“On a lovely beach, but property needs some updating”

Sanibel Moorings Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 6 May 2010

This is an older property on a lovely beach. You can book beachside or dockside rooms. Dockside rooms are on the other side of the road but it is only a couple of minutes from the lovely beach. It was misleading as we booked a dockside room expecting to look out over the dock but this wasn't the case, we were on the dockside but looked out over the car park which wasn't what we had expected. After I complained we were offered a room looking out over the dock but it wasn't as nice as the original one so decided to go for the nicer room.
Nevertheless the condo, although old, was very clean and nicely decorated with a very comfortable bed and was extremely quiet at night.
There are two small pools which are quite old and I think the property does need some updating.
I also pre-paid when booking and didn't then expect to pay a resort fee on arrival, but was asked for this at check-in. We did pay this as it was insisted upon.
We will definitely go back to Sanibel Island as we fell in love with it but will look for a more modern property to stay at.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EnglishLady

Reviewed 3 May 2010

My husband and I and our 10 year old were at Sanibel Moorings from April 19-23rd. We flew into Fort Myers - rented a car - and stayed overnight at FM (Airport Hampton Inn - excellent) and went to the Moorings the following morning (Visited the Edison & Ford Winter estates, a must see - Edison was more than the inventor of the light bulb! - and Sun Harvest Citrus -caould have skipped this-). We did stop at the Publix that was closest to Sanibel before crossing the bridge (next time I'll shop at Jerry's in Sanibel - has better variety but you have to pay a little more). This was our first time in Sanibel and also renting a condo/apt for a vacation and we loved it. We were in Building #9 - Apt. 941 - 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms - with a garden view. It was fine not having the beach to look at. The Apt. was immaculate - well stocked with all the utensils, crockery and cutlery. You name it they had it except a pot scrubber - a dishcloth didn't do it for me. You need all your food items, even the salt and pepper. The pillows were a little too soft for me, but if you like soft pillows they should be fine. The courtyard had grills available. I used the laundry. Did not use the fitness center - which was housed in a tool shed like building. When there is a beach and bike/walk paths from one end of the island to the other I did not see any reason to use the fitness center. The grounds were well maintained with lots of tropical flora. Loved sitting in the porch and having my coffee in the morning, or a glass of wine in the evening. The first 2 days we walked, went to Ding Darling, Shell Museum, CROW and drove to Captiva (no bike paths to walk, I am glad I was not staying there). My son was happy to be in the pool the last two days. He made lots of friends - and during the day our condo area was noisy because the pool was so close to it, but once the sun went down and all the kids were in bed, there was quiet. I did not want a noisy place with people partying and keeping us awake. The Moorings had a wonderful mix of grandparents who are residents, visiting family members and tourists like us. I walked four miles a day on the beach - saw sting rays, dolphins, great blue herons, white egrets, and lots of shore birds. The beach was the site of four protected snowy white plover nests. And of course there were shells and more shells. We ate out one meal a day - more about that in my restaurant reviews. We could have done a better job eating at home - I cook and everything I ate was good, but not wow for the amount of money I paid - except the Mad Hatter - amazing meal and sunset, but it costs an arm and a leg. As I told my husband - I don't have to go to the Caribbean anymore - Sanibel & Sanibel Moorings is just fine. I really don't want too many people to know about this place! I would recommend this place even to our friends in their 50's who don't have children.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2010

My friend and I stayed at Sanibel Moorings with our 3 kids, ages 7,8 & 9. We had a great time....so much fun in fact, that we stayed an extra day. The gardens around the complex were beautiful. Even though we stayed on the canal side, the beach was a very short walk from our condo. The unit was well equipped, very clean, and exactly what we expected. The staff was very friendly, the pools were clean and well kept. The beach was beautiful and full of shells. We are already talking about going again next year for spring break and maybe visiting during the summer when the rates drop to almost half price.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jrtforme
Reviewed 22 February 2010

This exceptionally nice family resort fronts onto the Gulf and backs onto a boater's channel. Its complimentary amenities include tennis courts, basketball nets, heated pools, a computer center, gas BBQ grilles, and beach chairs. The condo units are fully-equipped. The staff are friendly and helpful. The location is excellent - on the beach, one minute off the causeway and close to the Periwinkle shops and restaurants. You can't go wrong with this place if you are looking for a good place to be on Sanibel for the first time - or for many times thereafter, for that matter.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2010

We stayed in #322 and were absolutely delighted with our stay. The pictures did not do it justice. The condo was well furnished, the porch was wonderful and our daughter loved watching the little owl that lived in the bird house right outside the porch.

It was just a short walk through the beautifully landscaped grounds to get to the beach, and there were always plenty of chairs and lounges available.

Our condo (and the whole complex) was quiet and calm. It was a longish walk down to pinochio's or the lighthouse for snacks and breakfast. I'm pretty confident that we could have gotten everywhere on bikes and didn't really need the car.

We loved it so much we're already planning a return trip next year and plan to make this a family vacation destination for years to come.

1  Thank buckfam
Reviewed 30 December 2009

We stayed in condo 1112, a 2BR/2BA condo. It was very tastefully decorated. The view of the gulf sitting on the livingroom couch or from the screened in patio was breath taking. The kitchen was fully stocked with all the dishes, glasses, utensils, pots and pans that you can ever need. The dining room was a little small. One word of advice, stop by the Walmart before you get on the island and get all your food/beach items for the week. It costs $6.00 toll each time you return back to the island. There is a Jerry's on the island, but it's more expensive and a little limited in what they carry. My husband and I traveled with 4 children, ages 12,10,5 and 3 and they had a blast! The pool is just a short walk from the condo. In fact, it's in the perfect spot from where this condo is located. The beach is just right out the front door and a short walk down the boardwalk. They have lounge chairs and umbrellas available for use. The water is so calm and warm that my two younger children could wear their swimmies and actually float and play in the water. Nothing like the pounding waves on Hunting Island, near our home. The star fish and tons of live conch shells we found were amazing!! The 2nd and 3rd sandbar at low tide is where you can find tons of them! Please respect the sea and animals and only catch and release. Shelling is definately best early morning when the high tide is going out. Gorgeous sun rise! Oh and don't forget the OFF! The no-seeums come out in full attack once the sun starts going down and early morning. They give our GA mosquitos a run for the money! The only thing that I hope they change by the time we return for our summer 2010 vacation is the master bedroom king size bed. It was wayyyyy to soft for me. The first night I didn't care, after driving for 11 hours in the car! I passed right on out and slept like a rock. But after 2-3 nights on it. It wasn't so comfy anymore and I was ready to be back in my bed! I felt like I was sleeping in a soft sink hole! But none the less, we will definately be coming back to this condo.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2009

The Moorings is a great place to stay! Our family has been vacationing in Sanibel for over 20 years. The tradition started with our parents and now our boys, 7 and 5 are growing up with the same great memories. We've tried different locations throughout the years, but the Moorings is always our top choice. The beach is very accessible, they have beach chairs on sight, which is a big plus. The landscaping and the grounds are very well kept, as well as the units. We have spent time in various units over the years and have always been very pleased with the accomodations. It is very family oriented and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family