Parrot Nest
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Seahorse Cottages(Sanibel Island)
Seaside Inn(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
Sunshine Island Inn(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
Sanibel Moorings Resort(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
Song of the Sea(Sanibel Island)
Sanibel Inn(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
Anchor Inn & Cottages(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
All reviewssleep numberbeach towelslighthouse cafegreat showerprivate patioeast end delilaundry facilitieslaid backquiet locationkitchen utensilslight housethe air conditioningkona kaidollhouselinenschairssanibel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I rented suite #2 for my little family of 3 for a week in early December. We had a lovely time at the Parrot Nest. Each morning we loaded up a beach cart provided by the inn and walked the 3 blocks to the beach. The inn also provides beach towels and chairs. The beach is perfect! The shelling is wonderful and the water was warm and shallow for my 2-year-old.

The room had a small kitchenette that met all our needs (but no oven, so don't buy a frozen pizza like I did!). While the room was pretty clean, we did have a small problem with ants in the kitchenette.

The common areas and beach chairs may be in need of a little TLC, but the suites are all very nice. Since it was a low season, I was able to look at all of them. I think suites number 1 and 6 were the nicest and they had private patios unlike ours.

We took a day trip to Cabbage Key from Captiva and really enjoyed it! Beautiful and relaxing. My daugher got to feed the island's 2 turtles. We also enjoyed eating at Island Pizza and had a great brunch at the Over Easy cafe in Sanibel. Gramma Dot's and the marina was pretty good, too. The bike rentals at Billy's Bikes are very reasonable and the bikes are great quality.

Stay for a whole week if you can! We would stay at the Parrot Nest again!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JARMinnesota
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Don't go here!
I guess the reason why this place is so well-rated is because it is a totally different thing coming here out of the high season.
When we arrived, there was nobody there to greet us. In fact, nobody ever shows up. We were the only visitors.
I have never been in such a dirty appartement. The first thing we saw was a cockroach and an ant trail in the bathroom. Half the lights weren't working and the whole area was badly-maintained. The is no house-cleaning, so we had to clean the floor ourselves.
I guess, the owners didn't check our appartement for days before arrival, they just leave the keys for you to open up yourself and don't care at all. So dissapointing.
We complained to the owner Larry about the state the appartement was in, and he refunded us for one night. That was very nice. But he also promised us to send a cleaner (we showed him a white towel which was black after wiping the floor) but the cleaner never came.

For 130 Dollars a night, do yourself a favor and got to the fabulous Island Inn for the same amount. It has a pool directly on the beach, breakfast and is pleasantly clean.

Just don't go here!

Room Tip: don't go here
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank coconuts1234
Brenda C, Manager at Parrot Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2013

Aloha from Sanibel,
Here at the Parrot Nest we strive for perfection when it comes to
cleanliness and anything less is unacceptable. I’m sorry we did not meet
our regular standard of perfection during your visit.

Customer dissatisfaction is never acceptable. And while we want everything
to be perfect upon check-in, we also want to be told of problems so we have
the chance to rectify any issues. With the beautiful weather we were
enjoying in November, the windows that look over our slice of Paradise were
open to let in the fresh air. Perhaps that is why the floor was dusty. I am
sorry if that was the case. NO guest who has ever stayed at the Parrot Nest
has been denied housekeeping if there was a rare problem and one was
requested.
My concern is that if our Suite was as dirty as you describe then why did
you stay for three nights with your babyand accept one night refund as a token gesture towards complete guest satisfaction?

We do not have a Larry on staff but Lenny would have washed the floor
himself as WE are the housekeepers. Unfortunately another constant of
island life is the occasional bug or ant trail could materialize at any
time and for no apparent reason. Our units are treated monthly by a
national pest company but occasionally ants will defy treatment. I believe
that your concern was addressed as soon as Lenny was notified as are all
concerns.

Your posted photos show the fire pit after an apparent bon fire had taken
place and an outside chair with a comfy cushion that has been pushed back
to show a repair to the seat. I do not believe this is representative of
the complaints you put on Trip Advisor about our family's inn.

We love the Parrot Nest but as the Nest has only 6 Suites in total on over
an acre of tropical land we can not be on site 24 hours a day. We do
however live 5 minutes from the Nest and could be there Whenever a guest
would call. For later arriving guests we leave a note of welcome with clear
instructions on how to reach us for Anything. We spend time every single
day at the inn and may have missed you as you enjoyed the island beaches
which are only a 5 minute walk from our quiet and private location on the
East end of the island.

