“OK, not great”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Palm Coast
“OK, not great”
Reviewed 16 November 2011

This was my first time on Sanibel so I do not have any other hotels to compare this one to, other than other vacation spots like Siesta Key. The room, small but ok for single or couple, definately not two friends. Had ants and a GIANT SPIDER in my room the morning I was thinking about leaving or maybe staying an extra night. That made up my mind in a flash and I was so out of there. Other things were, first floor had people walking past room all the time and the place to rinse feet right outside my room so there was no privacy if I wanted to leave the curtains open at all. Also was not impressed by bedding AT ALL.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on first floor. Restaurant is excellent. Had only breakfast but their greek omelet was...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
West Bend, WI
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I vacationed at the West Wind this past week and couldn't have been more impressed. This is my third visit to Sanibel Island and I always enjoy the opportunity to return—and to stay at the West Wind. The staff is friendly and helpful, the pool bar serves amazing tropical cocktails, the Normandie Seaside Pub is always delicious, and the beachfront...the true jewel of this property. The West Wind's location is the westernmost of a string of Sanibel beach resorts, which ultimately affords it great exclusivity and privacy. It neighbors miles of multi-million dollar vacation homes. Walk the beach, go shelling, bask in the sun with a good novel, view the sea life, and never forget to stop for that sunset! To go, is to return. The West Wind embodies that expression to the fullest.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dannyerd
congleton, uk
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We were looking for a laid back, tropically resort, with a great location by the sea and 'boy' we were not disappointed. We chose a King Bed room with kitchenette, that overlooked the pool. The location was perfect with an adjacent, super, shell-filled, white, soft sand beach that stretched and stretched with companion holiday makers sharing 'acres' of space between us. While we chose to breakfast in our room, actually on the balcony, we were spoilt for great eating houses nearby. Great shopping was just minutes away and we wanted for nothing. Reception was warm and friendly and cycles could be hired. We would definitely return here and are already talking about at least a weeks stay next time!

Room Tip: 2nd floor, pool /sea views while the kitchenette option gives much greater flexibility.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fiestas1
somerset
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed in late October, and I feel the poor weather affected how we felt about the hotel, because we spent more time in the room than we would have if the weather have been better.
On arrival there was no welcome just two women signing us in, not one smile between them, the room as dark and in need of updating, especially the bathroom, though it was very clean.
There were problems with the lights and TV, I tried to get help without success and had to fix the problems myself.
The location is great, but I feel they could do more to warn about the insects, within an hour of sitting by the pool we were all covered in bites.
The fact that the restauraunt was not open meant we had to drive to go to dinner so it was no drinks with dinner for me.
The beds were very hard.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Lindenhurst, Illinois
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed here based on the reviews and enjoyed relaxing at the pool and beach despite the cloudy weather. The pool bar had a great collection of tropical drinks..bahama mama was delicious. Overall the room was not special but the location and peaceful nature of the place was refreshing. Bathrooms were nicely updated. The weekend staff could be a lot friendlier especially since the weekday staff was over the top. Try the hawaiian french toast with pineapple marmalade...yummy

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I pretty much echo the other good comments. Stayed four nights and found that the services and facilities are beyond what I expected for the price and the location is perfect.

• Stayed October 2011
Arizona
Reviewed 25 October 2011

The people who greeted and gave me my room keys were very nice and accomodating to say the least. I had to change my room request and they were very pleasant and made the change with a smile. The evening sunset proved to be spectacular and from the room I could see the pool and hear music, it was exactly what I was looking for .The walk onto the beach could not of been any closer and there were alot of shells for the taking. Once on the island it was a pretty easy find for their location. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#8 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!