J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1945, this wildlife refuge occupies one-third of Sanibel Island and is a prime spot for birdwatching. Fees are required for Wildlife Drive. Wildlife Drive is closed on Fridays. There's an extensive and informative FREE visitor center, a fantastic wildlife drive, tram tours, kayaking, fishing opportunities, picnic benches, and even a free scavenger hunt style game and wildlife spotting app (Discover Ding) if you prefer a self-guided tour.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Go slow and look hard, you will be surprised at what you see if you really look. Don,to be in a hurry

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We only got to see the vistior center as the drive was closed. We were approached by one of the workers who was truly annoying and talked incessively, he started with "hey have you been here before". We pretty much stong armed us into watching a video and we only agreed so he would go away and he started the video for only us. No such luck as we exited he approached us at the end and said, "hey have you been here before". I merely walked away, but my wife took the information and some brochures and walked away. Not 3 minutes later he approached us again and asked, " have you been here before" I started cracking up and my wife thought we were being punked. She said to him, didn't we just have this conversation? He replies, "where did you get that brochure from?" With that and me being the supportive husband, walk away in tears from laughing so hard. My wife loses it in laughter and the guy finally leaves us alone. We snuck out before he asked us again if "we've been there before".

4  Thank Creeper523
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We drove through the refuge and only spotted one bird! It was very hot when we went so this might be why. I recommend going in the very early morning.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

What a lovely refuge for local wildlife.We saw egrets and flamingos but no crocodiles. Don't forget to bring your camera.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Tried to like this, went with an open mind. We stopped by the information center (boring) then went on the driving trail (actually more boring). Saw a couple of birds. I live in south florida, see water birds frequently, excellent place if you dig birds and can be entertained watching them with a telescope or binoculars. My daughter managed to see a turtle too (the things we see all the time in our pond)
for someone with toooooo much time on their hands and a true appreciation for quite nothingness this is the place to be. Of the three adults and two children that went, not a one of us could force ourselves to get into it. Pretty bad because my 7 year old can be entertained very easily!

3  Thank Lisa S