“Nice Inn”
Review of West Wind Inn

West Wind Inn
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Room was somewhat outdated but clean.
Bathroom was recently redone and was very nice. Has refrigerator and microwave in room. Close to beach, you can rent chairs and umbrella for the day also can rent bikes there. Friday night is happy hour by the pool and they serve sandwiches at that time also. Staff is very nice and friendly. No seeum bugs were bad when we were there so bring some bugs spray.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Janet F, Guest Relations Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

It sounds like you found all you needed for a great stay on Sanibel at West Wind Inn! Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This was our 10th stay at the Inn and in no way any less special than those before.

We noted the upgrades like the new bedspreads and the adirondack chairs overlooking the beach.

The pool bar staff were as pleasant as always and the laundry facilities quiet and available whenever we required.

Overall it was a first class stay despite some lousy weather.

I am a bit perturbed to learn that the Inn has new owners. I hope they will keep things just as they a.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for noticing our updates! We hope you keep continue to make West Wind Inn your Sanibel home.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Picked this property based on island location, (quiet end), amenities and other TA reviews. What sealed the decision was the availability of a 2nd floor Gulf View room with a screened porch overlooking the beach/Gulf. Great place for our daily "happy hour" and just relaxing in general. Never got tired of the view or the sound of the surf at night as we fell asleep. The pool area was also a nice place to hang-out, with an ocean view bar and plenty of towels always available. Staff we meet were friendly and helpful. Regarding the theft problems mentioned in recent reviews, we just kept all our valuables in the room safe and never worried.

Room Tip: Gulf view - 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RIS

The West Wind Inn is often said to be one of the best places to relax and recharge. We're glad you were able to find our pool, staff and rooms a great location to spend your time after a day on the beach!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Enjoyed about five days at this lovely inn, which has the most breath-taking view of the beach and the Gulf. You can't get any closer to the beach, which is the best place in the world for walking, wading, and shelling. The facilities were modest, but the price is reasonable and well worth it in the end. A troubling incident occurred on our floor the week I visited and was not addressed adequately by the management. In fact, I would not have known about it had he not asked me if I heard anything in the afternoon in his room. It seems our neighbor's laptop, iPhone, and passport were stolen by someone who had a key. It was at that moment that I was grateful for the safe in the room. I wonder if this hotel is being targeted by thieves or if this is a common occurrence that no one seems to be talking about it?

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Gulf on the second floor!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MM00re

Thanks for your comments. The security situation mentioned here was an isolated incident related to the guest that stayed there and is resolved. There are room safes in every room should any guest need extra security. Room safes are available at no additional charge.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Our favourite tropical stopping place is changing to new ownership.

The location of the West Wind has always impressed us and unfailingly provided the perfect Sanibel Island experience on every visit.

While a little tired and in need of some facelifting, it has been determined that the old girl has been sold and new management will soon be taking over. Not sure what this means for our perfect hideaway but we'll stand by hopefully for good news.

There is not much better than spending a cold December day (back home) watching the sun play on the surf while enjoying our West Wind stay.

Room Tip: Gulf view is great but every room is just a few short steps from the sandy, shell covered shore...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SueFromWinnipeg
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have been staying on Sanibel Island for 45 years and the first place I stayed when I was 10 was West Wind Inn (and stayed there as a family for many years until we bought on the island) and it will be the last time I stay there. Out of nostalgia, we stayed there overnight on November 14th, 2013. The front desk were disinterested when we tried to engage them in conversation about our history with the Inn. Our room was ok - smelled dank, not a great location, but ok. The worst part was that I left a very expensive white linen jacket in the room closet by mistake (we had come straight from the airport to the Inn so I knew where I had left it). A day or so later when I realized that I had left it in the closet I phoned immediately and was told that was a housekeeping issue, and housekeeping was gone so to leave a message. I did. No return call. I went to the Inn and they all seemed a bit disinterested and confused about who was to deal with finding it. The front desk at first said "we haven't seen it", then they said "Housekeeping would have it", then they said "I sent it to you in the mail". I asked where they sent it and why all of sudden did they remember it? They couldn't remember where they sent it until I said "Canada?" and they said "oh yes that's right". I believe in people so I left it at that hoping that my beautiful jacket would be in the mail as promised. No mail from the West Wind, No jacket, no apologies. The jacket was a gift from my husband and was special. It was obviously stolen from the room and the management didn't care at all. They lied about mailing it. They had all my information, which room I was in, credit card information, make and style of the jacket, everything to be able to contact me. There is no excuse for this. I always write usually glowing reviews because I believe in giving praise when warranted. But I also believe that people should be warned if they risk having items stolen or that management doesn't care. The West Wind used to be a warm friendly place. Not now..do not stay there. My beautiful Michael Kors jacket is gone and they don't care.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank carorab

We're sorry to hear of your experience. Nearly all of the personnel at the West Wind Inn have been working there for many years. The routine that is followed daily for items that are left in the room is that when a guest leaves something behind, the housekeeping staff bags the time with the room number and date and notifies the front desk. The desk contacts the guest and arranges to send the item back. Many times the item is sent at no charge. We are sorry you lost your important jacket and we're sorry for the confusion. It's not normally like that.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Clean, wonderful staff, great beach.

Don't miss this gem of a motel.

I would pass on the restaurant. So many other good places to eat.

Convenient location. Don't miss Ding Darling.

We rented a beach wheelchair and even disabled mother got to enjoy the beach and shelling. Younger ones loved the bike paths on the island. Very safe.

Room Tip: We had gulf front rooms that were great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Janet F, General Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for your endorsement! We're glad you were able to enjoy all the natural beauty that surrounds us at West Wind Inn! We ask that you give the restaurant another try when you visit again... The coconut french toast is a favorite amongst many our island guests!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
#9 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Waterside Inn on the Beach
Waterside Inn on the Beach
#7 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!