“Looking forward to returning!”

Sundial Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I just visited the Sundial Resort this weekend, and I have to say, what a wonderful and very friendly place! There is great access to the beautiful beach and a great pool with a fun little slide to keep the kids busy--that is when they aren't playing ping pong, or getting their hair braided, biking, or in the aquatic center...! They also have kayaks which are free to hotel guests! Its really a great place for all ages!
The outdoor bar is great--really big and the two bartenders working were top notch. Great service and very friendly! We had a few drinks, appetizers, and a salad from the menu and everything was very tasty!
All in all this was a great resort, we will be back! Looking forward to the newly renovated day spa to open for our next visit! :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Julio M, Manager at Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Erin C.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Great to see you had a great time, and thank you for your kind words about our staff and our food.
Executive Chef Criss Menassa has certainly taken the food to the next level and it only keeps getting better.
Not sure when you are planning your next visit, but I can tell you that Sundial Beach Resort is getting better and better every day.
Make sure you ask for me your next time around, and thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination.

julio.morales@sundial resort.com
239-395-7231

Write a ReviewReviews (2,453)

Reviewed 14 March 2014

From the time we arrived at the resort to the time we left, we had a blast. The staff was Absolutely amazing, always so friendly and wonderful attitudes! Made us feel so special and welcome. Our servers in the Seabreeze restaurant were awesome! Joey was so attentive with his huge smile. Rose was so warm and kind and we just loved them both. Kevin in the Waterview made our last night just perfect and also waited on us for breakfast. The food was always delicious. Seafood chowder was the best I've ever had. At the tiki bar Jason and Mike and another Kevin were so friendly and made you feel like you were in paradise. They also did a fantastic job. Be sure to take advantage of the Happy Hour menu. Best homemade chips and sauces ever! Berry was always at the towels and bike and started our day off great with his positive attitude and charm. The bikes were great and we enjoyed touring Sanibel via bike. Our condo was perfect always lots of towels toiletries coffee etc. we never had to ask for a thing. Beach chairs and umbrellas were plentiful. Nothing negative to say other than we eventually had to leave. I'd go back in a heartbeat! My compliments to the management!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Julio M, Manager at Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Lamblake:
Thank you so much for taking the time and writing a review on your recent visit.
I am so glad to see that you experience great guest service here at Sundial Beach Resort. We surely strive for great service and be reading your review we did very well.

It is great to see some one taking the time on getting employees names and mentioning specific people on a review. We will make sure that we communicate with each one of them and tell them what a difference they made on your experience with us.

We hope that as with many other people this will become your vacation destination of choice for the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My third stay here in 4 years and nothing negative to say. Very nice apartments. Upgraded, cheerful, nice furniture.

Three restaurants on site. Reasonably priced happy hour specials.

Several pools. Fitness center.

Next time I come to sanibel which will probably be next year, I'll stay here. Have eve considered buying.

Dear Goldenstimes2:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review on your recent stay. I am exited to see that things are getting even better in the future here at Sundial Beach Resort. There are many other enhancements heading our way, so next time you will see us you will be even happier!!
Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great food, great service, ate there twice for lunch and attended a happy hour there.
The caesar salad with salmon was good and the cheeseburger was awesome.
Happy hour and has nice little appetizers, we tried the homemade chips with pimiento cheese, very nice.
Waitstaff super friendly, very attentive! Would definitely recommend for a great lunch spot.
Look up Paul the bartender, he will take care of you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gail C

So great to see you got to enjoy our great service at the restaurant.
Highly recommend for you to try one of my personal favorites next time you are here, the clay pot grouper!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, be sure to ask for me next time you are here.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I had read Trip Advisor's reviews of Sundial which referenced a work down appearance and discussed my concerns with my travel agent. She then talked to this resort who assured her that apartments had been remodeled due to feedback like this.
So we signed on. We paid a lot of money per day for an apartment with soiled and worn furniture. The apartment was clean but smelled of clorox which was not very appealing.
Our travel agent believed while we were not directly on the beach that we would have a water view. We looked out a a solid wall of a building in front of us.
Out dinner the first evening was mediocre and the service was non-existant. By the time we were served at 9 Pm, we were the last people in the restaurant. I had a pasta with mixed sea food, which in reality had only pieces of one kind of fish. When I questioned what I had received, the server went away and somewhat later return with two very small shrimp to add to my dish.
We celebrated our anniversary while there and our son tried to have a bottle of wine delivered to us as a surprise. He got the run around for a while, and finally gave up.
We did not use the beach or pool facilities. We had not come for these amenities so i cannot really comment on them. The resort is directly on the water.
if you have a big family and are coming for sun and fun, this may be fine, but if you are accustomed to some quality of service and a nicer apartment, I would look elsewhere. We will certainly not be back.
The people at reception were courteous and informative, but could do nothing about our accommodations.

Room Tip: If you are paying for a beach vacation, be sure your apartment is actually on the beach with a beach...
1  Thank janeaustinNY
Julio M, Manager at Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Jane:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay.

