“Wonderful place to stay”

The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay in the heart of St. Petersburg. It was built in 1925, but has had several renovations and is really up to date in all respects. The service was fantastic, rooms were nice, clean and quiet. The hotel has a great deal of charm about it, and although there were a lot of people there it did not seem crowded. We stayed three nights there and glad we did.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at the Vinoy on a whim based on the fact it was on the way home and had heard good reviews from friends about the place. We were not disappointed. With it being the holiday they seemed to step it up a little with some of the services that they were providing. Many of them were geared toward children poolside which made it nice since we were traveling with two of them. We originally had purchased a package from one of the online services but apparently there was some miscommunication about the particulars which ended up working out fine as the hotel was running a promotion of their own that had some incentives including a decent rate in itself. Upon arrival the staff was accommodating not sure that the self park which is right close is any savings verse the valet. The front desk was welcoming and helpful as Emily got on the situation with the mix up on the package I had purchased online and got it switched over easily enough. The room in itself was very large looked like it was a retrofit with two double beds. The view from this mezzanine floor room was nothing to brag about as it looked into a side of another building and the crane that Emily assured me accurately so that would not be running the next day due to the holiday.
Now the room did have a major air conditioner leak on the carpet just inside the door and appeared to be another on the carpet just outside the bathroom (not sure what was going on there if it was a leak in the shower or if the a/c leak managed to get all the way over there). That did not create any major inconvenience as it appeared to be new and there was no odor coming from it just wet. In fact did not discover til the morning ready to leave.
That did not distract from the overall experience including the complimentary use of umbrella as it was pouring when we headed out for our walk to supper. Just remember to bring that thing back as they indicated it would result in a 50 yes that is fifty dollar charge for the umbrella if not brought back.
The pool was nice and as previously mentioned a lot of activity which they must have brought in the backups for the day as some of the staff did not seem real well versed in the particulars of some things and over heard one saying about coming in from another property.
We had wanted to get out of the room and requested a late check out which was accommodated with no problem. We then went to the pool and before heading home wanted to shower so went to the health club. Had I known this place was top notch I am used to being in hotels where they throw a couple machines in a room but not this place. I would almost want to go back to try some of the activities I talked myself out of not going to because I imagined it would be rinky dink. This was top notch facility with top notch equipment including spinning bikes.
Oh, should I mention the restaurant as we had an incentive in the package i.e. discount to eat at the breakfast buffet i.e. cash discount and kids eat free. Not sure you can beat that as I would have probably otherwise passed on the buffet which again I have been to many nice brunch buffets and this one definitely held its own. The coffee must have come from the coffee shop as it was equally as good as the coffee I had earlier that morning in the lobby coffee shop.
It was short day and would have liked to have stayed another day if time had allowed as we got an invitation to watch fireworks in the adjoining marina that night had we not had to get home.
All in all I can't say that I have any complaints across the board it was positive experience from start to finish and would make special note to the hotel to compliment Emily in turning around what could have been an opportunity to go south fast but handled in professional efficient manner which I guess help set the tone or mood for the rest of our stayed meaning it was appreciated.
I guess I have no real reason not to give a 5 other than I don't know that I have ever given that to anyone for anything....

Room Tip: not really knowledgeable enough of that to provide that information as I read some reviews but ultim...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Checked in early this past weekend for a wedding - our standard room wasn't yet ready and we were offered an upgrade at a nominal cost and a waiver for internet fees. Staff incredibly helpful and pleasant. Beautiful lobby. Amenities clean. Will recommend to family and stay again next time we visit St. Pete.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Impressed with recent stay at the Vinoy; staff was attentive and very professional. You could sense that they are seriously working on outperforming their sister hotels - the Ritz. This trip we stayed in the Guest Towers and liked much more than the older section. The room was spacious with a beautful view of Tampa Bay. When reserving your room, negotiate the cost of WiFi as it is only free in the lobby (a small thing but expected more). Stays have always been good but you can sense the upgrade and the greater quality.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Callibra
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We spent a weekend here for my husband's birthday. It was a very busy weekend at the hotel having 2 weddings. Our request for a quiet room was granted and we enjoyed a harbor view in the old section of the hotel. The room was very nicely updated and comfortable. Classic Marriott. The staff in all departments were very professional and always helpful. The bar and restaurant staff were friendly, engaging and very pleasant.The food is some of the best you can find in any hotel. The front desk staff were always ready to help with whatever was needed. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. The hotel shows some signs of aging and could use a little TLC. We noticed water dripping from the AC return in our room providing a little shower as you walked from the room toward the door or bathroom. Maintenance arrived promptly, but nothing can be done without major work on the AC in the room. The air intake should not be by the steamy shower. Later I noticed that housekeeping must be used to it because she left towels down to collect the water. OK, it is an historic building with quirks. I get it and can live with it for 2 nights. What I was a little less understanding of was the fire alarm beeping with a low battery at 0500 in the morning. This is a lovely property, but it is probably time to do some updating. Much of the furniture in the room and restaurants is pretty banged up and a bit worn. We had a wonderful stay and would return anytime even though we noticed a few issues.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I stay here every time that I am in St. Pete (always for work) and it's been at least 5 times now. Many thing about the place are excellent. The service ranges from very good to outstanding. The location is very good but I'd much prefer it on a beach. Being on a harbor makes for nice views but you can't use it for anything unless you go out on a boat and I don't. The pool area is nice but nothing special. The rooms and hallways are nice but not ultra-lux by any means. The rooms do tend to be large, which I like. The work out area is huge and fantastic. The food is about the best that I've had at a hotel. The restaurant on site has excellent food. I would go there even if I wasn't staying at the hotel. The prices at the hotel are almost always very reasonable: usually around $200 per night but occasionally more.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Every year my son and I come to St Petersburg to see a ball game and we always stay at the Vinoy. The hotel is beautiful, the restaurants are great and the service is exceptional. The pool is also wonderful. One of the perks about this place is it seems the visiting baseball teams stay here so if your a fan it's pretty cool. You won't be disappointed if you choose the Vinoy for your stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Hollander Hotel
Hollander Hotel
#2 of 43 in St. Petersburg
Hampton Inn and Suites St. Petersburg Downtown

Been to The Vinoy Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!