“Great get away”

Sundial Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Love the sundial - been going there for years. Beautiful or on the beach and relaxing laid back atmosphere. Was told they were building a children's water park are but it has yet to be built?! Otherwise kids love the beach and the one slide at the main pool.

Room Tip: T202 has been our favorite unit
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tara F
Julio M, Manager at Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Tara F.:
So great to see that you have been coming here for so long. I am sure that you could attest how far we have come lately.
By the beginning of the 2015 it will be such a great property!! We are not 100% clear yet on the scope of work, so I could not tell you about a kids "park"

Thank you again for taking the time to write this great review, and please make sure that next time you are in the area ask for me. Would love to say Hi and Thank You.

Director of Services

Write a ReviewReviews (2,453)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Half of the property units have been renavated but, of course, we were put in one that wasn't updated and probably paid the same as those in a renavated unit. The light panals in the bathroom were falling down and the toilets didn't flush very well. Housekeeping didn't clean that well. No fresh towels and the bathrooms weren't cleaned. The resort itself needs quite a bit of work as it looks very dated and run down. Also, we were expecting more activities for the kids. They had log rolling in the pool one afternoon and that was pretty much it. The food was ok and quite expensive. We travel quite a bit so we have stayed at some exceptional places; therefore, our expectations are high when it comes to spending a lot of money on a resort. To sum things up, this resort was not worth the money we paid. Sorry Sundial, you were quite disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jennifer P
Julio M, Manager at Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Jennifer P:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. Yes, we are hoping to have all our units finished by the end of this year. Many of them are not done just yet. I will be sure to pass along the Housekeeping comments along. I am very surprised about your comments about housekeeping. We hear so many great things about our housekeeping that it is surprising.
If possible, I would like to talk to you about your recent stay.
I don't like when our guests are not satisfied after leaving so again I would like to have more info and see how we could turn you around.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Great resort. Beautiful island. Will definitely be back next year. Biking and shelling are the highlight. You have to visit ding darling, baileys, and historical Sanibel. Ask for Gene at Sundial on the beach, the friendliest, most knowledgable person there.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Sheryl J:
Thank you so much for your great review. I am so glad to see that you and your family had a great time with us.
Yes, the beaches here are one of my favorites. And Gene is a great guy! Everyone gets to enjoy his big smile out at the beach every day.
Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I love the 4th floor view. We were the furthest away from the resorts main beach but in the end it was the best location on the beach. We rented chairs, umbrellas and paddle boards from another vendor. They delivered and picked up at the beach. We brought snorkel gear for our teens. They swam close to dolphins every day, found hundreds of live sand dollars and several starfish. Sea turtles laid their eggs in several areas around our beachfront. Great restaurants on the island. Recommend a guiding fishing day. My son caught a shark:) A great getaway without a commercialized beach, very natural setting...

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Kristilynj:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I am glad to see that you and your family enjoyed your time with us.
We actually offer Bikes and Beach chairs here on property so I am hoping that you didn't have to pay an outside company.
Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We had a great stay this past April at the Sundial. Very relaxing, beautiful location, plenty of amenities. We had a 2-br. apartment that was lovely and had a fantastic view of the ocean. We enjoyed the tiki bar by the pool, and my daughters had fun playing some of the pool games one afternoon, and getting their hair braided and henna tattoos. I overheard a staff member say they were doing some renovations of the pool area over the summer...was wondering if they were doing the gym, too, as it was a bit dreary. Otherwise, my only minor gripes are that beforehand, I contacted the staff to ask for suggestions on what to do with my son, who was on crutches with a broken ankle, and I got no response. Also, a couple times we asked the maids to come back later and they never returned. But all in all, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear EllenHE2013:
I am very happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay back in April. I am not sure why you didn't get a reply on your msg about what to do in the area. If possible if you could please send me the email address you used. I would like to be sure that it is working.
Yes, the fitness room is in the scope of work. It's going to be great!

Thank you again for your review.

Julio.morales@sundialresort.com

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very happy with the stay, we will always enjoy the beautiful beaches and facilities, truly a place to vacation and relax.
My family am very pleased with the beautiful beaches and especially the sunset is spectacular

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Carlos F.:
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you and your family had a great time with us.
We will be sure to share it with our staff.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

One bedroom king room included all amenities - full kitchen with microwave, coffee maker, cable TV and free (albeit poor quality) internet access. Beach chairs, towels, umbrellas, kayaks and coaster bikes all included at no extra charge.Sundial personnel were all very friendly and competent. Great location to relax, with comprehensive bike trails on the island and many nearby restaurants.

Only issue was room location. Building C where we stayed is pretty far from the lobby and main facilities. We paid extra for an ocean view but felt cheated with only a narrow sliver of a view from far away. Make sure when you reserve to get the right building as well as the desired type of room. The former is key.

Room Tip: Make sure when you reserve to get the right building in this complex as well as the desired type of...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ralph B

Dear Ralph B.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay.
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. I agree about our units are equipped with everything. It makes it very easy and comfortable.
On your view, I do understand your comments. I will be sure to look at that building and the explanations we have out there.
Thank you again for your feedback. We do take this very seriously and we go over it with all staff and Mgmt.
Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
South Seas Island Resort
South Seas Island Resort
#2 of 4 in Captiva Island

Been to Sundial Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!