“Nice vacation”

Sundial Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
“Nice vacation”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay an Sundial Beach Resort. Check-in and check-out were a breeze. Our room was comfortable and spacious and we were steps to the beach and pools. Our 15-year old son loved the poolside ping-pong and the tennis courts. We took advantage daily of the available bicycles and rode on the many trails around the island and to the lighthouse. While the resort is not in walking distance of shops or restaurants other than what is on-site it was just a short drive to Periwinkle Way. (Definitely within biking distance but the resort does not rent bikes after 6:00 p.m. so that was not an option for dinner). The young folks who run the desk with bikes/towels/kayaks, etc. are awesome - cheerful and always helpful. Actually all of the staff we dealt with--front desk, restaurant, Tiki bar--were great. If I were going to change one thing, I would add umbrellas at the main pool. Some of the lounge chairs are under the roof which provides shade but there are no umbrellas at all for other seating. We would definitely return to this resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FFXVA
Julio M, Manager at Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear FFXVA:
Thank you for your feedback. I am very glad to see that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and our amenities. I believe that we have a great Activities crew so I'm glad to see that you mention them in your review.
We will take the umbrella comment under consideration for the future. We do look at these and make sure that we listen to what our guests are saying.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we hope to see you back soon.

Director of Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to walk into a large, one bedroom condo. I don't know why, but we were expecting a regular hotel room. It had a large living room, king sized bed, full kitchen, full sized bath. There was a large screened in patio. The resort is much larger than we expected, but there were multiple pools to accommodate the number of guests. They provide beach cruisers and kayaks, lounge chairs. The staff was attentive, and answered any and all requests promptly. We ate in their restaurant while listening to live music (food was so-so but Joey our server was awesome). We loved every minute of it. We will definitely be back and have already recommended it to friends

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Kelly B
Dear Kelly B.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. Joey is a great guy!! I will say that we are looking at changing the menus and Chef Criss has some awesome items heading our way. So please be sure to give us a taste next time you are back.
Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon.

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The place was exceptional and the room we stayed in with a gulf view was amazing.The only thing I could of asked for was a vending machine somewhere on property instead of being forced to use the restaurant. Excellent location, great shelling and great staff.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Chuck W
Julio M, Manager at Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Chuck W.
Thank you for taking the time for writing your review for your recent visit.
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure to share your thoughts on the vending machines. Not sure that there is a whole lot we can do about it but I will make sure it is taken under consideration.
Thank you again for your feedback!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 17 June 2014

overall relaxed-report was slow ,training new staff before the summer rush. overall was a good place. I guess june has more people and activity. The pool slow a few people same with Tiki Bar not waiting.

Room Tip: we had ocean view-bright and clean
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Pam B
Julio M, Manager at Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Pam B.
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, May is a somewhat slower month in the year.
It always makes it nice for relaxing!
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review on your stay.

We hope to see you back soon!

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My family and I stayed here in mid-May. We were lucky to have very warm, wonderful weather, so we took full advantage of the pool. The room we stayed in was very nice and clean, and the kitchen was well-stocked (even coffee liters, which I had been warned about). The lanai was one of the best features, as it was great to be able to sit outside and enjoy the weather and not have to worry about bugs.

I would've given this a higher review if it hadn't been for 2 things:
1. The pools weren't kid-friendly. There needs to be a zero-entry in at least one of these for smaller children who aren't 4 feet tall (I think the most shallow part of the main pool was 3ft 6 inches)
2. The staff was ridiculously rude, and that was when you could find them. In the morning, when I'd ask for an umbrella at the beach, this kid with a HUGE chip on his shoulder would ask me, "Are you sure you don't already have one?". Um....yeah, I'm sure. And the people that we encountered at the reception desk should definitely NOT be on the welcoming committee. Rude....rude.....rude.

We never tried any of the restaurants on site, as I had read several reviews before our trip that the food wasn't all that great, and we wanted to explore the island. Overall, we still had a lovely time, but I'm not exactly sure we'd stay at Sundial again.

Room Tip: I think we stayed in the "J" building, which was close to the main office and main pool...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

3 Thank Jennjsmith
Dear Jennjsmith:
I am so surprised on your comments. As you read other comments here you will see how they are complimenting the staff, but for sure it seems like we dropped the ball with you.

I am glad that you say that you still enjoyed your self however that fact that you had two of our most important departments being rude to you is not acceptable under any circumstances.
I sincerely apologize for this and want to assure you that this is not the way that we operate.

I would like to get a little more information on your comments if possible. Again, I want to make sure that this doesn't happen again to anyone, and see if I can maybe pin-point some patterns. I would like the opportunity to make this better for you and your family.
My email is below so please feel free to contact me that way. If you feel better talking on the phone please send me an email and I will call you or send you my direct line.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Julio.morales@sundialresort.com
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Spent three nights at the Sundial. The staff was pleasant, efficient and accommodating. We enjoyed our three breakfasts and one dinner. Food was tasty and presented well. Location is ideal for touring Sanibel and Captiva. Although it is an old resort, it is obvious that the new owners have put a lot of money into it. Our room was completely redone. It was in mint condition. It is ideal for families. There are many amenities included in the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Irishkilter
Dear Irishkilter:
Thank you for your review on your recent stay.
Yes, we are working on the units and we are hoping to be all done by the beginning of 2015.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The resort itself was nice and peaceful if you want to get away from it all. The grounds and activities were accommodating, while the rooms were nice, clean, and very spacious. The beach however, was not the best.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Carla W.
Thank you so much for your review on your recent stay.
You must had been here when we were having issues with the waters being "ice tea" color.
We were having some issues with Lakes being sent in to the gulf however that has been all taken care of for.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#8 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,272 reviews

Been to Sundial Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!