the beautiful Vinoy not far from home and just chill! This building has a fabulous history, major renovations and is a mere stroll from lots of St. Pete eateries, drinkeries, and museums. It is smack dab on the basin and has nearby parks for strolling. What it didn't have was our room ready on time! We waited over an hour, getting a comp drink for our troubles. I'll admit the extra martini made me feel a little better as we moved into the newly refurbished lobby and watched the Rays game in the cozy sitting area that felt like a nicely appointed living room. Our room was ok, but like other parts of the hotel, not meticulously cleaned, a towel was left on the balcony, smudged mirror, and we killed 7 mesquitos in the bathroom. With an extra hour for cleaning a room I expected better. I got a wonderful rate through the Historic Hotel site which prompted this stay as the regular rate is rather high. This was Sunday before Memorial Day-there appeared to be a few weddings going on and the pool was loaded with kids and families. To me this is not really a young family location, the pool is too small accommodate fathers encouraging their kids to jump into the pool right next to others and it felt a bit like a tiny theme park pool. The pool staff was very friendly and appeared to be working hard to keep up with things even as the sky darkened and the wind started picking up and tossing the umbrellas which were taken down quickly! We scampered back to our room to get ready for dinner! All night I heard a TV droning from some other room...could not tell exactly where or I would have called front desk to complain. The views and the balcony rooms are really nice and I still need to get into Marchands as that room is beautiful!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura7Clearwater
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at the Vinoy. We certainly appreciate the positive feedback as well as the constructive criticism. Both help us to learn and grow. Please know that your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments in an effort to focus on the areas that you pointed out. While we certainly tried to prepare in advance for a very busy holiday weekend, it sounds like there were certain circumstances that we might have made improvements to. I do apologize for any frustration and inconvenience you may have been caused. When your travels bring you to this area again, please contact me directly so that I can ensure that we provide a more positive stay for you. Thank you again for your patronage.
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

For years this historic hotel sat abandoned on one of the greatest pieces of land in downtown St. Petersburg. In recent years it has been restored to its original magnificence. All rooms are great, dining and common areas are wonderful, and it's a great place to lay back and enjoy walking to downtown attractions or using the resort amenities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank FloridaBackroads
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed here for a conference for a period of 5 days and this was an excellent hotel and event space on all levels. A unique and interesting property unlike most in Florida. A lot of history and charm to be found here and only steps from Tampa Bay and Downtown St. Pete. If you aren't tied to the beach and looking for a luxe and romantic getaway, wedding location or conference spot, I highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JoshC87
Jeanette R, Manager at The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
After spending five days at a conference here at The Vinoy, you certainly experienced all aspects of our resort and therefore your raving review certainly warrants credit. I appreciate the newly found confidence you have in us and was pleased to read all of your positive comments. Thank you. I hope you will have an opportunity to return to The Vinoy in the near future to explore more of what we have to offer here and in the area. So much to discover! Hurry back.
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Overall it was wonderful. Was a fantastic stay to where I could go on and on. Only thing is, the room need atleast mini-refrigerators. We pay good money to stay there. A fridge is necessary. But loved our stay there

• Stayed May 2014
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Architecturally interesting and fun-great restaurant options, close proximity to downtown St Petersburg activities. Pleasant and helpful staff. Comfortable beds and spacious rooms. Some areas a bit dated.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Escanaba, Michigan
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Vinoy for a conference & it is a beautiful hotel with a lot of charm. My room with a king bed was tastefully decorated & the bed was comfortable. My view left a lot to be desired but I didn't request a certain view at check in so that's my fault.

The room wasn't cleaned until late in the afternoon but I was in meetings for most of the day so it didn't bother me. The food was phenomenal & the employees were very friendly. The location is great & within walking distance of some great restaurants, shops & museums. The Dali museum is definitely worth exploring.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
#8 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Hilton Saint Petersburg Carillon Park
Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg Downtown
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!