We truly strive to make our guests happy and we’re sorry we did not meet
your expectations. Our guarantee to every Parrot Nest guest is that every
complaint, small or major is taken very seriously and will always be
addressed.

I see from your Trip Advisor history that 1/3rd of your reviews are rated
average or less. I am truly sorry that you have encountered so many places
that did not meet your expectations. I am so sorry that we have been added
to that list.
Most sincerely,
Brenda.............parrot in charge

Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is not on the water. It is a set of 6 villas. There are 2 connected by porch for the most part. It was extremely clean. The bed is extremely comfortable. We slept in til after eleven. The tvs are not flat screen but have a lot of channels to choose from. The rooms are very good size. The bathroom was stocked with towels which made it feel homey. The room had a sofa- futon like and 2 rattan chairs. It had a table by the window. The kitchen was cute. It was well stocked. While it did not have a freestanding stove it had an electric burner you could plug in. The burner actually had 2 burners on it. The air conditioner worked well and was quite quiet. The bed, air conditioner and ceiling fan could be controlled by remotes- thoughtful touch for an older or handcapped guest. Outside of the unit there were bbq grills. There was a separate laundry area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I am staying at the Parrot Nest for 10 days and am about in the middle of my total days and I must say I am loving this place. I work out of Fort Myers when I travel to Florida and decided to stay on Sanibel since I was here so long and it was a great choice. The drive isn't bad at all down Summerlin Road and well worth the extra 15 minutes. The cost of staying here was less than staying at the Marriott I usually frequent plus it is authentically cottagy, home like and less sterile.

Brenda and Lenny the owners, are attentive to details and have treated me like a friend, My room, #2, is super cute, Brenda is an awesome decorator. This room is done in mid-century modern in brown, turquoise and pale lime green with authentic touches like 50's lamps and a zenith old time radio alarm. My bed is comfortable and I have slept like a log (sleep number, feather pillows, really cold air conditioning), The room is spacious and squeaky clean. And the kitchenette is well appointed with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and all the dishes and utensils you need to make a meal. I see Lenny and staff cleaning rooms and the grounds all the time, I can tell they take pride in their little Sanibel jewel.

Brenda and Lenny have everything you need for the beach including backpack chairs, umbrellas, beach towels and shell buckets. There is a small beach just across a parking lot and down a short road but I rode my bike (thank you Lenny!) to the lighthouse beach about a 1/4 mile away because it had wider white and beaches and the shell hunting was fabulous.

The garden and patio area is well appointed and jungly but in the summer it is too hot to be out there except early mornings for coffee. I haven't used the grills that are available but I may before I have to leave.

Lenny and Brenda also own the Kona Kai motel two miles away on Periwinkle Road and guests at the Parrot Nest can use their pool there which I did one day and it was a nice alternative to the beach.

There is no daily housekeeping since these are efficiencies but there are cleaning supplies available as well as extra linens. There is also a washer and dryer available to use which I will use the day before I go home so I won't have to take home dirty laundry.

I will come back here every time I am working in the area and am thrilled to have found such an amazing spot.

Room Tip: All the rooms are clustered around a central patio, I can't imagine there is a bad one in the bunch.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sfOKC
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed at the Parrot Nest for 3 days. The apartment was clean and well stocked with towels.
The sleep number bed was not our favorite. We never did get to meet the inkeepers.
The inn is at near lighthouse beach. Very nice and quiet area.
We both wished the inn had a pool. It would have felt good to jump in after a hot day at the beach.
Took a ride on the Sanibel Thriller. A lot of fun. Would do it again.

We liked our stay but I think next time we would enjoy a spot closer to the main restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Brenda C, Manager at Parrot Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Aloha from Sanibel,
Thank you for finding our accommodations clean and well stocked as we have equipped, cleaned and decorated each Suite with our own hands and hearts.
Sorry you did not enjoy your Sleep Number bed dressed in 800 thread count linens and piled with hypo allergenic feather down pillows and covered with all cotton quilt. Most guests find our beds a main reason to return year after year.
Also, as we now have two inns in our Sanibel family of inns, our guests of the Parrot Nest are welcome to come and swim at our sister inn, the Kona Kai of Sanibel, anytime the pool is open.
Perhaps the Kona Kai which is in the heart of the island would have been a better choice for you than the privacy, romance, seclusion and quiet offered by the Parrot Nest's location.

Mahalo for your thoughts, Brenda......parrot in charge