“Shells. Shells, & Shells” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanibel Island Beach Resort

Sanibel Island Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Ames, Iowa
“Shells. Shells, & Shells”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was like a trip back into the 50's for us and we stayed 5 nights. The rooms were accessed from the outside with parking generally right in front of the room. Room was clean but the entire motel needs much tender, loving, care. The staff was always polite and readily changed us to a ground floor room at the wife's request. Parking was by permit (included with the room) and the beach was a short walk away. There were a lot of "rules" to abide by, "no shells in room", "lounge chairs on beach only 8am to 6pm", & "$50 hold on credit card for "incidentals". If you can live with these and the rather high off season price then this is a good place to stay

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Yes, there are a few "rules" some ours: no shells in rooms(some folks try to bleach them, not a good idea, you ruin the color, and some still have the creature inside-smell issue), and some the City of Sanibel: (leave nothing on the beach but footprints, all lounges & chairs must come off the beach at night) they like it as natural as can be. And as you probably know the $50. incidental hold is released from your card at check-out. To my knowledge all hotels do this. We do thank you for staying with us and do appreciate you sharing your comments!
danny@sanibelbeachresort.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival the front desk recognized my IHG platinum membership but then we got to the room. The place was just not clean. We found chocolate smeared onto one of the end tables and the bathroom needs cleaning and maintenance. A disappointment from what I am use to.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Derek V
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Not what we're used to either. Housekeeping normally a strong area for us. So I too am disappointed. I am sorry you had that experience at our hotel. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and be assured we will go over this in our staff meeting and get it corrected. We'll be much better next time, sorry we let you down.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

The location and layout is what makes this place. It does not look like your typical holiday inn aesthetically- it is very lush and beautiful. The rooms are dated decor and bedspread wise but they have a nice flat screen tv. The access to the beach is such a breeze! We enjoyed our one night stay and the front desk was professional and friendly. We spent most of our time in captiva so enjoying the area was really what we were after!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! I am going to agree with you the grounds and landscaping is very nice here(and I see it every day, still think it's amazing). Our staff is experienced and friendly. And also agree Captiva Island is a wonderful place to spend as much time as you can!
Thanks for your comments.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I am from Spring Arbor, Michigan.I came to Sanlibel with my discipleship program. When I went to Sanibel; I was granted to stay at the beautiful hotel Holiday Inn Sanibel Isalnd. Sanibel Island, is a beautiful place. The beach is absolutley gorgeous,filled with comfortable chairs to relax on.The pool at this resort, was phenominal, the temperature of the water was perfect, and they have a snack bar in the area. The lounge area is very relaxing.The hotel room was great and the beds were extremlely comfortable. There is a restaurant and the food was dellicious. The staff at the hotel, truly treat you like a guest. I was beyond blessed to be waited on by considerate, and attentive staff.They made my stay absolutley wonderful. Whenever I visit the area again, I will make sure I stay at this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I had a very pleasent stay. I only stayed for one night and the rooms were as advertised. The only service I had was that I tried their gorgous restaurant star fish grille. The 5oz sirloin well done was delious and juicy. They have a small menu, but they are very pricy. Dinner between me, my mom and little sis plus only 2 deserts came out to be $100 bucks tax included.

The atmosphere of that restaurant is very classy with low romantic style lighting. With a fake tree and lit stars in the middle of the restaurant and every table had wine glasses. The bar is nicely lit and built to the modern style. Breakfast there in my opinion is too expensive... exagerative, a glass of apple juice should not cost 6 dollars. It's Very nice for a couple who would like to spend one nice quite dinner night until you look at the bill.

We tried a small restaurant on periwinkle rd on the island called "the island cow". Lunch for 3 was no more than 40 bucks tax included but not including tip.

Overall I loved the location of the hotel because it was in middle of the entrance from the main rd and you could easily drive and check out all the other stores and restaurants on the main rd called periwinkle. It is really close to other hotels but it is so quite that you do not notice. The atmosphere is not for spring breakers it is very laid back with only sight seeing and sea shell hunting. And the beach in back of the hotel had PLENTY of sea shells. Oh and there are no water craft sports in walking distance from the hotel so kids will probably be bored.

Lastly I am not familiar with the gulf too much but i have walked and bathed in the sea water innthe northern part of the island and it is a bit more clearer and not so much a brown look as it was at the hotel which is further south...... Not sure if it changes through out the year or depends on the current..

All I know is that i liked it, and when I come back I probably wont come back to the same hotel only because I want to experience a different part of the island... unless the price is in my favor, I wouldnt mind staying here again.

anyway I hope my review was helpful in some way.

1 Thank Lourdes P
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Well of course your review is helpful. It is our report card. Looks like you did exploring around the island restaurants; and yes the prices do very somewhat. Our front desk offers a Dining Guide at no charge that publishes the island restaurants menus(and prices), and please feel free to ask any staff member their opinions, there are some wonderful restaurants on both Sanibel and Captiva, including our own Starfish Grille.
As to the water clarity is does vary with the tides, wind direction, thunder storms(stirs-up the bottom, gulf is shallow) and the fresh water releases from Lake Okeechobee this summer. Of late it looks pretty much normal(more blue-green) as the releases have been curtailed.
Thank you for your comments.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was my first time on Sanibel Island and it was GREAT. We Just got engage and want to get away for the weekend. Upon check we met Claudia she was very pleasant and helpful.
Our stay was awesome. one problem was our bed and Claudia and Paulette took great care of us they send some one up right away to check out the bed and we were please. Thank you t all the staff at the holiday inn.

THE STAFF WERE VERY HELPFUL. JIM AT THE FRONT DESK WAS ALSO WARM AND NICE. A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF WHO WORK THE WEEKEND OF 9/13/13.
I WILL BE RETURNING WITH MY FIANCE OR MY HUSBAND. THANK YOU ALL. YOU GUYS ROCK. BYE

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for choosing to stay with us! We appreciate your comments. It's nice have guests mention the staff because I know they do their best to have our guests enjoy our hotel and Sanibel Island. It will be a pleasure to see you again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Our experience started off with a free upgrade and just kept getting better. Maybe the nicest staff of any place I have stayed. We forgot a toiletry that the gift shop carries, but they refused to take any money for it. The location is right on the beach. Lounge chairs & umbrellas are provided. Also, several Pawley's Island style hammocks grace the property. Great looking tiki bar out back, always packed. I can't wait to go back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,232 reviews

Been to Sanibel Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!