We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.
Thank you again.

julio.morales@sundilaresort.com

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We had a 1 bedroom condo with and ocean view for 10 days. Thay advertise high speed WiFi which was not the case. If you wanted to use your I pad at 2 AM you may have a chance. When I mentioned this to the front desk they recommended that I try to use my Ipad when people are out. That is when I want to be out also not sitting in my room. The main restaurant in the complex is only open Thur thru Sat. and that is during the peak season. the people at the front desk treat all customers as though they have stayed there every year. They give no information on amenities, which are paid for through a $20 per day per person or $100 per person per week Resort Fee. They wanted to place a $500 hold on my credit card for incidentals. I objected and said I would pay cash for any incidentals and agreed to a $50 hold. The woman then ripped up cards with our names on them and said we wouldn't need them. It turned out we needed them to access the amenities. One person at the front desk asked if I would like to speak to a manager, I said yes and they transferred me to his voice mail and he never returned my call. The island was beautiful but I would never return to the Sundail.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
1  Thank Hank3667

Dear Hank 3667:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay.
Yes, the associations are working on getting new internet provider on the condos. I am sure that while you were here you noticed that the internet service in the Main building was more than adequate.
I am surprised that you mentioned that you did not received a call back after reaching out to someone.
If possible I would like to talk to you to get some more details and to be sure that we better our experience for the future.
Please feel free to call me at 239-395-7231 or email me your contact information at Julio.morales@sundilaresort.com.
Thank you again for your feedback!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We spent a week at Sundial, our third time in four years (twice rented through the resort, once rented privately). The main difference for us with the current ownership is that we had free use of the resort bicycles - in the past we've rented bikes for about $40/week each (x4). It was great to have this included, and the bikes were in much better shape than the last time we were there. We had no problem getting what we needed when we wanted (adult bikes, kids bikes, and tandems).

The staff at the pool was much better than in the past - they were pleasant and helpful. Several years ago we found that they pretended you were not there waiting to get a towel. We also felt much less hassled by staff walking around the pool checking for wrist bands.

My kids would have liked to participate in some of the arts and crafts, but the prices were ridiculous - we were not going to pay $6-8 each for a little project that we would then just throw out. I know, I'm cheap, but when I'm paying a lot for the resort it seems like little bottle of sand art could be included in the price.

A couple of points that keep me from giving a 5 star review. The sofabed mattress was horrible! I know it's a sofabed, but it was lumpy and bumpy enough that my kids really complained. It was a bit better when we took the mattress off the sofa and just put it on the floor.

One thin cotton blanket was provided for the sofabed. We arrived late and needed to get the kids straight into bed - they slept in their clothes and sweaters (what they were wearing when we left Massachusetts in a blizzard). The next day I asked for extra blankets, which helped, but three thin cotton blankets were still not enough. A decent blanket or comforter would help with comfort immensely.

Housekeeping. I never know how I'm expected to deal with housekeeping during a week-long stay. I would like to leave a tip at the end, but I realize that it might not be the same person cleaning all week. The first day everything was cleaned perfectly, the second day not as well (all the hand towels were taken away, but no new ones were left, the decaf coffee was not replaced, little things like that). Just out of curiosity, I left a tip on the third morning, and the service was perfect again that day. It then deteriorated for the last few days (one day the pile of wet towels we left on the bathroom floor was still there after the room had been serviced, and on our final day we got clean towels - but only 2 of them for 4 people). I feel like tipping is supposed to be a reward for good service, not a payment in advance for any service. Honestly, we were happier when we rented a unit privately that did not include housekeeping - this way we were not expecting a service that we might or might not get.

Our apartment was quite nice. The kitchen was just barely well enough supplied for basic cooking (we cooked most of our own meals). Two TVs (but the remotes didn't work on the DVD player, which we could barely make work using the buttons on the machine - we could get it to play, but not to access any menus).

Overall, we had a very enjoyable trip. My kids love the main pool and the slide, which is the only reason we rented from the resort rather than privately. We got a great deal when we booked (I would never, ever, pay the $300+/night rates that show up on reservations page), and we will return in the future if we can find a good deal again.

Room Tip: We had a "coastal view" room, with a bit of a view of the Gulf. While it was very pleasan...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rachelsjunkmail

Dear Rachel:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.
I am glad to see that you and your family had a great time and you could appreciate the difference between renting thru the resort versus a private rental company.

We are hoping that when you come back we will even have Paddle Boards in addition to our bikes, kayak's, beach loungers and umbrellas included in our great amenity package.
I would like to know what unit you stayed at so we can communicate with its owner regarding their sofa bed.
Feel free to call me or email me.
Thank you again for your feed back and we look forward to seeing you again.

julio.morales@sundialresort.com

#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
South Seas Island Resort
South Seas Island Resort
#2 of 4 in Captiva Island

Been to Sundial Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!