Wife and I cam from the Marriott Marco which is beautiful and the polar opposite of the West Wind. We chose this spot from the TA reviews. When we first walked in...we weren't sure if we were even going to stay!..LOL Small room, tiny bathroom, motel like setting...but we ended up loving this property...we just had to figure it out and let it happen. The room is very small with two twin beds, so..well we would have preferred a queen. The property is two story and each room has a decent size screened in balcony...NO SMOKING on the balcony..I was looking forward to a cigar on the balcony, but no such luck. Rooms were unremarkable, small, with a fridge and stove....not much room for even the two of us. The hotel surrounds the pool like a "U" and the pool is very nice with a fantastic bar that is slightly elevated above the pool. Great bartenders and the prices are reasonable. Really nice view from the bar. The property has a restaurant on premises called the Normandy, open for Breakfast and lunch every day and for dinner on Friday and Saturday "in season". We ate dinner he one night and it was really lovely. You come to understand that there are a LOT of return guests to this property and that gives it some of its charm..this property really is like an old friend..comfortable and with a few quirks. We ate breakfast at the property twice which was very convenient...prices were reasonable and the food was decent if not slightly above average. The location to the beach is awesome..you are literally just steps from the ocean and our room had a partial ocean view. OK...The HUGE problem...No-see-ums...we both got chewed at this property and we suspect that they little buggers were in our room..my wife is very reactive to them and it really put a spoiler on her time on Sanibel. They pretty much tell you that the screens on the porch wont keep them out...you just have to hose yourself down with DEET to keep them off. We had some wine one night during sunset and didn't realize how bad they were...we of course did this before we had on insect repellant. The location is close to a couple good restaurants..we drove to them, but you could probably bicycle to them. We walked the beaches both days and really enjoyed Sanibel. Don't think we will go back, but we really did quickly appreciate how special the property and the island is. We had no problems/issues with children...Most of the guests were retired or at least slightly on the older side..very quiet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- West Wind Inn is a peaceful beach-front resort on 500 feet of shelling beach. Choice of rooms includes standard guest rooms with garden or Gulf views; and guest rooms with kitchenettes, with garden or Gulf views. Enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner at restaurant, Normandie ; or go casual with food and drinks at our Upper Deck Poolside Bar. Swim, shell and stroll our endless beach. Do laps in our large heated pool; relax at our poolside bar and umbrella-shaded tables and chairs. Play tennis and shuffleboard or venture off-site. Sanibel Island is home to world-famous Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge, outdoor recreation, theatrical venues, shopping, dining and historical attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your West Wind Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Wind Hotel Sanibel Island
- West Wind Sanibel Island
- West Wind Inn Sanibel Island, Florida